ST:TNG Resistance (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Species7582, Aug 24, 2007.

1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

There's been some discussion of that in the "Cast the Characters of Trek Literature" thread.

2. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

I've finally finished this ... Because of the end, I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not.

It was a quick read, and I liked the introduction to the new characters ... It's about time we have someone in there who not only disagrees, but does so for a logical reason, not simply to be the "bad guy."

The thing that colors this in a bad way for me is Janeway. She's about freaking useless, and to sit there and be so self-righteous while coming down on Picard for losing a couple people and saving billions ... well, pompous is a perfect word to describe her.

Janeway threatens Picard with a court-martial for disobeying orders. This is the same Janeway who lost over half her crew, murdered whenever she saw fit, and has no problem killing an alien when she believes it might be withholding coffee from her.

And SHE comes down on HIM?

And Picard just sits there and takes it like a bitch. The same Picard who became Locutus for a second time just rolls over and takes it from someone who should clearly be spending the rest of her life in prison?

What. The. Fuck?

3. Baerbel Haddrell

Baerbel Haddrell Commodore Commodore

Picard probably thought: “I very much disagree but arguing with her at this point wouldn`t do any good.”

I think what Picard did was wise. Don`t worry – if it comes to a court martial, he will fight Janeway. But starting a shouting match with her at that time would only raise Picard`s blood pressure, make Janeway even more stubborn and irrational – and at the end make matters worse. It wasn`t worth it.

4. OmahaStar

I'm still curious whether Jeanne is a fan of Janeway, or hates her with a passion.

On the pro-J, well, she appears. She's clearly in a position directly above Picard, and has the ability to order the captain of the Flagship of the Federation to surrender command of the ship to a civilian former-Borg.

On the anti-J, Picard was right about everything, and despite J's interference, he stopped the Borg from destroying Earth and killing billions, losing only 7 people in the process. J could only sit there and bluster, while ignoring her own incompetence, showing full well that incompetent people fail upwards in the chain of command.

5. KRAD

KRAD Keith R.A. DeCandido Admiral

Just to give credit where it belongs, it was Nemesis that established all of that.

6. OmahaStar

Being an Admiral, yes. Being able to put Seven in command of the Enterprise, above Picard, though?

7. Christopher

There was never anything about "putting Seven in command of the Enterprise." Picard's command of the vessel was never in question. Rather, Janeway sent Seven of Nine to be in charge of investigating the Borg situation that Picard claimed to exist, and to take the lead in determining the best strategy to deal with that situation if it proved real. Her role would've been analogous to that of, say, Ambassador Fox in "A Taste of Armageddon" -- a civilian advisor with the backing of the UFP government, someone who sets policy for the particular mission that the ship is on. That's totally different from being the commanding officer of the ship itself.

8. Magickthise

Magickthise Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I still don't understand how Beverly could possibly have Picard's Borg parts on hand. Wouldn't Starfleet have them for study? And even if Beverly had been allowed to keep them for whatever reason, wouldn't they have been damaged or more likely destroyed when Enterprise-D was destroyed, depending on which part of the ship they were kept in? Considering their importance to Resistance's plot, this seems like a pretty big plot hole to me.

9. Christopher

I would imagine it wasn't the parts themselves she had on hand, but the necessary specs to replicate them on demand.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then again, we *have* seen ambassadors like that, when they actually try to take command and give Kirk orders...Fox, 'Commissioner' Ferris, etc.

11. Christopher

Yes, but being in command of a mission is a different thing from being the commanding officer of a ship. Being in a position to give a ship's captain orders about how to carry out a particular mission is not the same thing as relieving that captain of duty and taking his or her place in the vessel's chain of command.

12. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just recently finished reading Resistance and enjoyed it.Picard did the right thing by defying Janeway. janeway was wrong about he borg .I also liked how Beverly Crusher was portrayed in this book and the decisions she had to make were dealt with when it came to the Borg and making him into Locutous again.And the rescue of him and Worf and Beverley getting him back. i liked the new characters in the book T'Lana is a very nice addition to the crew. I look forward in seeing how the story is continued in future books.