Someone should remake GR's: Andromeda

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Jan 19, 2014.

1. Gotham Central

Gotham Central Vice Admiral Admiral

So I've actually gone back to watch the first season of Andromeda on Youtube. I remember watching the show in its original run on TV and thinking that it was pretty terrible.

Now don't get me wrong, after watching it again, it is still not spectacular. What I appreciate though is the amount of detail and creativity that went into the show's world building. On some level its clear that the show presents a sort of Post Star Trek universe, but the details are often fun and fairly imaginative. Its a shame that an otherwise creative series was slathered with an over abundance of cheese (which only got worse due to the influence of Kevin Sorbo).

If the show had retained its original creative team and had a real budget, I suspect that Andromeda could have become a real classic (of course the same could be said for it companion series Earth: Final Conflict).

Even from a production stand point the show LOOKS fairly good. In fact the thing that makes it seem even cheaper than it was was the terrible music and sound effects (the guns literally went pew pew!).

In some ways its a shame that a show with a bigger and more imaginative premise than say Stargate, was at such a serious disadvantage financially and then sabotaged by a star that didn't understand the concept.

Andromeda seems ripe for a reimaging or being retold in another formate (either novels or comics).

2. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I downloaded the series bible and remember being enthralled by the concept, as well as impressed at the intricate detail that had gone into it. I hotly anticipated a top notch space opera. What we got on screen was a bitter disappointment. I checked out after only a handful of episodes.

One can only imagine what a potential classic the series may have been if a different, less meddling lead had been hired and Robert Hewitt Wolfe had stayed on to execute his vision unimpeded.

So yes, given the potential the series had before they went and fucked everything up royally, a remake/reboot would be favorable.