ST: Gibraltar - Sumpta Vulnera

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by Gibraltar, Dec 27, 2022.

1. Robert Bruce Scott

Robert Bruce Scott Commodore Commodore

This line really opens up a lot of potentials... Of course simply being assigned to command a ship named "Gibraltar" would be enough to trigger repressed Gibraltar-related trauma. No doubt it's more than that. Still, someone at Star Fleet Personnel should be slapped...

So could carrying Klingon Timenomite in the present ripple back through the new Gibraltar's past and have kicked off Lightner's heebee geebees? Possibly even before he set foot on board?

You've really done a great job of selling Lightner's issues. And the Klingons killing off the kryptonite researchers smacks of Klingon pragmatism mingled with something like a samurai attitude toward life. A lone DTI agent? There's just something wrong about that...

Mysteries... keep piling them on!

Thanks!! rbs

Gibraltar likes this.
  2. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man, Lightner is all screwed up. So much so they had to bring in a counselor with an ego (nice!). It sounds like he's been through more in the past than even we realized. The man turned into a guerilla fighter at some point? That's tough. And now the time-stream might be messing with him as well. This isn't going to end well, is it?

Gibraltar and Robert Bruce Scott like this.
  3. Gibraltar

Gibraltar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lt. Wójcik, Operations Officer and now acting Executive Officer opened the briefing in the ship’s observation lounge.

“There have been no further signs of Romulan activity in this system since our battle with the Revisionist squadron. Systems repairs are complete and we’re ready to resume operations.”

She gestured to Lt. Avritt as she resumed her seat. “Science?”

Avritt activated the viewscreen set into the interior bulkhead, calling up an image of the battered D’deridex-class warbird in its decaying orbit of the planet.

Text and graphic overlays appeared, highlighting various damage suffered by the vessel and the aberrant energy signatures still radiating from its shattered hull.

“Dr. Kemet confirmed that the Revisionists have some effective temporal weapons, to include a torpedo-like device that appears to create chronometric deviations in the subatomic structure of a vessel’s shields. Essentially, the individual subatomic particles are sent on random temporal trajectories, some of them spinning off into the future, some into the past, and others to distant albeit concurrent locations.”

1971 piggybacked on Avritt’s thesis. “The shields not only fail, but their control systems are then unable to reintegrate them, despite there being no physical damage to the generators themselves and sufficient energy to do so.”

Lightner looked pointedly to Avritt. “You said there had been some research into defenses against such a weapon?”

Avritt nodded reluctantly. “Yes, sir. However, that was against the rogue starship’s Masada’s temporal weaponry, which was delivered via energy pulse. Same overall effect, but a much different delivery system and design architecture. I’m unsure if the proposed modulations to our shield nutation would be sufficient to protect us.”

“It’s better than nothing,” Lightner remarked, turning in his chair to gesture at the image of the scuttled warbird. “And this is what nothing looks like.”

Wójcik spoke up. “It should be noted that none of the Romulan ships we tangled with showed any signs of chronometric weaponry, sir, so it’s likely not a widespread technology among them.”

Lightner looked to Special Agent Pokrol, who had remained silent so far.

“Does DTI have any further intelligence on the Revisitionists’ temporal tech?”

“We don’t, which makes them especially vexing,” Pokrol answered.

The captain shook his head. “How many different cabals and secret societies do the Romulans have? The Tal Shiar, those Zhat Vash lunatics who burned Mars, and now what amounts to a radicalized sect of temporal terrorists.”

“Respectfully, sir,” Wójcik offered, “their world was annihilated by a supernova that destroyed entire populated star systems and killed billions. Romulus was the spiritual and cultural epicenter of their empire and they’ve been a fractured, scattered people since its destruction. How many times has Starfleet intervened with temporal technologies to re-write the timeline in our favor… just the ones we know of? The Whalesong Incident, First Contact with the Vulcans, the Exeter at Libra-Fonaldi?” She gestured offhandedly to Pokrol. “I’m sure he could tell us of a dozen more that have been classified at the highest levels.”

