Spock YELLING

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Shinzon4u, May 10, 2017.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Ir's not just subs. If the captain gives an order for X to happen and doesn't give it directly to the persons who need to implement it, it gets repeated, loudly by the XO or whoever the OOD (Officer Of the Deck) is. The same things happens on films sets. The director says "cut" and the A.D. yells "CUT!" to make sure everyone heard it.

Ryan Thomas Riddle and Greg Cox like this.
  2. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not sure how well that works as an explanation, though. Surely he would have used the techniques he had been taught and had seen his superiors using when he was a junior officer in training. I suppose there could be "shouting" and "non-shouting" schools of thought, but more likely there would be Starfleet-wide standards and best practices. Spock's shouting stands out because we never see it again from anybody.

There is one person giving orders on the bridge, normally the OOD. One person responsible for executing the order acknowledges it by repeating it back and adding "aye." Extra repetition is discouraged. If the captain wants to take over the conn from the OOD, he announces "I have the conn," the OOD acknowledges and then shuts up completely. The captain, XO and navigator can take the conn from the OOD at any time. That's why "captain on the bridge" is announced, it's a reminder to everyone to pay attention because the orders could start coming from a different person.

Repetition of orders by extra people would be more for relaying them in on-deck evolutions where people are spread out and wind, noise etc. get in the way (which is mostly done with hand radios nowadays).

My turn? "SEN-SOR BEAM ON!"

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  3. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

:adore:

4. Laura Cynthia Chambers

Laura Cynthia Chambers Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, now I'm thinking of that episode of I Love Lucy, "Ricky's Screen Test", where the director's assistant gets a hurt look on his face when the frustrated director, usually so mild-mannered, yells "ROLL'EM!" himself.

5. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love shouty Spock. I also love that it seems very much an affectation. It's process and procedure. It's "how things are done". As others have pointed out, it feels like a ship.

(It is funny that three minutes later he chastises Bailey for raising his voice.)

Kind of like in Wrath of Khan when he says "Take 'er out, Mister Saavik" very conspicuously dropping the 'h' in 'her'. Because that's how you say it.

6. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Coupled with the up/down shaking... the whole thing... quite laughable when you put them both together. ;)

Spock's Barber likes this.
  7. Vger23

Vger23 Vice Admiral Admiral

Pike raised his voice on the bridge when giving commands occasionally.

And, we certainly see it from others. Riker did it constantly.

8. J.T.B.

J.T.B. Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah, I don't think it's particularly realistic but I like the effort at creating atmosphere. What I really loved on the bridge was the intercom chatter. As they got away from that something was lost.

OK, but not really in the same abrupt bullhorn style Spock used. That's why people notice it so much.

Spock's Barber likes this.
  9. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

I didn't realize there were so many shouted Spock lines. I don't suppose it counts, from Man Trap, when he goes, "SHOOT, QUICK!!!!"

10. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because I'm that guy.... there's no "negative." He just says "stand by to photograph" in response to Bailey's "one degree to overlap."

I like shouty Spock, but nothing makes me laugh like uber laid back Spock in "Mudd's Women." "And his engines arrrrrrrrrre super-heating......"

J.T.B. likes this.
  11. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also the only episode with leary Spock. Where is eyebrows actually say "Dayum!"

Gary Mitchell and Gary7 like this.
  12. Poltargyst

Poltargyst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Because they were making things up as they went along and hadn't settled on Spock's more reserved demeanor yet.

ewoodcourt, TLOZ Lover and mos6507 like this.
  13. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Suddenly I was reminded of a TBBS meme. Anyone here remember Carl Spock?
    [​IMG]
    :D

PCz911, Trekfan12, Nerys Myk and 2 others like this.
  14. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

Just how many times did the gravity go "down to point-eight"?

Gary7 and J.T.B. like this.
  15. GNDN18

GNDN18 270 Rear Admiral

EMERGENCY! FULL REVERSE POWER!

Aside from a bit of street theatre in "The Apple", I believe Shouty Spock takes his last bow in "Thr Squire of Gothos".

16. Tenacity

Tenacity Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Sisko did a fair amount of shouting, often combined with his staccato way of speaking.

17. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Ugh, don't get me started on that one. I know Shatner had mannerisms but they at least had emotion between the pregnant pauses. Avery Brooks' delivery is completely unnatural and robotic. SIRI sounds more natural. It was like Brooks felt he was acting in Small Wonder rather than Star Trek.

[​IMG]

ZapBrannigan likes this.
  18. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or as Archer say in "Broken Bow", "when logic doesn't work, you raise your voice"

19. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

THERE IS A MULTILEGGED CREATURE CRAWLING ON YOUR SHOULDER!

20. UnknownSample

UnknownSample Commodore Commodore

Nope, that was said quietly and calmly.

Spock's Barber, Trekfan12 and Gary7 like this.