SPY PHOTOS at AICN

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by AudioBridge, Mar 27, 2008.

1. Gepard

Gepard Vice Admiral Admiral

I dunno. It says "1960's sci-fi TV show dressed up for the 21st century" to me, especially the outside of the shuttle.

I have only one thing to add, and that is....me like. Very, very much. :drool:

Well, two things:

My god. A typo on a background piece of set dressing? This has never, ever happened before in the history of filmmaking. Clearly, this movie is doomed.

Truly, on this day my eyes have been opened. Thank you, TGT. Thank you.

:p

2. shipfisher

shipfisher Commander Red Shirt

Anyone here seen much on screen background text in trek before - ie. the in joke, hat tipping fest that it often is? Could this background "typo" (like there's gonna be a full screen shot of this plaque in the film) be a call out to the geeks in the audience, only to whom this will in any way matter?

P.S. I count myself amongst the geeks in the audience, if not on this issue. My "geekishness" manifests in ship/vehicle design comments and in as much I'll call that spy photo shuttle a TOS precursor to that TNG "flying SUV garage" Argo type in look and feel. Those Gabe K. style nacelle (nacellette?) hoods appear to be a common design element with the Big E in the trailer - the high mounted mini-nacs don't lend a warp-capable look to this bus - so it may be that TOS sublight propulsion systems also use nacelles in this flick.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2008
  3. Baldus885

Baldus885 Captain Captain

I'm not worried, that Mattwhatever guy is, judging by his baseless rantings. I welcome this used, realistic look too, instead of the gleaming, dirt-free post-TOS Trek. And "waning popularity" are your words, not mine - BSG stumbled in season three, regardless of spinoff green-lightage.

4. Baldus885

Baldus885 Captain Captain

Thank you.

5. MattJC

MattJC Fleet Captain

Baseless?
    That crap in those pictures look like it came from BSG not Star Trek.
    Nobody here can tell me any different.

6. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Looks like Star Trek to me.

I...think I just told you different.

7. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Does BSG have "UFP/Starfleet" Mats on the wall?

8. Tom Servo

Tom Servo Commodore Commodore

:guffaw::guffaw: I swear to god, if it has dirt on it, it can't be star trek. It has to be BSG. This isnt even the Enterprise of some ship of the line, its a shuttle on some dusty planet, and you're gonna tell me that their wont be dirt.

9. Vance

Vance Vice Admiral In Memoriam

So, Sharr, if you actually don't even like Star Trek, why are you here?

Doesn't it strike anyone else as daft that the 'best way to save Trek' is for it to turn into another show and completely ape something else?

Edit: You know something, this might be an okay movie. It might. But these ass-hole fanbois who, from all appearances, utterly hate Star Trek and want NuBSG Trek, are not only making me not want to see the film, but hope it utterly fails.

10. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

No one ever can.

11. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

I think it's daft to assume, based on a few spy shots, that these people are aping something else to save Star Trek, and that they're turning this movie into NuBSG Trek. Oh and calling people who disagree with you "ass-holes fanbois" is really classy.

12. Vance

Considering every single leaked shot out so far looks like it came right off of the NuBSG lot, I think it's a little more than a 'few' shots. Remember, part of the original Trek's deliberate design was to have a military-clean look for all the Star Fleet interiors.

This stuff looks like someone grabbed all the Space 1999 sets and forgot to dust them off just like NuBSG.

Thing is is that every single person who's commented as to not liking the style that Abrams is going with has been ridiculed and personally attacked by a large group of people here, who seems, don't actually like Star Trek but want more NuBSG.

And it's perfectly okay for that group to insult and harass anyone who disagrees with them, right? After all, they're the 'kewl' fans with their 'kewl' show, and all those Trek fans should be ignored - or, better yet, just finally die of old age now that so many of them are past puberty.

So why should I be exacted about a Star Trek movie where the primary prerequisites for liking it seem to be (a) not liking Star Trek at all, and (b) being an absolute dick about (a)?

13. Woulfe

Woulfe Commodore Commodore

~ My views on these ~

[​IMG]

LOOK ! Buttons, switches, knobs, retro future was here, no LCARS style interfaces here, you can feel the feedback from these controls.

Note the old style Font on the screens, someone dug up the old Tech Manual didn't they ?

[​IMG]

Low clearance.... Must of been built not for comfort but for actual use, imagine that, actual use, have to duck to enter it, like one does to a car.

[​IMG]

Can you say.... Dilithum Mining Complex.... I knew you could....

[​IMG]

Looks like a drop ship inside, so it's not your typical shuttle craft.

[​IMG]

Again.... Say it with me..... Dilithium Mining Complex.... Feel better now ?

[​IMG]

FOCUS damn it FOCUS....

I can make out a delta in here just bearly....

Again, looks like a troop carrier, it's why it's so dirty....

[​IMG]

The Star Trek ride in Vegas is giving these things away now ?

Looks like one of those field jackets from "The Cage" plus a little delta pin.

[​IMG]

If you can read this you don't need glasses.

