ST: Independence - "Cui Bono"

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Dnoth, Jan 17, 2010.

1. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

I can see at least 3 ways this whole situation could blow up in their faces-I'm looking forward to reading more as you'll probably come up with a fourth.

2. DavidFalkayn

DavidFalkayn Commodore Commodore

Nice...Sintina and the Indy's back and with a difficult First Contact situation. A great way to get back into the game!

3. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I too am curious about Easton. He's going to have another role to play here, of that I'm certain. The question is, is he really as honest and as unassuming as he appears ...

Also like your focus on the doctor here. I have a soft spot for stories that have strong story arcs for the CMO.

4. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The character moments were really great. I'm glad you're focusing on Faltyne and Zo'Kama here. Really good character work. Thanks for also using a little UT inner continuity with the mention of the Crimson Shadow and the S31 agent inside the president's administration.

You're developing Easton the right way. The responses you're getting is proof of that. We don't quite know what to make of him, is he being honest, is he a double-agent, etc., so you've got us intrigued and involved and wanting to unravel this mystery right along with the Indy crew.

Loved the episode with the Pegasus, and I'm glad you referenced it. I just hope that during the middle of your story members of the Indy crew don't decide to 'learn a lesson' by bringing up a ENT NX-01 holoprogram.

5. Dnoth

Dnoth Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Excellent reminder, thank you. ;)

LOL...no, no let's not do that. :rolleyes:

I should have the next chapter up this weekend. Again, thanks everybody for reading!

6. Dnoth

CHAPTER 3

Stardate: 54613.5 (13 Aug 2377)
    USS Independence, Main Engineering
    En Route to the H’Kan System

It was the first time Windslow had seen Lieutenant Commander La Forge with his ocular implants. Ethan didn’t know the man personally. In fact, he had only met the Enterprise engineer once before at a conference.

Geordi’s unnatural eyes dimly glowed a soft light blue from across subspace. “Commander,” he continued, “Do you realize the files you’re requesting are classified?”

Ethan placed his hand over his terra cotta goatee for a moment before rejoining, “Yes, I do.”

The African leaned back and sighed slightly. He looked off screen, presumably to see if anyone was in earshot. Then, he leaned back in, “Look, shortly after that mission, Starfleet Intelligence ordered Captain Picard to turn over all the data we had on the interphasic cloak.”

Dejected, Windslow glanced down and began, “I understand.”

“Why do you want the information, anyway?” Geordi fished.

Suddenly realizing how it would look if he didn’t tell the truth, he admitted, “We believe we are being pursued by a vessel utilizing such a device. I’m trying to find a way to beat it.”

“The Independence is well within Federation space, who do you think is after you?” La Forge challenged.

Windslow grimaced. He had told La Forge this much. The only hope of eliciting his trust was to tell him everything.

Supplemental
    USS Independence, Captain’s Ready Room

The trio of Aurelia, bin Nadal, and Faltyne entered the office adjacent the bridge. The captain settled at her desk, the other two in chairs next to it. Sintina started the meeting off, “Ok lieutenant, what have you found out about our guest?”

The Andorian handed each of them a padd, “Most of his back story checks out, at least up until about five years ago.”

“What happened then?” came for Karim.

Jonin continued, “According to Mr. Easton, he was officially employed by the government of Caldos I in 2372. However, I found out he was listed as steward of a residence on Archanis IV at the same time.”

“That system was annexed by the Klingons that year,” observed Aurelia.

The security chief confirmed her memory with a nod.

“That doesn’t necessarily mean anything,” offered bin Nadal. “Just because he had property there…”

Jonin jumped in, “Mr. Easton also said he had never been married.”

“But,” prompted Sintina.

“A Clara and Mira Easton, mother and daughter, were listed as civilian casualties when the Klingons invaded the planet. Genetic records confirm Mira was Clayton’s offspring.”

A solemn toned Sintina supposed, “So we can’t trust him.”

Karim again defended Clayton, “Even if…”

Aurelia cut him off, “He lied, Karim! That’s enough for me.”

“I still haven’t determined what his true agenda is,” reported Jonin.

Although the wind had been taken out of his sails, bin Nadal added, “It’s possible he’s still telling the truth about 31.”

Sintina rested her elbows on the desk, “I’m not going to assume that. Have Kimula keep working on him. Maybe she can get something out of him.”

“And if she can’t?” asked the Andorian.

The captain’s face hardened. She had had enough of these mind games. She would make sure the truth would come out one way or another. She surprised herself a bit when she found herself saying, “Then Lieutenant…it will be up to you to get him to talk. Use whatever means are necessary.”