Pokrol cocked his head and looked at Lightner. “She’s not wrong.”

Lighter waved aside the argument. “Fine, so we’re hypocrites. We still can’t allow these people to create a catastrophic temporal incursion if it can be prevented.”

There were a few minutes more of situational and systems updates, and then Lightner called the meeting to a close, asking for Special Agent Pokrol to remain behind.

The senior officers filed out of the lounge, leaving Lightner staring across the table at the DTI agent. “Why the hell are we still here?” he asked heatedly.

“How do you mean, Captain?” Pokrol answered innocently.

“I’ve put in two requests to leave the area and both have been refused. My requests to have additional ships assigned along with us on this mission have also been denied. Allegiant, which was supposed to circle back to join us has been called away. The rational course of action here would be to get these crystals you and your people are so obsessed with to the nearest starbase or a hardened DTI facility, but we’re not doing any of that. We’re sitting out here like a prize game bird, waiting for this Revisionist faction to attack and try to seize the crystals.”

It wasn’t a question.

“That’s an interesting theory, Captain,” Pokrol said cagily.

“DTI is clearly pulling the strings here, and I want to know why there isn’t a larger Starfleet presence for such an important mission.”

Pokrol leaned forward in his chair, tapping the tabletop. “Starfleet is notoriously obstinate in its dealings with us. Despite our obvious expertise, our agents often find themselves having to justify every decision with their Starfleet counterparts. It’s exhausting.” He fixed a predatory look on Lightner. “So, this time we’ve found ourselves with a starship captain who’s effectively under our thumb during a critical assignment…”

“What the hell is that supposed to mean?” Lightner retorted icily.

“Your career is hanging by a thread, Captain. We both know it. Starfleet Command handed a capital ship over to a commander who appears to be unraveling before their eyes. Seeing as DTI could end your career with a single negative report, your willing cooperation with our investigation and potential covert action against this Revisionist sect becomes critical for you.” Pokrol cocked his head, still inspecting Lightner like an insect under glass. “Unless you want to spend the rest of your career commanding a trade outpost or an automated dilithium mining station?”

Lighter’s short-lived bravado crumbled. “No,” he muttered, dropping his gaze. “I don’t favor either of those options.”

“Do we have your complete cooperation, Captain?” Pokrol pressed.

Lightner’s hesitation was necessarily brief. “Yes, absolutely.”

“Excellent.”

4. Robert Bruce Scott

ooooOOOOoooo - Career extortion... Yeah, that's going to work out just peachy. Lightner has become DTI's lightning rod and quite possibly sacrificial lamb. I'm sure there's another Lightner hiding inside this dude. He better find that guy pretty quick.

I'm a serious fan of the brevity of this post. Short, spicy, and packs a punch. You managed to put a ton of character and plot development into a small word count and still make it feel like story time instead of Cliff's Notes. Kudos!

Thanks!! rbs

5. admiralelm11

admiralelm11 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It looks like someone tightened Lightner’s leash. It’s sad that it’s made from duranium chains. Admiral Tattok would have tried to help such a damaged officer.

Robert Bruce Scott and Gibraltar like this.
  6. Will The Serious

Will The Serious Captain Captain

Lightner may be over a barrel, but he's obviously perceptive. My guess is Starfleet is the one that needs to pay attention, because they are about to get a lesson in how not to under estimate the power of a pawn.

-Will

7. CeJay

CeJay Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uh, I like Wójcik. Pokrol? Not so much. What a douche. But Lightner is an easy target. Poor dude. Good ol' Sandhurst wouldn't have taken such gruff from anybody. At least not later in his career.

8. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Catching up here. Very well done. Great use of technobabble. I really like the world building you've brought to the ST: Picard era, something that the series itself has done far too little of. And I like the tie to ST: Discovery/Strange New Worlds as well. Doing a really good job of bringing together new Trek. Even the Admiral Janeway mention ties in Prodigy.

