Spider-Man: Far From Home anticipation thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Jul 12, 2018.

1. Saul

Saul Vice Admiral Admiral

Please tell us more :)

2. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Well, since you asked . . . .

BATMAN: THE COURT OF OWLS, an original novel bringing back the Court of Owls, is due out February 12th, so I am haunting my mailbox waiting for an advance copy to show up.

And since we're talking growing older and stuff, I did the math and figured out that I have now been writing Batman, on and off, for more than twenty-seven years, ever since selling my first Batman story to DC way back in 1992.

Good thing I never got too old for comics. :)

Last edited: Jan 17, 2019
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I definitely plan on checking that one out eventually. I already got the Mad Love novel that's a part of the same set.

Greg Cox likes this.
  4. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

In another thread there is a discussion about what makes a great Batman villain. I didn't post, but I was thinking that the CoOs is one of the best additions to the Rogues Gallery in recent years. Congrats on the book coming out!

As for my comics journey, I gave them up going into high school just after CoIE. I returned to them for a view years only to quit again with the Zero Hour. Then in the early 2000's I started having these nostalgic dreams about wandering around in comic book shops. I started reading them again in 2006 and haven't stopped. I am 49 next week.

Greg Cox likes this.
  5. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

This is the reasoning of a youngster.

EliyahuQeoni, Ovation, Booji and 5 others like this.
  6. Spot261

Spot261 Vice Admiral Admiral

Dude trust me, eventually the opposite effect kicks in, you start appreciating the value of the seemingly trivial.

7. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

In the immortal words of Bob Dylan: "I was so much older then; I'm younger than that now."

And, yes, as you get older, you stop taking yourself quite so seriously. Or you should. :)

Ovation, Saul, Nerys Myk and 3 others like this.
  8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

The suspicious nature of a hydro, molten and sand man leads me to think that mysterio is putting on a show.

He’s pretending to be the hero while doing something else. Maybe he’s just there to distract the actual crimes ( men with guns)

Anwar likes this.
  9. Saul

Disappointingly I agree and it seems like a somewhat predictable plot. If he was an actual good guy that goes bad I might find that more interesting. I'd like to see more than one villain too.

10. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

:techman:

11. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

An actual good guy that goes bad sounds far more predictable and generic to me in the context of the superhero movie genre.

12. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Wasn't this Mysterio's first story from the original comics? That he was pretending to be a good guy with fake bad guys?

13. dahj

dahj Vice Admiral Admiral

14. Saul

A genuinely good guy? My mind is coming up blank. Any examples? Winter Solider?

Pretending to be good and creating fake villains is a familiar plot from Saturday morning cartoons.(i recognize the irony in saying that)

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  15. Grendelsbayne

Grendelsbayne Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bucky, Harvey Dent, Harry Osbourne, Otto Octavius, Mr. Freeze, Kurt Connors, Batman (temporarily), Mordo, just off the top of my head. Good guys being pushed over the edge by tragedy or corrupted by magic/technology is hardly uncommon in movies. And if we're counting cartoons, there are probably dozens more examples there, if not hundreds.

16. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Not to mention that Parker's friends seem to admire Mysterio.

"He's like Iron Man and Thor rolled into one"

Who would admire a villain causing havok? Mysterio is fighting a hydro-man(likely an illusion) and trying to hog the spotlight.

Spider-man intervenes and this irritates Mysterio because someone else is taking all his attention

17. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

No one cared this was Syndrome's big plot.

18. Saul

Thank you. Reminding me of those characters convinces me even more that the fall from grace is the far more compelling story.

Which sounds like a weak villain motivation for a film like Spider-man.

In an animated movie made for all ages. I expect Spiderman movie villains aimed at a more mature audience to have more depth with a strong character arc.

19. Timelord Victorious

Timelord Victorious Vice Admiral Admiral

The difference to most of those characters would be that they were just relatively normal people.

An actual superhero turning bad I haven‘t seen so often.

20. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I don't know about anyone else but I certainly don't show up to a Spider-man movie (or any MCU movie if I'm honest) for the mind-blowingly unpredictable plot. I like the characters, I like the light comedy, I like the action sequences and I like how it's all stitched together into a cohesive narrative.

I mean what was so shocking about the plot of 'Homecoming' exactly? Sure "Liz's dad is The Vulture" was an interesting third act twist, but the whole movie didn't hinge on it. It was by and large (and by design!) a fairly standard coming of age story. We knew going in that Peter would struggle balancing his civilian life with his life as Spider-man, that at some point he'd screw something up and have pull himself up and make good. Doesn't make it a *bad* story.

Last edited: Jan 20, 2019
    Anwar, The Nth Doctor and Booji like this.