Both officers were taken aback. After glancing at his first officer, Faltyne stated firmly, “I’ll use any legal means at my disposal, ma’am.”

The Latina’s face was a void. “Of course,” she responded flatly. “Dismissed.”

Supplemental
    USS Independence, Holodeck Two

Upon entering the holodeck, Doctor Zo’Kama was surprised to have the sun in her eyes. The scene was an M-class planet. A field of trimmed, green grass was before her, a blue sky overhead. Nearby, her daughter and some others were engaged in some type of sport. They were kicking a white and black sphere along the ground. Large nets were at opposite ends of the field.

There were only six children aboard ship. It seemed all of them were here, along with Susan Windslow, Ethan’s mate, and a few other off-duty personnel.

The Arkonian stood at the edge of the playing field and stood observing for some time before Zo’Kala noticed.

The young reptilian ran to her. “Go’chama,” she said, breathing through her mouth, “We are playing a Terran game. Mrs. Windslow taught us.” Lacking sweat glands, she held her mouth wide open.

In Arkonian society, the biological parents of children have no obligation to raise them. Go’chama means something more akin to ‘female life-giver’ than ‘mother.’ Despite tradition, Zo’kama choose to keep her daughter and raise her. Though, within a year or two, it would be time for Zo’Kala to strike out on her own.

“I’ve brought you some ta’rat’ush,” said the doctor as she handed her offspring a bottle of brown liquid.

Arkonians had a fairly unique physiology. Not only were they reptilian, but life on their planet was not based on water. Instead, life was based on a brownish liquid known as ta’rat’ush. In addition to that, their species’ saliva had a dermal healing property.

The child chugged it down, “Thank you, Go’chama.”

“Do not over exert yourself,” Zo’Kama reminded her, “Humans are capable of higher endurance than our species.”

“I won’t,” she said and she ran back to the game.

The doctor decided it would be best to have a cool bath ready for Zo’Kala when she got home.

Supplemental
    USS Enterprise, First Officer’s Office
    Sector 18945

“Enter,” called Commander William Riker after the door chime sounded. He was working on crew evaluations. It seemed an unending cycle to him. The administrative part of command was never something he enjoyed. He welcomed the distraction.

Geordi walked in with a sense of urgency. “Commander,” he began, “I just got an interesting call from the Independence.”

“Sintina Aurelia’s ship? She’s always interesting,” he jibed, but the look on La Forge’s face prompted Will to forgo the wit.

“Her chief engineer, a man by the name of Ethan Windslow, just asked me for data about the interphasing cloak from the Pegasus.”

Riker stood up, concern in his eyes. He was all too familiar with the Pegasus Incident.

Supplemental
    USS Independence, Captain’s Quarters

“Mango juice,” Sintina ordered from her replicator. It materialized and she took a long sip. She set it down on a nearby table. As she walked to the couch, she unzipped her black uniform jacket and removed it. After that, she took off her red shirt, revealing a gray undershirt. The captain nearly fell into the couch. It had been a long day. She got nearly five seconds of relaxation when the comm. activated.

“Bridge to Captain Aurelia.”

Sintina didn’t move. The voice was Petty Officer Dorian. She’d left the conn to him a few minutes earlier. “Did you break my ship already, Dorian?” she joked.

“Not this time, ma’am. You have an incoming message.”

She reluctantly sat up, “Fine. Route it down here.”

“Aye.”

A monitor mounted on the bulkhead snapped to life. A face from her past looked back at her. “Will? What do you want?” She truly didn’t intend to be rude. She was more confused than anything else.

“Well, nice to see you too.”

“You have to admit,” she retorted, “The last time we met wasn’t under the best of circumstances.”

The last time they talked was nearly a year ago. The Enterprise and the Independence fought off a squadron of Alshian warships together. Just prior to the battle, Picard overrode the Independence’s command functions. He thought Sintina was too impulsive and would provoke a fight, while he was trying to avoid it. She had never really gotten over that. Nothing got under her skin like someone thinking she was incompetent to command…perhaps because she secretly feared the same thing.

Will, on the other hand… Will had spent his last night on the Hood with her. At the time, she was the helm officer. For a while, she entertained the idea of continuing a relationship with him. It soon became obvious, however; he had no intention of keeping in contact with her. She had long since come to peace with that. It was, what it was: a night of fun, that’s all.

