Spock & McCoy...the Movies.

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Gojira, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Okay, I'll concede that, given my RL experiences with trying to give people directions to my home. I don't drive, so when they ask me "how many traffic lights between ___ and ___?" I'm completely baffled. How should I know? I either take buses or cabs, and I don't need to know how many traffic lights there are.

So I tell them to find a particular well-known neighborhood landmark and tell them which direction to go: "Find ______ (a corner hamburger fast-food joint) and head north, up the hill."

The next words out of their mouth are: "Which way is north?"

My reaction: :wtf:

It can be difficult to figure out which way is north in a city with skyscrapers all over the place so you can't see the sun. But this part of town has no skyscrapers. There's no excuse at all for not being able to figure out which way is north!

Who said anything about "tons"? All I wanted was one or two scenes of them doing or saying something that was in character, and important to the overall story. The crap we were shown was neither in character, nor did it enhance the movie in any way.

2. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not buying it. Both had landing party experience.

Not buying it. When was the last time you knocked yourself out cold by hitting your head while walking in an unfamiliar environment? For me and almost everyone, it's:

(wait for it)

never.

That makes one of us.

3. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You're just being contrary.

4. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

A friendship based on racial insults, personally I would pass on that. But then me being the brunt of racial insults as a child was never my idea of funny.
    However the actors make it work.

5. Nyotarules

Nyotarules Vice Admiral Moderator

20th/21st century version
    "That black son-of-a bitch. It's his revenge for losing all those arguments"

Still funny?

6. Timewalker

No, I'm just being honest. If you don't agree, then fine. There's no need to get insulting about it.

7. FormerLurker

FormerLurker Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was responding to CorporalCaptain, not you. And I was being subtle, or I would have winked, because his response to me was borderline insulting. And the border was bulging.

8. Timewalker

To clarify, I had not seen CorporalCaptain's post when I made mine. Having reviewed it just now, I am in agreement with him.

CorporalCaptain likes this.
  9. Phoenix219

Phoenix219 Commodore Commodore

I am in full agreement with FormerLurker. As a Former Lurker myself...... ;)

10. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

I've always felt the extended argument about the Genesis project was one of the best (and the last) Spock/McCoy arguments. They actually staked out different sides of an issue and had at it. It's a shame it was cut down in the theatrical version.

Phoenix219 likes this.
  11. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I liked the brief McCoy/Spock "conflict" humor in TFF brig scene when McCoy offers Kirk to hold Spock so he can hit him. :lol:

12. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People only come back to the same person to argue/bicker/debate if there is a mutual respect & admiration. I never doubted for a second those two had an abundance of both for each other

13. RColtrane

RColtrane Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

There's one thing I do not understand in this jailbreak scene: If the wall is made of pure metal (as it seems since some corners are bent after the explosion and the wall is quite thin) where do all that dust come from?? Yes, it is dust, not smoke, as you can see some of the dust over their shoulders! And during the explosion, you can see some large debris flying which do not look like metal at all! It looks like a wall of bricks exploding rather than a wall made of metal...:whistle:
    Man, the effects crew hired for this movie is umbelievable.:barf:

Last edited: Sep 22, 2017