So what's happening with the DS9 line of novels?

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by DS9forever, Mar 22, 2019.

1. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Has anyone asked Joan Van Citters, Margaret Clark or Ed Schlesinger about the current status of the DS9 novels? Are they waiting for the documentary to come out, to reboot the series based on the post-finale story ideas that Ira Behr, Ronald D. Moore, Robert Hewitt Wolfe & co will through out there? Unlikely, but a man can dream.

Are David R. George III, Jeffrey Lang & Una McCormack waiting in the wings? Hopefully!

Kilana2 likes this.
  2. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I imagine they're in limbo while everyone figures out what 24th century stories are going to be possible once Picard debuts, and/or sales numbers from the new Trek publishing plan (all trade paperbacks) indicate what's plausible in that format. (ie, I don't think it's a coincidence that after such a long time off, we're only getting TOS and TNG novels, the two best selling series.)

3. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

That reads as a disturbing prospect. But... *sigh*

Kilana2 likes this.
  4. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm waiting for a similar thing to happen, as what happen to star wars fiction post-disney. That what came before is discontinued. They will simply focus on TOS, Discovery, the Picard series and any other new CBS shows.

5. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

At the very least there is still the one Voyager novel in the pipeline.

And with TNG, we could always see crossovers with DS9 and Voyager, like what was happening back between 2005 and 2009 where there were no Voyager stand-alone’s but a few Voyager characters were still crossing over to TNG books.

6. Damian

Damian Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I actually wouldn't be surprised if we don't see anymore DS9 novels (or Voyager novels after To Lose the Earth comes out eventually).

I think with all the shows CBS will have on the air soon, Pocketbooks is going to focus on tie ins to those shows, and original series novels will always be released. And I think TNG novels will continue until the nu-TNG show comes out.

But assuming the nu-TNG comes out and wipes out most of the current litverse (which I expect it will do though they may cherry pick some elements to survive) I really doubt they'll commission any more DS9 or Voyager novels (or probably even Enterprise though that is less likely to be affected).

And part of that is marketing. They're in the business to sell money and while it saddens me to say this a Discovery, nu-TNG, or Section 31 show based novel is more likely to sell books than a book tied in to a show that ended years ago. It was different when there was no shows on the air and just 3 Abramsverse movies, but now it will all be centered around the current shows---and again original series novels (those will always exist).

Allyn Gibson likes this.
  7. Damian

That frankly is our best hope for DS9 and future Voyager books--that maybe a character or characters from one of those other shows appears in a future TNG (or nu-TNG) novel.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

We don't know that for sure. All we know is that Amazon has a placeholder listing that says "Untitled STV," which could be a typo for all we know.

9. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

No, that's definitely true. It might or might not be "Untitled STV" but To Lose The Earth is contracted and Kirsten's planning to fulfill the obligation.

KimMH likes this.
  10. 20fridge

20fridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Maybe STV means it's a Final Frontier prequel. Like, the Sybok backstory everyone's been asking for :p

XCV330, Leto_II, TheAlmanac and 2 others like this.
  11. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been wondering what's going to happen to the Ds9 book line. They're one of my favorite books series.I was hoping we'd get another Sisko novel exploring the Gamma Quadarnt.

Damian, DS9forever and Kilana2 like this.
  12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Once the Picard series has firmed up, I'm betting we see other books crossing over with that time frame. ie. What Sisko was up to when Picard was doing his new thing. What Janeway was doing.

Danlav05 and GaryH like this.
  13. Damian

Yeah, me too. I loved the Mission Gamma books years back that were the same idea and was hoping to see more with Sisko.

I'm not sure if the original message was inferring the STV book listed in Amazon was a Voyager book, or if they were referring to To Lose the Earth. I think Christopher was just saying that the STV book is not necessarily a Voyager book.

Though I wouldn't totally rule out the possibility To Lose the Earth gets quietly cancelled. If Beyer never completely finished it and if the nu-TNG show wipes out much of the ongoing litverse all parties might decide that it might be best not to release it. I'm not saying that will be the case, but I think it's an outside possibility.

14. tomswift2002

tomswift2002 Commodore Commodore

I was referring to TLTE.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I've been thinking the same thing. Depending on what the show does, I could see at least a few books like that.

Jedi Ben and Therin of Andor like this.
  16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

too bad the year hiatus happened when it did, may have killed the last chance to get some of these stories out before Picard overwrites them.

While I don't overly care about GQ exploration, I'd have liked to at least see the payoff for the wormhole/Prophets storyline they were setting up. Not looking great for that at the moment

OCD Geek and DS9forever like this.
  17. veritech

veritech Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I felt like Star Wars fiction really took a hit post-Disney buy out. All post Return of the Jedi novels were put on hold pending episodes 7-9 and everything published during those years is mostly filler and side-stories with little impact on the main saga. I hope the same doesn't happen to ST fiction. It's been nice following a progressive line-wide narrative for the past 15 years.

ATimson likes this.
  18. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I dunno, I quite like some of the new-continuity backstory novels I've read, particularly Ahsoka and Claudia Gray's Leia novels. Then again, I found the Aftermath trilogy underwhelming.

Getting closer to 20 now. SCE began and A Stitch in Time came out in 2000, and the DS9 relaunch began in 2001.

19. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

If you include The Lives of Dax we've hit the 20 year mark.

Therin of Andor likes this.
  20. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

15 years or 20 years, It still isn't long enough