So who's buying the Playstation Vita?

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Tribble puncher, Feb 17, 2012.

1. Chaos Descending

Chaos Descending Vice Admiral Admiral

For what it's worth, I can get damn near any game I want on my Android phone, AND play it with a PS3 controller via bluetooth.

However, describing how such a thing can be done may well be against this BBS's EULA. ;)

2. Lookingglassman

Lookingglassman Admiral Admiral

A guy I work with won one from Taco Bell, but he don't want it. After it arrives I am going to list it for him on ebay and we are going to split the cash.

3. gh4chiefs

gh4chiefs Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My Vita arrived yesterday but I haven't played it a whole lot yet. At first, what little I played with it, it seemed like a pretty impressive product. The screen is gorgeous and it seemed very intuitive.

However I dl'd a demo for Unit 13 from the PSN store and that caused some major issues. First the demo itself wouldn't play properly as there was no sound from it, then eventually it just froze all together. I exited out, tried to restart the demo, with no luck, and then finally I tried to shut the Vita down and couldn't. Ended up having to call Sony and figuring out how to do a hard reset. It APPEARS the issue is isolated that one demo, and the customer service guy claimed to have had other calls about the demo, and it's running fine now (I completely deleted that demo).

Not a very good start for me. My advice to anyone thinking about getting a Vita. Wait a little longer, they clearly don't have everything worked out yet.

4. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like the look of it and I like the 3Gness of it but I don't think I'd get much use of it. My old PSP sits around collecting dust.

5. gh4chiefs

You've described my situation exactly. While I like Angry Birds, there are times I want more. I bought Madden for the Ipad and I personally found it impossible to control using the touchscreen interface.

And in the case of handhelds, Nintendo by and large doesn't make the kind of games I want. So that's why I went with a Vita. I really liked my PSP when I had it but became a little frustrated at hte lack of a second analog stick. Since I bitched about that for years, I almost felt obligated to get the Vita now that Sony FINALLY got it right with the controls.

6. gh4chiefs

After a full day of messing with it on and off I have to say I'm pretty impressed with what the hardware is capable of, such as the rear touchpad interface, the tilt sensors, etc. But the question becomes will they be able to implement these features into games in a manner that feels natural and not forced or gimmicky.

The first game I've been playing is Rayman Orgins which I guess is a port, and at times, because of screen size, it can be a bit tough to play for my old eyes. I'm eager to play a game that was built from the ground up specifically for the Vita to see how goes. I have Uncharted coming in the mail in a few days.

On a side note, a big FU to Bestbuy.com. I ordered the Vita, a 8 GB memory card, and the Uncharted game all at the same time on the same order, and what does BB do? They ship all 3 separately with different carriers. They made sure I got the Vita on 2/22 but why in the hell they didn't put the rest of the order in the same box so I could have had it all the same time is beyond me.

7. CAPTAINMAX

CAPTAINMAX Lieutenant Red Shirt

I`m still debating what to do about the vita,i`v had a ps2 for years now and had a psp in the past.
    I`v looked online and read about it but i still can`t decide if it`s worth it.

8. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

Well I think I'll wait for a price drop.

9. CAPTAINMAX

CAPTAINMAX Lieutenant Red Shirt

thats a good idea,i might do that also.

10. Magellan

Magellan Commander Red Shirt

I'd prefer a weaker system with better battery life. I could play my Neo Geo Pocket for a week and then put it in the closet. Six months later it would still have plenty of battery left. I cant even get through a plane ride with the PSP and by all accounts the 3DS and Vita are worse.

That said I did pick up a PSP in anticipation of all the awesome games it would have and feel pretty burned about that. I've had the system for like 5 years and have only like 7 games. I'll pick up a Vita once I feel sure that the library is gonna be there to make it worth it (and no Im not interested in Uncharted)

11. gh4chiefs

Yeah that's the one thing I regret, not waiting for the inevitable price drop. I really like the Vita, but if I could have broken my foolish need to have the "latest and greatest" I undoubtedly would have saved some money.

12. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Handheld game systems do nothing for me. If I'm going to game I'm going to be sitting comfortably in a chair with a nice big TV in front of me, not looking at some tiny little screen. If I'm out and about I'm hiking or cycling in a park or shopping, etc, and clearly not gaming and if I'm on a plane or a train then I'm reading a book.

No offense intended but I simply see things like this Vita as what you give the kids to keep them entertained in the back seat on a long drive.

13. gh4chiefs

None taken on my part. I figure it's different strokes for different folks. At home, I agree, I'm on the console except now with the Vita some nights I find myself taking it to bed to play a bit before lights out. Other nights maybe I'll read.

I also play during my lunch hour. Also when I go visit my parents and I can't stand why they're watching on TV I may fire it up and play for a bit. In my mind, it's just an alternative source of entertainment, one that gives me a little flexibility to take gaming to places where I normally wouldn't be able to do so.

14. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually prefer the comfort and convenience of handheld gaming over the television even at home. It's nice to be able to flick the power switch, taking the handheld out of sleep mode (I never turn my handhelds off), and instantly resume playing a game. I can lie down in bed, curl up on the couch, or play while cooking dinner. It also doesn't tie up the entire living room which is good if you live with other people.

And I just plain prefer the games on the DS/PSP over the current console games, so that's a big part of it too.

15. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Last edited: Mar 7, 2012
  16. Winterwind

Winterwind Commodore Commodore

Hahaha!

"You've confused me with the back of your box, Sony, and now I hate you."

Brilliant. Thanks for posting that link, Cutter John.