SNW uniforms and characters revealed (old and new)

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Strange New Worlds' started by NCC-73515, Sep 9, 2021.

1. bryce

bryce Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Star Trek '09, Pike refered to "the Federation" as a "humanitarian and peacekeeping armada." - I am assuming that Pike meant *Starfleet* was a "humanitarian and peacekeeping armada".

And I've always liked that explaination of Starfleet's mission. How cool is that? I could be a proud to be a part of an organization like that. Could you imagine if the US (or whatever) military has "humanitarian armada" as part of it's mission description!?

Though I would amend that to "Humanitarian, Peacekeeping, and Exploration Armada".

And "Peacekeeping" involves fighting some times.

I suspect actually that over different eras and under different administrations and different political climates - both internal to the Federation and external to it, and even among different captains and admirals over the centuries, there has been an robust debate about what role Starfleet has in the Federation and what their focus "should" be.

Kirk in the rough and tumble 23rd centuries with "Klingons and Romulans hiding around every nebula" that he saw a more militaristic role - but he also gives the "Her 5-year mission" speech at the start of every show, which says it's "...to Explore Strange New Worlds, Seek Out New Life, New Civilizations, to Boldly Go Where No Man/One Has Gone Before..." - in other words, *exploration*. Nothing about "to defend to Federation, to kick ass, and take names...

AT THE SAME TIME...it's naive to ignore that Starfleet ships are HEAVILY ARMED (a single ship could blow an undefended planet back to the Stone Age, and glass much of it's surface.

And it's clear that Starfleet is the Federation's first line of defense in an invasion...and it's last line. And it falls to them to fight wars, such as the Dominion War, etc. That tradition predates the Federation. Plus the MACOS were folded into Starfleet, and apparently more than just "absorbed" but the MACOS mission ALSO became Starfleet's, as signified by the MACOS 5-pointed star thingy being put in the center of the Starfleet arrowhead/chevron emblem, according to "Enterprise". (I was disappointed when watching "Beyond" when the USS Franklin emblem just has some regular looking small 4-pointed star inside the chevron. Seemed to be a continuity gaff to me at first...but THEN just yesterday I noticed that same star shape in ALL OF the various MACO individual ship patches.

I do think the inconsistent quotes about the nature of Starfleet likely reflect an ongoing societal debate about what Starfleet *should* be.

ANYWAY...in *MY* "headcanon" Starfleet is...

"Starfleet is a Humanitarian and Peacekeeping Armada, the Exploration and First Contact Arm of the United Federation of Planets, it Represents the Federation, and it's Values, to the rest of the Galaxy. And we are the Federation's First and Last Line of Defense, Protecting it's Homeworlds, Colonies and Outposts, and Aiding our Allies when we are called upon.

THERE IS NO CALL WE WILL NOT ANSWER, NO TRUST WE BETRA...Ahay...oops, wrong franchise. sorry.

Anyway, WE ARE RANGERS, WE STAND ON THE BRIDGE, AND NONE MAY PASS, WE LIVE FOR THE ONE, WE DIE FOR THE...wait, I am doing it again...it's IN BRIGHTEST DAY IN BLACKEST NIGHT...

Uh...We Look For Things, Things To Make Us Go...

2. fireproof78

fireproof78 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes.

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    With our national hubris and marketing skills, yes. I could see that, as clumsy as it would seem. :D

4. fireproof78

The US NAVY already tried with the "Global Force for Good" campaign. The Army National Guard and Air National Guard both advertise and being humanitarian in their efforts to support local communities.

This is not a new idea.

5. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't "humanitarian" kinda... racist... in the Star Trek universe? :D

6. fireproof78

Nobody's perfect.

:vulcan:;)

Rahul likes this.
  7. Rahul

Rahul Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Fleet Admiral Admiral

9. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Gorkon's daughter thought so. I'm sure if aliens don't speak standard the UT translates it as something appropriate for them.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  10. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Sentientarian" might be better?

11. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

Easily, as you've basically described the US Coast Guard. Especially if you fold the NOAA into it.

fireproof78 likes this.
  12. mattman8907

mattman8907 Commodore Commodore

everything looks so cool looking.

13. cooleddie74

The landing party jackets in much closer detail:

[​IMG]

Harpsichord and 137th Gebirg like this.
  14. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Number One has Vulcan eyebrows?

15. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

Ooohh, I like those!

Although I initially misread the watermark as being "SEX MAGAZINE". :lol:

16. fireproof78

I actually kind of appreciate how neutral they are. It makes it more possible for a senior office to not be detected right upon beaming down and killed by hostile forces.

cooleddie74 likes this.
  17. UssGlenn

UssGlenn Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

We see them in the trailer too, but they only seem to show up with that hairstyle.

18. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

THIS AIN'T YOUR FATHER'S STAR TREK

137th Gebirg likes this.
  19. cooleddie74

Yep, like the ENT, Pilot episode and TMP ones. You really have to look hard to tell the ranks of the officers and even then it's not always visible.

GNDN18 and fireproof78 like this.
  20. Ray Hardgrit

Ray Hardgrit Commodore Commodore

That's been SFX's problem forever, as they always have an actor's face covering up the bottom of the F on the cover. Do a Google image search for "sfx magazine" and you'll see what I mean.

Ar-Pharazon and 137th Gebirg like this.