Sony Spider-Verse discussion thread

If only Sony would cancel more of their movies. I'd pay a full ticket price for some of them not to come out.

I really don't understand how they are even deciding which Spidey characters to make movies out of, a lot of the choices are just outright bizarre. It seems strange to me that they would jump right over obvious choices like Spider-Woman in order to go for ones like El Muerto.

It seems strange to me that they would jump right over obvious choices like Spider-Woman in order to go for ones like El Muerto.

In that case it was not about making an El Muero movie it was about making a movie with one of the biggest music stars in the planet, who happens to have a love of Mexican wrestling.

In that case it was not about making an El Muero movie it was about making a movie with one of the biggest music stars in the planet, who happens to have a love of Mexican wrestling.

Right. The decisions aren't based on the comics alone, since most of the moviegoing audience doesn't read comics. So how popular or obscure a character is in the comics is irrelevant. All that matters is whether they think a given concept can produce a movie that a general audience will respond to. In addition to the draw of the music star you mention (though I've never heard of him), luchador movies have been a huge part of Latin American entertainment for generations, with luchadores being essentially the superheroes of that culture, so a movie with a luchador hero has obvious appeal to that market.

Granted, though, some of Sony's choices have been strange, like reinventing Kraven as a superpowered hero. I've been saying for years that instead of trying to force all these secondary characters and villains into a generic superhero-movie mold, Sony should've embraced their diversity and just made them as movies in distinct genres instead of worrying about the comics/superhero angle, e.g. making Venom and Morbius straight horror movies, doing Black Cat as a sexy heist thriller, etc.

Yeah I mean, I don't have any interest in El Muerto but give that Bad Bunny seemingly had genuine interest and given his fanbase, it does seem like one that would be worth prioritizing. Even if it's bad you'll probably make a decent chunk of change on that connection alone?

Well, uh, that was certainly a trailer for a movie.

I can't believe (well it's Sony so I can believe it) they're doing the Spider Totems garbage, Ezekiel Sims and all.

Last edited:
Hmm, not what I expected Madame Web to be. Looks like it's basically an origin story for a team of Spider-heroines, with a considerably younger, costumed version of J. Michael Straczynski's Ezekiel Sims character as the villain.

Looking into it, I see that the three women the main character is protecting are all characters who've been Spider-Woman in the comics -- Julia Carpenter, Anya Corazon, and Mattie Franklin. Interesting approach. Come to think of it, didn't Julia become Madame Web in the later comics? Anyway, Ezekiel's presence implies they're going for something like the "spider-totem" idea of how all spider-powered superbeings are linked by a "web" of destiny or some such thing.

It feels like Buffy protecting potential slayers.

Disappointed as I was expecting actual Spiderwoman.

Yeah, I'm wondering whether the visions of these women in superhero costumes are something we'll actually get by the end of the movie, or just visions of the futures these women will have sometime after the movie. This might be the early-Smallville sort of thing where they take the superhero elements out of a superhero story and present it as a different genre. The trailer gives more of a horror-thriller vibe than a superhero vibe.

Though I've been saying all along that Sony would've been smart to let these characters stand on their own in distinct genres, rather than trying to create a unified superhero universe that's missing its core defining superhero (Spidey). But that ship has long since sailed.

Back