As much as Riker didn’t want to start off on the wrong foot, he found himself defending his CO, “Captain Picard did what he thought was best.”

“And I’m sure you tried to talk him out of it, too,” she said sardonically.

Riker stated, “Look, I didn’t call to rehash the past.”

“So why did you?”

Will sat up straight, “Do you know you’re chief engineer has been asking for classified information?”

She rejoined half-mockingly, “Well, it wouldn’t be the worst thing he’s ever done.”

Obviously not amused, he continued, “He claims you might be being tailed by a Starfleet ship using an interphasic cloak. Is that true?”

“It’s true that we think it might be true.”

He leaned in, “Do you have any evidence?”

She sighed, “Not exactly.”

Riker leaned back.

“Have you told Picard about this?” she questioned.

“Not yet. I wanted to talk to you, first.” Then, he suggested, “But maybe I should.”

“What? Why?”

“Trust me. If there is a Starfleet ship using one of those cloaks, Captain Picard will want to know.”

She puffed, “How? By asking Command? Good luck with that.”

“I wouldn’t underestimate the man if I were you, Sintina,” he declared.

The captain crossed her arms. She light-heartedly cautioned, “You might cause more trouble than I’m worth.”

Will smiled, “Let us deal with that.”

A grin escaped from Aurelia as well.

“One more thing, Sintina.” He offered, “The Enterprise has come across phasing technology on a few different occasions. I’ll send you what we have.” The conversation lagged for a moment. He concluded with, “I’m waiting for a ‘thank you.’”

Sintina rolled her eyes. “Thank you.”

The commander tilted his head, “You’re welcome. Riker out.”

7. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

I continue to really enjoy your look into Dr. Zo'Kama's life. The more I see of her, the more I find myself liking her. Personally, I admire a character who, even though motherhood was a choice, took that upon herself willingly. I'm curious, do Arkonians lay eggs as opposed to giving live birth? How are the eggs cared for? And what was it in Zo'Kama's particular personality and upbringing that made her choose to keep her own child instead of (is this right?) picking out a different one? Might it be related to the same personality traits that drew her to medicine? I may be wrong, but I'm getting the distinct feeling of a naturally nurturing type of personality.

(This is not something I've ever had to consider in my own work--I see the Cardassian-type therapsid as giving live birth the way a mammalian would; the way we've seen their families structured suggests live birth.)

You have me SO curious about Arkonian biology and sociology. How old is Zo'Kala? Will she be out on her own at an earlier age than a human child? (And I wonder, how would Arkonians feel about mammalian and therapsid children needing their parents so much longer than their own species?)

Another neat point was seeing that (for once) the humans were actually the stronger species, in endurance terms. I'm used to seeing humans portrayed as weaker than most species, so that's an interesting twist on it.

I think I would really enjoy meeting with her and talking comparative evolutionary biology and sociology with her--I hope she'd be open to it if she knew it was someone who was genuinely fascinated, and not afraid or disdainful!

Now on to the plot itself...I'm still rather surprised that Windslow actually asked about the Pegasus incident on an open channel. Given that they ARE being trailed, even with encryption I'd be worried about a trailing Section 31 vessel breaking whatever encryption they had and figuring out that the Independence is onto them.

I like the mention, though, that they came across that technology in multiple instances, though... ;)

(Oh, and mango juice for the captain? I should introduce her to my custom Starbucks drink--mangoes and cream! Kind of a takeoff on the strawberries-and-cream blend. ;) )

8. CeJay

So Easton has been found out as a liar. It doesn't exactly make him trustworthy but I wouldn't disregard him as Section 31 plant or worse just yet. If he was, I'm sure his background story would have been much more difficult to disprove.

Interesting in bringing the Big-E into things as well. Let's see how well Aurelia plays with others this time around. She doesn't exactly have a great track record as a team player.

9. Dnoth

First off, thank you for all the interest. I must be doing something right. :)

While Arkonians are a canon species (ENT: "Dawn"), I've taken certain liberties...

Yes, they are laid in communal hatcheries. It is a community effort to care for them.

Again, while biological parents are recognized in Arkonian society, the responsibility for raising them is shared by the whole community. It is not a direct obligation of the Go'chama.

Zo'Kama made her choice due to circumstances and observation. Zo'Kala was born/hatched while Zo'Kama was serving aboard the USS Geronimo. It was impractical at the time to return the hatching to Arkonia. Besides, she figured if other parents can do it "alone," so could she. I'm sure she's become more maternal from being in Starfleet and observing.

