Star Ship Polaris

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by aridas sofia, Mar 3, 2008.

1. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh, I agree - I'd been assuming that interior areas of the vessel were something for other folks to work out as we got to them, based of course on any concept art you want to contribute. And we really do want to move forward with the ship exterior animations pretty quickly. Everyone's excited about working with this design.

And I neglected to say how cool the detailing of the pod bay area is right now. What you do is never what I expect. This thing really looks like it could work IRL. :)

2. Vektor

Vektor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I do give a fair amount of thought to how these things would actually function in addition to how they look. Helps to maintain the suspension of disbelief.

I'm making steady progress now that most of the detailing has already been worked out in 2D. I know you guys are chomping at the bit for it and I'm trying to squeeze in as much work on it as my other obligations will allow.

Should have more updates posted by tonight.

3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

So are you guys going to have "pod bay doors"? :D

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

You need to add a mat that says "welcome".:lol:

5. Vektor

Actually, that would be kinda cool. Based on the script, I can think of a couple of crew members who might find it amusing to paint "WELCOME" on the deck outside the pod bay.

Or not. :)

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Howie might do it for laughs.

7. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm reminded of Joss Whedon's comment about Zoic, where he'd ask them for a ham sandwich and they deliver a whole pig.

8. Vektor

Lots of added detail, cleanup and refinement of various parts:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

9. reanimatedfish

reanimatedfish Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The amount of detailing is bordering on preposterous. I wonder if Captain Logan can slip her into STO on the sly somehow? ;)

She's completely gorgeous. I love the mola mola type ship orientation. I can't wait to see this in action.

10. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Does anyone remember the old Gilligan's Island routine where the castaways would hear something on the radio and one would react and wonder aloud about it and then the voice on the radio would answer them?

So I was looking at the first picture and marveling at the well-crafted detail. "I wonder," I whispered to myself so no one else could hear, "what's supposed to be under those panels?"

I then scrolled down to the second picture and there was the answer. I kind of chuckled, but the hair on the back of my neck stood up. Well done, Vektor, but ... cut that out.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Gorgeous.

Uh, what's the poly count now?

12. Vektor

Current poly count is 315,446.

However, some of the most poly-heavy objects like the "sails" and the engine housings are still unoptimized Sub-D objects. As I freeze those and start cleaning them up, I can typically chop out anywhere from 25-50% of the polys. There are also a lot of polys in places that aren't visible that still need to be deleted, like the portions of the main saucer that are enclosed along the top and bottom edges.

Also, don't be misled by all those filleted edges. I'm using some smooth shading tricks to achieve that effect that don't require a lot of extra polys. It's nothing proprietary to 3ds Max, though, and should work exactly the same in Lightwave as long as the smoothing groups translate correctly.

13. Admiral Buzzkill

That's not a troublesome size at all. Thanks.

14. Vektor

15. Vektor

And yes, I know the pod bay has been covered by the orange stripe. It was just easier to model everything symmetrically front-to-back. I'll fix it in the next round of WIP images. ;)

16. Patrickivan

Patrickivan Fleet Captain Newbie

I didn't like this very much at first. But it's really grown on me. Especially as you've continued to trick it out. Can you include Anything for a sense of scale?

17. Vektor

Windows will be added soon.

18. Vektor

What, no Mac or Linux jokes?

19. Santaman

Santaman Vice Admiral Admiral

No... now show more of the pretty stuff.. ;) :p

20. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!!