So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I decided to get back to the Post-Nemesis litverse, that ive left sitting on my shelf for too long. So i'm currently on Titan: The Red King by Andy Mangels and Michael A Martin.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Death comes to Pemberley by P.D.James

3. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Commodore Commodore

Paradise Regained.

4. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished my first read of Academy: Collision Course. I give it 3 out of 5, and that may be generous. Spending time with Kirk and Spock was enjoyable, and I enjoyed seeing the Enterprise and Finnegan much more than I expected. I definitely saw the two leads as Pine and Quinto, which helped me like the book more. The story definitely felt long and contrived, and I liked Griff about as little as the similarly named character from Back to the Future Part 2. Though I love the episode "The Conscience of the King," I did not need any of the Tarsus flashbacks, especially after just reading Drastic Measures not too long ago.

If you want to read Shatner Trek, I still would recommend The Ashes of Eden as the one and only book needed.

5. Reanok

Star Trek Tos Dreams of the Raven by Carmen Carter

Desert Kris likes this.
  6. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Finished Dooku: Jedi lost by Cavan Scott.
    Book was not terrible, I only didn't like the ending, It felt rushed.
    Now reading master and aprentice by Claudia Gray

7. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

SPARTAN GOLD by Clive Cussler and Grant Blackwood

The first of the Sam and Remi Fargo spinoffs, which comes over as sort of Cussler meets HartTo Hart with adventurous engineers instead of a businessman with a journalist wife. It’s the usual mix of historical treasure hunting and action-thriller chase, this time following chunks of mainly Napoleonic history. The blurb for it thoroughly spoilers the true search, but the action – especially the infiltration of the villain’s lair – is highly entertaining.

The Cussler cameo, rarer in the spinoffs, is kind of OK insofar as it’s the pilot in a series, so helps link to the ‘verse generally.

Harmless formulaic fun and action, though I still think the Paul Kemprecos NUMA Files ones were the best-written. A fun diversion while sunning in the garden.

8. Reanok

Star Trek TOS Garth of Izar by Pamela Sargent&George Zebrowski

9. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Fleet Captain Premium Member

An oldie (but not, unfortunately, a goodie):

Black Fire, with a simultaneous read-through of the fanzine “Infinite Diversity” #5, from 1984, which contains all the material cut or rewritten from the original manuscript. This includes the entire second half of the book, rewritten at the behest of the Pocket editor.

I wish we had more artifacts like this!

trampledamage likes this.
  10. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Latest episode of Literary Treks is up: Literary Treks 303: A Pair of Legs in Sickbay, all about Voyager: String Theory, Book I: Cohesion by Jeffrey Lang.

Currently reading String Theory, Book II: Fusion by Kirsten Beyer for the next episode!

11. hbquikcomjamesl

hbquikcomjamesl Commodore Commodore

Since it came up in other discussions recently, Forged in Fire.

Any idea why a relatively minor ST novelist got Tuckerized as the Excelsior's CMO? (I'm guessing, based on Memory Beta and on copyright dates, that the Tuckerization actually happened a decade earlier, in War Dragons.

12. Reanok

Star trek Seven deadly sins story anthology

Greg Cox likes this.
  13. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Star Trek Captain's Table: The Mist (DS9)

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I finished up ST: TNG Terra Ingonita, which which I enjoyed quite a bit, and I started The Amazing Spider-Man: Died in Your Arms Tonight, which is written by Marc Guggenheim, Dan Slot, Roger Stern, and Mark Waid, and art by Mario Alberti, Pat Olliffe, John Romita Jr., and Val Semeiks.

15. Stephen!

Stephen! Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've finished reading "The Crimson Shadow" - Currently taking a break from reading, and will probably finish "Cold Equations" book 03 at some point, since I was around halfway through that.

16. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I am about 2/3 done with The Escape Room by Megan Goldin. It's a thriller that also has some interesting things to say about the cutthroat world of finance and institutional sexism.

I also just started The Price of Time by Tim Tigner. Already, it has posed some rich questions about how you would go about keeping your immortality a secret in this modern age and how you would spend your time if given earthly immortality.

17. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Just posted my video review of Dave Galanter's Star Trek: Discovery: Dead Endless. I loved this novel. First part of the video is spoiler-free, but there's not much to talk about with regards to this novel before getting into spoilers!

Just finished reading Voyager: String Theory, Book II: Fusion by Kirsten Beyer. Getting started on book 3 now!

18. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Death of the Planet of the Apes by Andrew Gaska.

19. Reanok

Artemis by Andy Weir & Rescue Mode by Ben Bova&Les Johnson

20. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Moderator

I haven't read anything by Andy Weir other than The Martian - what's Artemis like?