Some news on the new Titan novel, spoilery ofcourse.....

I'm a bit confused. If the Titan is Riker's personal flagship, then is he the captain/commanding officer or is Vale? If in the latter, then does that mean that Tuvok has gone from second officer to first officer?

I'm a bit confused. If the Titan is Riker's personal flagship, then is he the captain/commanding officer or is Vale? If in the latter, then does that mean that Tuvok has gone from second officer to first officer?

I assume the ship is Vale's, but the mission is Riker's? Is that how it works? As an admiral, he can place his flag on any ship (he's on Aventine in the upcoming TNG novel, I believe, presumably temporarily. Because of a, er, need for speed?)

Riker wouldn't actually be in command of the Titan. Presumably Vale is the captain now, unless someone else is being brought over to take command.

Someone will die? I hope it's Vale — she's such a bland, colourless, and boring character I'd be glad if she's replaced by someone else.

Also: Wondering if Riker's got plans for both Aventine and Titan...?

I'll vote for this. Featuring both ships would be great. I could put up with them going back to exploring, but I'd prefer it was something more interesting.

As to which chracter to kill, Vale would be a good choice.

Tuvok, Ree, Keru or K'chak'!op would also be fine...

Someone will die? I hope it's Vale — she's such a bland, colourless, and boring character I'd be glad if she's replaced by someone else.

That's interesting; I quite like Vale. It's not always used as well as it should be, but she has a nice hard-line, more defensive take on things that serves a somewhat valuable purpose among a crew defined by optimism and free exploration, without being at odds with them. Her former career as a peace officer lends her a more cautious, less hospitable perspective than Riker (who is supposed to be optimistic and xenophilic, when he isn't being dragged into the clutches of Gloom). She sometimes finds herself agreeing with the positions and arguments of politicians like Ishan and Fel Pagro, and I like that - especially since the novels don't present it as Vale Is Wrong, even though our sympathies lie away from Ishan and Pagro types, but as a recognition of the need to have a counterpoint.

That's interesting; I quite like Vale. It's not always used as well as it should be, but she has a nice hard-line, more defensive take on things that serves a somewhat valuable purpose among a crew defined by optimism and free exploration, without being at odds with them. Her former career as a peace officer lends her a more cautious, less hospitable perspective than Riker (who is supposed to be optimistic and xenophilic, when he isn't being dragged into the clutches of Gloom). She sometimes finds herself agreeing with the positions and arguments of politicians like Ishan and Fel Pagro, and I like that - especially since the novels don't present it as Vale Is Wrong, even though our sympathies lie away from Ishan and Pagro types, but as a recognition of the need to have a counterpoint.
OK, you've convinced me.

Tuvok it is then...

Vale would be a good choice.

Like I said, I quite like Vale and what she brings to the dynamic. Vale must be spared!

That could work, but he's a main series character, so I'm assuming it's unlikely, and really he'd need to go out in the Ultimate Tuvok Novel if he went at all. Tuvok is granted a stay of execution unless someone can really justify it and do him justice.

Noooo! Ree is awesome, and disappointingly underused of late. Orion's Hounds, Destiny and Over A Torrent Sea used him wonderfully, but he's slipped from prominence since. Ree must be spared, and he must take us to Pahkwa and show us the wonders therein.

He's been on an interesting journey, but it's stalled somewhat. He could be an interesting kill, so long as it doesn't come across as "clearing the decks". I'd like to see more of his Guardian training come into play.

K'chak'!op

Noooooooooooo! Chaka is one of my favourites. She's the matronly, kind-hearted spider-beetle aunt we never had. Her people need to be explored in greater depth too. Chaka must be spared.

I've recently been playing a game based on "Mafia" on another forum. I think I'm still in game-mode, because I'm treating this like a decision on who to lynch at day's end.

Vale would be a good choice.

Like I said, I quite like Vale and what she brings to the dynamic. Vale must be spared!

That could work, but he's a main series character, so I'm assuming it's unlikely, and really he'd need to go out in the Ultimate Tuvok Novel if he went at all. Tuvok is granted a stay of execution unless someone can really justify it and do him justice.

Noooo! Ree is awesome, and disappointingly underused of late. Orion's Hounds, Destiny and Over A Torrent Sea used him wonderfully, but he's slipped from prominence since. Ree must be spared, and he must take us to Pahkwa and show us the wonders therein.

He's been on an interesting journey, but it's stalled somewhat. He could be an interesting kill, so long as it doesn't come across as "clearing the decks". I'd like to see more of his Guardian training come into play.

K'chak'!op

Noooooooooooo! Chaka is one of my favourites. She's the matronly, kind-hearted spider-beetle aunt we never had. Her people need to be explored in greater depth too. Chaka must be spared.

It was you that talked me out of Vale.

Now someone must pay the price...

:)

Back