Smallville Season 11, it"s happening...

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by ncc71877, Feb 9, 2012.

1. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I'm looking forward to taking a gander at the first two issues once our color tablet arrives. I figure that's probably the best way to read it at leisure. The fact that most everything I've read about S11 is positive has me a bit more psyched to read it.

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

First off... 'bout fuckin; time! Was the book on fuckin' hiatus? Jay-sus! I gots to get me Smallvile fix!

The latest ish, #4, was a nice little read. Miller has really figured out how to pace these chapters so he can cover as much ground as possible and still be coherent.

As on the show Lex Luthor is the most interesting character in troupe. His obsessive side was in full swing in this issue. His drive for at least half the series was unlocking the secret of what happened to him on that bridge. His new drive is unlocking the memories that Tess' has stolen away from him. The funny thing is that both of those drives would lead to the same thing.

Clark Kent's little secret.

I'm hoping Miller doesn't tease us with Lex's obsession for seven more seasons like Gough and Millar did. I think the ramifications of Lex finding out Superman's secret identity would be fascinating. Especially in light of his new initiative. His orbital defense platform. Ostensibly to defend Earth from alien invasion but (I'm certain) in truth to attack Superman.

Naturally, with the introduction of Hank Henshaw, we're looking at the start of a threat far worse than any Lex could conceive Superman capable of. I almost wish I could warn Henshaw.

Almost.

We wouldn't have a season if I actually succeeded in warning him! :lol:

3. Admiral James Kirk

Issue 5 is out today, booyaka!

There's some foreshadowing of Cyborg Superman and it's done in the typical subtle fashion we've come to expect from the series called Smallville. ;)

We get some character building as Clark interviews Henshaw. Miller's writing is surprisingly ham fisted in this scene. In one particularly bad piece of writing Henshaw gives a whole monologue on what a sensualist he is. I suppose that this is so we'll feel sorry for him when he loses his ability to taste, touch and feel anything. :lol: Po' baby.

I don't think it's going to surprise anybody who doesn't read Superman comics that Henshaw is going to be this season's big bad. First off he's very skeptical of Superman. On Smallville if you don't worship Clark then you're being set up as the villain. ;)

It also doesn't help that this Hank Henshaw feels that Superman should be imposing his will on humanity and forcing us to conform to a higher standard rather than lead by setting a good example.

In a better written piece of character building there was an enjoyable confrontation between Ollie and Lex. Ollie proves he's nobody's fool by accusing Lex of murdering Tess. On the other hand Lex reveals he knows about Ollie's base on the moon and calls the other members of the JL, "super friends". :lol: The renewed Ollie/Lex antagonism looks to be a highlight of this season.

The cliffhanger for this issue was a good one, with Hank Henshaw left in mortal danger and this season's little bad declaring: "This looks like a job for Superman."

Miller's making it very difficult for me to wait until next week.

He really is. :)

Last edited: May 29, 2012
  4. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Too bad he was never the show runner of the series, because this has been glorious so far! See what happens when Brian and Kelly are kept away from things?

5. Admiral James Kirk

Yeah, it's been a fun season so far. I wish they could get the cast together again for a movie version of this. I'd pay to see it.

6. Admiral_Young

I kind of wish we'd gotten the novel of this like originally planned...but yeah this has been fun so far!

7. Admiral James Kirk

Do you think we're the only ones reading the comic? :lol:

8. Admiral_Young

It sure seems that way doesn't it? I wouldn't be surprised if we were in the minority...the series burned a lot of bridges with fans.

9. Admiral James Kirk

I watched Voyager for seven years. I can forgive anything Smallville throws at me, no matter how insipid. :lol: Besides season 11 makes up for a lot. :)

10. Admiral_Young

It also could be fans don't know about the comic book. I know some friends of mine who are fans who didn't know about it...and still don't. Or simply don't care about it any more lol.

11. Admiral James Kirk

I have a good friend who liked the show and knows about the comic. I don't know if he's reading it though. If he's not, that's a shame. It's a good book. Did you ever read the Superboy comic based on the 80s series? Was better than the show in every way, shape and form. DC has a knack of showing up their television shows with great comics adaptations. :)

12. Admiral_Young

I read and had a few of those old issues. I have thought that the Superboy series that Jeff Lemaire wrote prior to the relaunch was kind of an attempt at how to do "Smallville" right. Same with Grant Morrison's Action Comics, he mentioned "Smallville" in an interview (never watched it lol). The comic reminds me a lot of the series, but without all the stupid stuff.

13. Admiral James Kirk

Sounds like there's a lot of great books I haven't read. I'll have to look into it one of these days.

14. Admiral_Young

The trade for Action Comics is released in the first week of August.

15. Admiral James Kirk

Thanks for the tip. :)

16. Admiral James Kirk

It's time for Smallville: Season 11 #6! What an issue! All Superman action, all the time! Superman saves all the astronauts except for... Oh shit! Hank Henshaw has been badly burned and is suffering from radiation exposure. I hope he doesn't turn into a super villain or anything! :lol:

The plot-what little there was of it in this action oriented issue-thickens, boooooy does it thicken as we learn that the Guardian defense platform was fired intentionally, most likely by Lex Luthor. The issue ends with Lex grinning, knowing he's about to have an audience with Superman.

I think Smallville #7 will give us the first instance of the Lex/Superman confrontation in the Smallville canon. The sparks flying between the two should be interesting considering Supes knows everything about Lex and Lex knows nothing about Supes. The dynamic between the two should prove to be quite fascinating.

Also Otis has information on Tess' memory virus. We don't know what yet, but Miller's got me waiting again!

Damn you Brian Q! You've hooked me in like a fish and now you think you can reel me in week after week after week!

Well, you're right. :lol:

17. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

I have yet to find the first four in a physical, printed form, but I'm planning to download them onto our new e-reader once I have it up and running. I figure what better way to read a digital comic-book than on a color reader?

Glad to know that this 'season' outshines what we saw on the tube. And I'm very anxious to see how my beloved Chlovage is drawn in comic form.

:techman:

18. Admiral James Kirk

Chloe's around and she's still cute as hell but there's not a lot of her. Not yet. There's still quite a bit of season left to go. :)

19. Admiral_Young

I have to catch up...

20. Admiral James Kirk

Hurry the hell up, I've got nobody to talk to! :lol: