Smallville: season 9

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Samurai8472, Jan 9, 2009.

1. MeanJoePhaser

MeanJoePhaser Admiral

Marc Alaimo as Darkseid!

Jeffery Combs as Desaad!

Michael Dorn as Kalibak!

Dame Edna as Granny Goodness!

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

As long as they're still going and still stunt casting, they should have Routh play an antagonist, and have a Welling/Routh fight...

3. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily. They still can recast him if they want.

4. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yes, I realize it's just a place holder.

I'm commenting on Rosenbaum's comments that they shouldn't be doing this. No actor is irreplacable. He did a great job, and got well deserved acclaim, but he shouldn't let it go to his head.

5. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

As long you're still casting a man in the role, Ed Asner would do just fine IMO. :)

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

So are we all in agreement that the body with all the tubes is Lex even though they haven't stated so yet? If so then I wouldn't mind a recast if they're not able to sign Michael and agree to that cap. Every Smallville fan will know that it was Michael who defined the role anyways and whoever might succeed him was doing it because they couldn't sign him back.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

But why bring back Lex at this point? As Michael or anyone else? They had 7 season of Lex Luthor. One of the reasons the show has improved this season is finally moving away from his character.

8. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

I honestly think that it's the original BrainIAC

9. LaxScrutiny

Potentially, the reason for bringing Lex back is that Lex is the ultimate recurring character in the Superman mythos. That doesn't mean every episode or season needs to revolve around him, but we need to feel he's always out there somewhere. I think what we've seen this far (assume the tube-man is Lex) is fine. But I don't think it makes sense for character consistancy for Lex to just drop it, disappear and leave Clark alone.

The story has created a conflict that still has to be brought to a climax and conclusion. Lex knows about Clark/Kal El. Neither one of them can leave this alone now. Clark knows Lex has his number, knows his weakness, and has an obsession about controlling him. Clark has seen how Lex, in an alternate future, used Kara to assume power and destroy the world. Lex is still the same guy, it wasn't an alternate personality for him.

To me, it's kind of like Harry Potter, "Neither can live while the other survives." They way they've told the story so far, that's how it's set up now.

I think it's fine if Lex lays low for a while, but for me the story says he can't just be "gone".

With Rosenbaum off the show, their options are limited, but the story needs a bit more resolution there for an ideal ending.

Meaning, it has to reach a situation where Lex can't touch Clark Kent, even though he fights Superman. That may be magical Kryptonian Mind Wipe, or it may be blackmail, or something in between, it doesn't matter, but it has to get into the story somehow.

10. the Dagman

the Dagman Commodore Commodore

What I think would be a spectacularly surprising reveal would be the bald guy with tubes is actually... Lionel Luthor! Remember, he was experimenting with Clark's blood for years. He even brought Adam Knight back to life with it in the course of his experiments to find a cure for his terminal liver disease. I'd wager he could have had some still kicking around for an emergency, as well as a trusted lackey with instructions to inject that blood into his corpse ASAP should Lionel ever die.

So, it could be Lionel restored to life and recuperating from his 30-some story fall. Because I would bet at this moment they could get John Glover back more easily than Michael Rosenbaum.

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

Lionel.
    Not.
    Dead.

:)

12. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

It being Lionel would be a big surprise. I wouldn't mind it. Anyone else remember the internet rumor that Lionel would kill Lex and transfer his consciousness into his son's body to be immortal?

13. Kryton

Kryton Admiral Admiral

Dunno about that...Glover's working on a new series isn't he?

14. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

Only guest shots. He just finished up filming for Brothers & Sisters where he plays the Uncle's boyfriend. He's filming for Heroes now.

15. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Not even REMOTELY close to the truth there. The Luthors WERE the shows best element through all seven seasons of the show. The feeling of resurgence for this year is fan reactions to the new show runners that automatically gives it a new fresh feeling to the haters out there. While I am definitely enjoying this season, and most assuredly want a season 9, this year hasn't had any great episodes yet but maybe is a tad more consitently good. No big clunkers like Firce from eason 7 this season but nothing close to standout great episodes like Shattered, Memoria, Tranference, Oynx, Lexmas, Reckoning, Mercy, Reunion, Justice, Crimon, Promise, Fracture, Veritas and Descent yet either. Now, Legion has the possibility of being that type of episode, but we'll have to see this thursday. An even then that's a stunt casting episode that brings in outside heroe to load up on the geek quotient.

16. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I agree 100%. Or at least, the writers put him there like that so, if MR does come agree to come back, it can be Lex. If he doesn't, they can go the other direction.

And, maybe instead of season 9, the can just redo season 7.

17. nx1701g

nx1701g Admiral Admiral

^ Exactly why I thought that :D

18. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

If anyone here cares, all seven seasons of Smallville on DVD are $19.99 each at Best Buy and Amazon.

19. LaxScrutiny

Awsome!! I've worn out my first two sets, I'll get three more just in case.

20. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

When the big reveal happened and they showed the dude I thought it was Brainiac who was sitting somewhere inside the Fortress or another location uploading all of the information from a computer program that had been infecting Chloe. The trailers that CW has been showing...particularly the one at the end where Tess is telling someone how much she loved them (either Ollie or Lex) had me thinking that this was a Lex bodydouble. It would make some sense. The Fortress collapsed around Clark and Lex, Lex's body drifted around the artic until it was detected and discovered by the Brainiac computer which then planned on using it as a new host and is using Chloe as a temporary host. That might be too far fetched...my friend is convinced that it's Lex while I'm leaning towards Brainiac.