14 Terran years. Zo'Kama also has a son, 29, who is serving on the USS Mantis. He was raised "traditionally."

Arkonians believe in more of a "sink or swim" mentality when it comes to raising young. They probably think other species are too overprotective of their young.

She'd be all for that.

I think the Indy crew figures they've got nothing to lose at this point.

I'm thirsty. That sounds good. :drool:

10. Nerys Ghemor

You're welcome! What can I say--you fired my imagination! :)

The sink-or-swim mentality when it comes to the young makes sense...I have to imagine there are some psychological differences that come of not having their young actually gestating inside a womb for several months. Also, does an Arkonian come out of the egg in a more capable state than a mammalian species' baby? That would also add to it, I think, if there was less of a period of needing their parents to do everything for them.

(BTW, I find a bit of humor in the term "Go'chama"...the latter part reminds me of chaim, which is Hebrew for "life." Was that intentional?)

Oh, and glad you like the drink idea. You should try it. And if you like it, maybe Aurelia should try it! ;)

11. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some terrific work here with Zo’Kama, and we get to learn some interesting new facts about her life and family outside her work on the Indy.

Easton’s turning out to be a cagy customer, though one wonders why he would make his backstory so transparently false?

After Sintina’s last encounter with Enterprise I’m not terribly surprised La Forge and Riker are a bit surprised to be hearing from Captain Aurelia. Here’s hoping Jean-Luc will be willing to part with what he knows, or at least convince Starfleet Command to cough up some information that could prove helpful to Independence and her crew.

12. Dnoth

Again, thanks to everybody for reading and commenting.

...I had no idea about it being similar to Hebrew.

CHAPTER 4

Supplemental
    Vuke Carrier Three
    In Orbit of H’Kan VB (Va’rak)

Alpha Kudal walked briskly down the dull, brown corridor. The humidity was so thick, it could be seen. It was normal for Vuke spacecraft.

Kudal walked passed some males working. As with most Vuke males, they had green scales with black or brown feathers on their head. They didn’t acknowledge her in anyway. Other than to mate, males and females rarely interacted. One sex wasn’t necessarily superior to the other, it’s just over the millennia it has been found that males had an aptitude for physical labor and defense, while females were better suited for administration and leadership.

Generally, females had tan scales and bright, multi-colored feathers. Kudal’s feathers, for example, were a rainbow of blues, purples, yellows, and reds.

The Vuke were technically reptilian, however, they obviously had Avian characteristics. Their eyes had vertical pupils. The species had a beak-like mouth – though they had impressive canine teeth, - and their knee articulation was “backwards” compared to humans.

The traditional attire for her species consisted of thick leather from a large mammalian predator from the homewold. Clothing was less for comfort or modesty, than status. It was a right of passage to kill the beast and handcraft one’s own clothing from the hide. Designs varied depending on region. There was no formal Vuke uniform, simply because there was no formal Vuke military. It was simply how they lived.

Kudal reached the projection room. She sat on the floor in a bird-like way. The projector was activated. In the center of the room, an image appeared. It was a Vuke, but a very rare type of Vuke. She had golden scales and white feathers, the mark of royal blood.

Alpha Kudal bobbed her head down slowly, “Prima Alpha Johem,” she said by way of greeting to the projection.

The matriarch had direct control over every aspect of society. Her line had ruled for nearly one-thousand years. Johem had only one thing on her mind, “Have you made any progress lead healer?”

Kudal looked up, “I regret to report, no, Prima Alpha.”

“Do you need more test subjects?”

Carrier Three had become a huge lab, though not by intent. The healer had been ‘given’ three-thousand corpses to study and over 500 healthy Vuke to do with as she pleased in efforts to cure the plague. Despite all the resources her kind could offer, she was still no closer to solving this puzzle. Johem would have probably already executed her for failure, but being isolated on the ship was death sentence enough.

The golden scaled reptile sighed, “Unfortunate.” She added, unemotionally, “Do not attempt to land or dock with any other vessel. If you do so, you will be destroyed.” The image faded away quickly.

Supplemental
    USS Independence, Main Engineering

Windslow was excited by the new information the captain had given him. He was finishing up the story. “So when they flooded the compartment with anyons, La Forge and Ro reappeared.”

“Great,” exclaimed Tang. “So all we have to do is scan for chroniton fields and that will give away the ship’s position.”

Ethan tempered his own excitement, “Not exactly. La Forge and Ro only created chroniton fields when they passed through normal matter. There’s so little matter in space, we won’t be able to detect them. Even if we could,” he added, “It would take a massive amount of anyons to force something as large as a ship back into our quantum state.”