I'm liking the flawed, screwed up captain and also the kind of murkier Federation characters which is also more in line with the Picard era. Not exactly sure of the year this story takes place in (didn't try to figure out how the stardate relates), but if this story takes place before the first season of ST: Picard the Zhat Vash should not be well known.

9. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

Well, that took an unexpectedly dark turn. Pokrol comes off a bit more like a Section 31 operative than DTI (can someone be both? Hmmmm ....) I'm a little surprised, given Lightner's current state of mind, that he didn't call Pokrol's bluff. Then again, maybe his current state of mind is exactly why he didn't. Curiouser and curiouser.

Gibraltar likes this.
  10. Gibraltar

This takes place in 2402, after Season 3 of Picard, so post-revelation regarding the Zhat Vash and how they tied in to the Synths attack on Mars.

11. Gibraltar

2416 – Tashkent, Uzbekistan, Earth

It was a beautiful early summer’s day, and Lightner had left the windows open to enjoy the fresh breeze carrying the scent of honeysuckle. Outside, his home’s three cherry trees were fruiting nicely, and he anticipated a good harvest in a few weeks’ time.

The home was a fashionable townhouse built in the mid-22nd century, part of the development of the once decidedly rural Aktepa-Chigatay area on the outskirts of the city proper.

He was preparing dinner in the kitchen, half-listening to an audio-only media report on the latest Klingon-Cardassian war, currently being fought across a half-dozen sectors as the Federation and other interstellar governments lobbied in vain to get the two sides to the negotiating table.

Lightner still had friends in Starfleet, and he worried that the Federation would be dragged kicking and screaming into the conflict to assist one side or the other.

His personal comm trilled as he was making sauce.

“I’m making dinner,” he announced, preempting the question he knew was coming.

“Oh, good,” she replied. “It’s been a hell of a day. FOSAB staged a surprise inspection at the lab, so everybody’s frazzled. I hope you don’t mind but Ajva and I are going out for drinks. I’ll be home by six-thirty, if you can wait that long to eat?”

“Not a problem,” he said gamely. “I’m just doing prep work now. I’ll hold off on putting it together so that it’ll be hot off the stove as you walk in the door.”

“You’re a good man,” she said with an appreciative laugh.

“Don’t tell anyone, you’ll ruin my hard-earned reputation as a bastard,” he retorted.

She laughed again. “Your secret’s safe with me. I’ll see you in a bit.”

He returned to his prep work, adding spices pinch by pinch, tasting, stirring.

The news story droned on, ‘Corroborated reports from the Klingon High Command and Cardassian Central Command indicate that attack squadrons from the Klingon 41st Shock Detachment met heavy resistance during their advance into the Ozcaris Cluster…’

The front door chimed, and Lightner called up a holo-screen in midair to surveil the visitor. He saw someone who appeared either Vulcan or Romulan, perhaps a bit past middle age for either species, with dark skin and tightly curled hair just beginning to show signs of greying. The man wore a nondescript suit in muted greys and browns, which might have gone unnoticed on a dozen worlds.

“Hello?” he said, opening a channel to the doorbell’s intercom.

“Captain Lightner?” the man asked in a slightly accented but melodious voice.

“Speaking, though nobody’s called me that in over a decade. What can I do for you?”

“I was hoping we could talk. I’d like to discuss the events at Chedrova and the Klingon time crystals.”

Lightner froze. Those events were not only fourteen years in the past but had been highly classified on the orders of Starfleet Command and the Department of Temporal Investigations. As it happened, that crisis had also precipitated the end of his career.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about,” Lightner said automatically.

“I believe that you do, Mr. Lightner. I have some information which you might find beneficial, and which might, to use a Human idiom, give you some much-needed closure.”

Lightner hesitated for a moment before his curiosity got the better of him. He was embittered against Starfleet anyway, so what did he care about their overdeveloped sense of secrecy? At worst this man might be a Starfleet intelligence asset testing Lightner’s discretion. He should at least give this individual five minutes of his time before reporting him to the authorities.

He wiped his hands off with a kitchen towel and went to the door.

Lightner opened the front door with a dramatic flourish and swept his arm back towards the interior of the home. “By all means, come on in.”

The man introduced himself as Salmis, a Romulan scientist, claiming to have been involved with the Revisionist faction during the unpleasantness in and around the Chedrova system.

Lightner had invited Salmis into the kitchen where the man sat awkwardly atop a barstool at the kitchen counter while Lightner stood across from him, preparing chicken tetrazzini.

Lightner spared his guest a quick glance. “Let’s say, hypothetically, that I knew something about these ‘time crystals’ you’re referring to. What possible motivation would I have to discuss a matter that would have undoubtedly been labeled ultra-classified by my government?”

Salmis sipped at the cup of chai tea he had accepted from Lightner. “Because in more than one sense, you’re still there, Mr. Lightner.”

Lightner paused his stirring of the white bechamel sauce to give his visitor a speculative look that begged elaboration.

The Romulan smiled thinly, setting his cup down on the counter. “The events that we are exploring so hypothetically at this moment derailed your career and ultimately resulted in your separating from Starfleet.” He gestured to the surrounding house. “While all this is perfectly lovely, I suspect that given the choice, you would have remained in the service.”

“Would’a, could’a, should’a,” Lighter said dryly, unwittingly quoting a former captain.

“It’s funny you should say that,” Salmis offered, having now become the stirrer as he absently worked a splash of cream into his tea while holding Lighter’s gaze. “I’m here to have a discussion with you from fourteen years ago.”

Lightner frowned. “Okay, now you have lost me.”

“Let’s say for the sake of argument that I could somehow occupy two places in time simultaneously. Let’s also imagine that I needed to speak with you rather desperately during that crisis fourteen years ago but was unable to do so at the time without interference from Starfleet Command or your impertinent time police.”

Lightner resumed stirring, his expression quizzical, but tolerantly so.

“So, here I am, a decade-and-a-half later, finally able to sit down with you to discuss matters of critical import that might have made a significant difference back then.”

Lightner almost laughed. “And what do I get out of this? A warm feeling of self-satisfaction that perhaps I was right all along? Are your revelations going to result in a formal letter of apology from Starfleet for tossing me out on my butt?”

“In the here and now, no, they won’t provide you any such satisfaction. However, fourteen years ago they might make all the difference.”

Finished with the sauce, Lightner now moved to begin slicing the raw, replicated pasta noodles. “You’re confusing your tenses, Professor.”

“I am not,” Salmis countered. “After we’re finished with this discussion, you’ll wake up fourteen years ago with memories of this conversation.”

Lightner raised a hand, as if soliciting a teacher. “Now, I may not have been the most promising student in quantum-physics during my admittedly abbreviated academy career, but I’m fairly certain that’s not how time or Human memory works.”

“They’re your memories,” Salmis explained patiently. “It’s only our limited understanding of time that complicates the issue. In some dimensions, you would know everything you’re ever going to know all at once without the confusion of before, now, or after. The Prophets of the Bajoran wormhole operate in this manner, for example.”

Lighter stopped chopping noodles and wiped his hands off before starting to rub his temples. “I feel a Janeway headache coming on,” he muttered.

“Quantum entanglement can work across time as well as space, Mr. Lightner. Your memory engrams are your memory engrams, and if someone can just pierce the temporal veil, you could access them in any order you like.”

“What is it that you’d want to discuss with me all those years ago?” Lightner prompted.

“It took years of planning and an extraordinary expenditure of lives and resources to acquire those time crystals. We sincerely believe that with the crystals and Dr. Kemet’s assistance, we can successfully bring Romulus in its’ entirety back into our universe. We’ve located a star system in Romulan territory with a very similar type of main-sequence star, far more stable of course, which would support the planet.”

Lightner blinked. “So, you’re proposing not only bringing a planet through time, but shifting it spatially by whole light-years? That’s crazy, utter madness!”

“Not at all. Just because it’s never been done before to our knowledge doesn’t make it impossible.”

A frustrated sigh escaped from Lightner and he shook his head. “Okay, let’s entertain this fantasy of yours for a moment. Let’s say you were able to do this thing and bring all of Romulus through time to a safe harbor, so to speak. You have no idea what the sudden shift of a planet into a new star system would cause. The vast differences in gravity, for one, unless you were planning on bringing Remus with it?”

Salmis shook his head. “No, Remus was not part of our plans. The Remans have become thorn enough in our side without bringing another billion of them into the present. As for the aftereffects of the transition, we have projected massive seismic activity across the planet, resulting in hundreds of thousands of deaths, perhaps millions, but billions more will live who had otherwise perished.”

“Hunh,” Lightner mused, absorbing this. “Tough luck for the Remans, eh?”

“Romulus was the cultural, economic, and spiritual center for our species, and its loss has cast us to the winds. Warring factions, civil strife, and economic chaos have reigned in its wake. Remus was not the capital of the empire. The crystals would only enable the rescue of one world, not two.”

“How close to the event would you take the planet? Too far removed from the incident and you’d end up with duplicates of the billion people who did get evacuated before the end.”

“Seconds before the supernova,” Salmis said confidently.

“I don’t believe you,” Lightner snapped suddenly, his patience with this charade evaporating. “All this sounds like a load of pseudo-scientific crap and wishful thinking. Did Intel put you up to this, or DTI? You’ve already torpedoed my career, now you can’t leave well enough alone?”

“I’m not Starfleet Intelligence, nor DTI, although the Revisionists effectively mirrored much of DTI’s work in their own explorations of temporal phenomena.”

Lightner stared daggers at the man across the kitchen island. “What do you want?”

“I want the Klingon time crystals fourteen years ago while Gibraltar is parked in the Chedrova system trying to decide what to do next. My compatriots are about to stage a catastrophically inept raid on your ship that gets a lot of people on both sides killed and gains us nothing.”

Lightner slammed his hands palm-down on the countertop. “I remember! I was there!”

“Good, it’s important that you remember. More importantly it’s vital that you remember remembering… in the past.”

“Get out!” Lightner shouted, his temper flaring. This encounter had reopened many old wounds he had thought entirely scarred over.

Salmis obligingly slid off the stool. “You can raise me on subspace frequency zero-zero-five-point-four-nine. The encryption key is the atomic weight of the time crystals, easily accessed from your science personnel.”

Lightner fairly pushed him towards the door. “Enough! Get out of my home!”

Though undoubtedly far stronger physically than Lightner, Salmis offered no resistance as the Human opened the door and shoved him across the threshold.

The Romulan’s expression was one of knowing confidence, as though he had somehow succeeded in his mission.

“Go to hell!” Lightner snarled for want of a better parting shot at the man.

“Remember," Salmis repeated before taking the steps down to the front walkway.

…remember…

…remember…

He started awake and flailed against the confinement of his sheets for a moment before gaining his bearings.

His bed. His cabin. His starship... for now.

Lightner took deep breaths to center himself. “Computer, situation report,” he ordered.

The computer provided the requested information. It was 0432 hours, five hours after he had gone to sleep. The ship’s situation was unchanged from before his sleep-cycle had begun. Gamma-shift was on duty, and all stations reported normal operations.

As one who had more than his fair share of nightmares due to his PTSD, Lightner well knew the difference between a disturbing dream and an actual flashback. What he had just experienced had the concrete reality of memory, rather than the hazy, undefinable quality afforded dreams or nightmares.

