ST '09 ten year anniversary

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by WarpFactorZ, May 7, 2019.

1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember something about the producers pushing for Kirk to be made captain in this movie (at the age of 25), to have a "Captain Kirk" for marketability. Perhaps a more realistic story arc could have had him get a commendation at the end of the first movie, be first officer in the second movie, and then become captain in the third movie, all over the course of a number of years. Oh well. :shrug:

Kor

Jedman67 and Khan 2.0 like this.
  2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

That would have worked for long time fans. General audience would have been underwhelmed.

BillJ likes this.
  3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

If it is based on TOS Star Trek, you have to have Captain Kirk. No one was going to care about Lieutenant Kirk. But they could've been more creative than Cadet-to-Captain.

Jedman67 likes this.
  4. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

All you need to fix it is the old Trek stable of a montage.

saddestmoon and Smellmet like this.
  5. Malaika

Malaika Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know what happened between him and the studio (I suspect it wasn't nice), but I always feel a bit of trepidation when people who aren't involved into a project anymore talk about it...
    It is not like he said something wrong there, mainly a gut feeling because reading all his comments it still seems to me that he wants to play too much the 'trek fan/I'm one of you' to placate those fanboys over trekmovie. And I hope I'm wrong.
    I think it speaks volumes about my unwillingness to trust them now, though. At one point in the last years, I started to feel like the fans of these movies don't matter anymore for them.

----------

Anyway, I'd totally love an Academy era spin off! You get some of that in the comics and the novels and I loved it. I'd love a short treks series or something like that about the academy. We'd see Kirk and Spock parallel lives, so how Spock and Uhura met each other and started dating, as well as looking at how Kirk and Bones became friends. You'd see Kirk, Uhura, Bones, Sulu etc as cadets and the challenges they faced, but also Spock as a graduate student who is already teaching classes and interacts with other instructors ( so he has access to that other 'part' of academy life and can make us see that). Also the construction of the enterprise..
    There is a lot of potential into an Academy era story, though I wouldn't make it mutually exclusive with having movies aboard the enterprise. What they did in the comics and novels was good enough, it would be nice to have a live action version of that.

Last edited: May 14, 2019