Again the old font shows itself off, and yes you can actualy READ what this says to a certain degree.

Well except the fine print to the left, which possibly says things like "No matter where you go there you are" and stuff like that there ;)

[​IMG]

Could it be they made the shuttle look even more boxy then it used to be ?

Looks that way to me.

14. Tralah

Tralah Wasting Time Until May 2009 Fleet Captain

I'm sorry, but we haven't gotten that many shots. The way you talk, you act like we've seen hundreds of shots of dozens of scenes that's being used in the movie. :rolleyes: Let's see we got a few shots of Quinto in Spock make up, some blurry images of Pine in a Starfleet uniform, some distant pictures of Cho with a sword, and a few shots of Starfleet Academy and a few new ones of a shuttle. Oh and two blurry pictures with Abrams next to a consul on the bridge. Yep, that's more than enough evidence to scream NuBSG clone.

I have never seen one full episode of NuBSG. I don't care for the show, and have never been able to get into it. I'll have to take your word that the sets look exactly ripped off from the set, but others don't seem to think so. All I can say I see plenty of Star Trek influence in what few designs we've gotten to look at.

I don't recall reading anything that sounds like people are being personally attacked and ridiculed for not liking the style Abrams is going with. I think you may be a little thin-skinned, but if I overlooked these vicious attacks, then I would agree it is EQUALLY stupid to attack someone one way or the other about this, especially when there's so much we simply DO NOT KNOW. Also, it's perfectly possible that people can like Star Trek and also like NuBSG and think the Star Trek could learn a few things from the show? I don't know enough about the NuBSG to say one way or the other though.

No it's not perfectly okay for that group to insult and harass anyone who disagrees with them. You can disagree with people without resorting to pathetic immature, name-calling, but that seems to be a lost art on the Internet for many people.

a) You'll be hard pressed to find someone here who doesn't like Star Trek. They may disagree with you with how new Star Trek should be made, but I think it's safe to say we wouldn't be posting here on a Star Trek messageboard if we didn't have some fondess for some aspect of the franchise. Also, Star Trek fans can still love the shows but be critical of its faults, no?

b) Are you asking why you shouldn't be a dick about it? Well, maybe because you're jumping to conclusions based on false premises and flimsy evidence? You don't like the way you THINK these producers are taking your favorite franchise, and everyone who disagrees with you deserves to be berated and insulted? I'm sorry, but this seems like an immature reaction to me.

I hope this movie proves that your fears of this being a NuBSG, rip off were wrong. I have no particular desire to see Star Trek remade in the dark and broody fashion that most people associate with NuBSG, but I'm not going to throw a hissy fit and call names to those fans who think it's a great idea, and I'm going to keep an open mind until I see more than just a few blurry out of context spy shots. Oh, and even when I do see more, if I'm disappointed in what I see, I can express my disappointment without screaming that those who like what they see are "ass-hole fanbois".

15. Tom Servo

The reason is, its rediculous to be so worked up over this, because of a few freaking spy photos. I'm not saying you have to be excited, its your choice, but to condemn a thing because of something like this is insane. Its not even the Enterprise, or anything we have seen in the original series. Its a freaking mining complex, with what looks like miners. And you know what, it looks it. This film is being catered to the general populace, not just to us trekkies, because if they don't do that, the film fails. Evidently in the script there is a place for a mining complex, so they made one. And to add to the effect that it is a mine, they made it a bit dirty, grungy, lived in, like a mine is. The fact that because it has some dirt makes it nuBSG is nuts.

This set has nothing to do with the Enterprise, for all we know she is pretty and clean and perfect. But no, since a MINING/INDUSTRIAL set is slightly dirty, fuck, the movie is ruined. And the fact that you have to play the sarcastic "kewl" card with us for liking it is just dumb. Don't talk down to us. So we like the look for this particular set, so what? Its something to look at. We haven't seen anything else to make the conclusions that your jumping to, and that the entire universe will have NuBSG feel. Just cause it doesn't fit into what your narrow view of what trek should be doesn't make it bad.

16. Vance

Q.E.D.

17. Tom Servo

Just cause we disagree with you. :rolleyes:

18. Vance

I take it that you don't often read your own posts?

Also, do you even know what 'Q.E.D.' means?

19. Samuel T. Cogley

Samuel T. Cogley Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Star Trek just fine, a little cold on "modern Trek" but I enjoy bits of it. Sure, yes after awhile as a whole Star Trek became boring to me for a number of reasons 1, I had a much less need for it in my life and 2, when I watched it the stories were always so much predicable and the same.

Do I think Trek has become its own worst enemy? Sure, its become to much about being Star Trek.tm rather then first and foremost caring to tell good stories or working outside its zone. And I'm not a big fan of the GR cult or even B&B bashing since one of their largest faults was adhering too close to GR's "vision" over simply being good story telling.

Were I in charge there might even be aspects I'd consider dropping in favor of a more down to earth approach, such as making tech feel functional over pretty and focusing on the people drop alot of the condensation which to me is how I think of say Picard...

But I like Star Trek - it doesn't mean I am not critical of it.

Sharr