He remembered rather enjoying his forced retirement. He remembered his wife, a woman he'd not yet met. He could not account for these new memories and associations, and that fact courted a sense of vertigo.

Lightner contacted the on-duty science officer, who was all too willing to provide him with the atomic weight of the time crystals.

Lightner created a holographic comms panel in the air before him, manually entering the frequency and encryption key from his dream. He toggled the frequency scan function and experienced a flash of disbelief as the computer informed him there was an active, encrypted subspace channel open at that frequency.

“Hello?” he broadcast, already feeling foolish at entertaining this nonsense, unexpectedly open frequency or no.

“Captain Lightner?” It was Salmis’ voice, unmistakably. “How good to hear from you. Are you ready to continue our conversation?”

Last edited: Feb 9, 2023
    CeJay, tax1234, mthompson1701 and 4 others like this.
  12. Bynar0110

Bynar0110 Captain Captain

Excellent Chapter. I enjoyed it alot.

For a second there I read Lightner, as Lightyear.

13. admiralelm11

admiralelm11 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Wow! That’s… a lot to take it and exciting. I’m hooked. Please continue.

Gibraltar likes this.
  14. Robert Bruce Scott

Sweet time mechanics. Reminiscent of Arrival - one of my favorite Sci-Fi movies. I really like the future somewhat embittered Lightner. Interesting that he seems to regress to present-day Lightner as his conversation with Salmis deteriorated. Really great little sequence all around.

And now he's going to be Buzz Lightner from now on...
    [​IMG]

Thanks!! rbs

Gibraltar and Will The Serious like this.
  15. Will The Serious

One of the most interesting situations I've icome across in Sci-fi. The moral implications, the dilemma for Lightner.

If Salmis is/was/will be telling the truth about plans to move Romulus, he's made his ethics clear. But to disrupt the lives of millions, even billions, to save the lives of billions who have already had their history decided?! Then, Lightner has to not only give up a beautiful future relationship, but he has to deny his future partner that beauty, as well.

Salmis didn't say who occupied the planetary system they planned to move Romulus to or if the new star is free of other planets? It's too bad they have to move the planet instead of "simply" (yeah right) swapping stars. That's what I'd do in my computer or my car, swap out the failing part.

This is great story telling.

-Will

16. Robert Bruce Scott

If you sacrifice millions of lives to save billions of lives, are you a monster or a hero?

Thanks!! rbs

Gibraltar likes this.
  17. Will The Serious

It's not that simple. One is a terrible loss from a natural disaster, the other is a judgement call where a decision leads a the condemnation of a group, the Remans. Remans' value appears to have been decided to be less, than those of the more important Romulans. Salmis is Romulan. Would a Reman have come to the same conclusion?

Time travel storylines deal with this question all the time. What changes would we affect if we act to interfere with the "natural order"? We face the same questions when we import a non-native species to "fix" a problem we have in another area of the world. Then, when we judge that our actions had poor outcomes, we interupt the new natural order to either eradicate the invasive species or try to transplant them back to where we brought them from. The issue is about who makes the decision and for who's conscience it is suppose to appease.

It can become a lot like a Rick and Morty episode, if the surviving Reman's develop time travel too.

Sci-fi social commentary at its best.

-Will

18. Will The Serious

This is the same as my story from The Vulcan, Episode 2 The Needs of the Few. About 3/4 of the way down in post #3 is a parable about Spliny the Father and Spliny the Son and the Lesson by the River.

-Will

Last edited: Feb 10, 2023
    Robert Bruce Scott likes this.
  19. TrekkieMonster

TrekkieMonster Commodore Commodore

That was brilliant. I don't know what else to say. Unique, immediately engaging, quickly utterly captivating, and ultimately satisfying. The reference to the Bajoran Prophets was perfect. Damn, I love how you're crafting this story.

20. Gibraltar

Thank you all for the kind words. I didn't know if this last segment was going to come off the way I'd intended or hoped it would, but it seems to have communicated what I'd meant it to. :)