“So what are you so wound up about?” asked the science officer.

With a wide grin, Ethan grabbed an armband from a console, “Once, La Forge was able to encompass personnel in a subspace isolation field that enabled them to observe things in a different quantum reality.”

“How’d he adjust the field?”

Ethan pointed at the armband, “Using a type-7 phase discriminator, just like the ones in Starfleet emergency transporter armbands.”

Zian caught on, “So if we could determine the quantum displacement of the enemy ship…”

“We could see them,” finished Windslow.

The science officer wanted to wrap his head around this more. “So wait…the only people that could see the ship would be people in the subspace field.”

“That’s right.”

Tang thought some more, “And how do we find out the specific quantum displacement the ship is using?”

Windlsow stared off for a moment, “I have no idea.”

Supplemental
    USS Enterprise, Captain’s Ready Room
    Sector 18945

Captain Picard gazed at his reflection in the window; beyond it was the great blackness.

Riker spoke up from behind him. He had just finished briefing Jean-Luc on the situation. “If a faction of Starfleet Intelligence is still using that cloak…”

Picard turned and finished his thought, “Then, they are violating the Treaty of Algeron and possibly risking war with the Romulans.” The captain paced a bit and ran his fingers through hair that had long since been gone. “I have heard rumors…whispers…over the years of an above-top-secret echelon within Starfleet, but these are just rumors.”

Will stroked his beard, “Admiral Pressman did say he had powerful friends.”

Picard snapped, “No one should be above the law, Will. Not in the Federation.”

Riker rejoined, “I whole-heartedly agree, but the question remains: what can we do about it?”

The Frenchman returned to the portal, “Pressman isn’t the only one with friends.”

13. BrotherBenny

BrotherBenny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uh-oh, I have learned that it is best not to get on the wrong side of Picard. He has a nasty habit for making lives extremely difficult for those he has issue with.

yippy-ky-yay-muthafu**a

14. Nerys Ghemor

Wow...Picard showing some willingness to kick ass, even if indirectly. Very nice!

And I liked the first look into Vuke culture--I'm so glad to see you remembered the ties between reptilians and avians...at least on Earth, that's definitely the case.

15. CeJay

The Vuke are already a fascinating species. They are also aggressive and desperate. That could be an explosive, not to mention dangerous combination for Indy and her crew.

And I wonder what Picard is willing or able to do against Section 31.

16. DavidFalkayn

DavidFalkayn Commodore Commodore

Zo'Kama has grown on me--I forgot to mention it earlier, but I like her comments regarding mammals and reptilians--let's be honest, how many here have at least once in their lives recoiled from an otherwise harmless reptile--instinctual responses are strong. I also enjoyed your bringing in Riker and the big E--nicely done!

17. Nerys Ghemor

Heh...I actually haven't had problems in the way of reptiles. INSECTS, however...ohhhhh boy. I might have problems calming down for an exam if an insectoid were doing the examining, unless I were VERY familiar with the personality in question.

My likely response to a reptile and/or lizard tends to be more along the lines of "awww, cute," unless we're talking something very, VERY likely to be lethal, like an alligator or a dinosaur. Snakes have never bothered me. I'd be freaked if I knew there was a poisonous one around, but non-poisonous snakes...they're adorable!

18. mirandafave

mirandafave Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Interesting insight into the Vuke. I like the descriptions and the efforts at fleshing out an 'alien of the week'.

Meantime, Windslow is working towards discovering a way around the cloak. I like the discussions and theories being put out and debated. A real collaborative effort.

Another collaboration going on is Picard and Riker. They don't like the sounds of what the Indy has gotten into. I wonder just what friends Picard has and whether they are as untainted with S31 as he seems to think.

19. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

The Vuke sound like heartless beings towards their own. So what binds them together as a society?

As far as Zo'Kama's species regarding young ones-have you ever read Turtledove's Colonization series? There's a reptilian race in there that deals with their young much the way you describe.

The big E getting into the story just added depth to an already fine tale.

20. TheLoneRedshirt

TheLoneRedshirt Commodore Commodore

I'm very much enjoying this story! The Vuke are a particularly interesting species (with a particularly deadly problem). I somehow doubt that they will readily welcome assistance from the Indy.

Great character work! I too have enjoyed the backstory on the Arkonians. Also like seeing the involvement of Enterprise, even if it's from a distance.

I'm enjoying all of the little sub-plots that are developing. Looking forward to more! :techman: