Smallville#9-13 "Warrior" - Discuss/Grade <Spoilers>

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by nx1701g, Feb 12, 2010.

?

Grade "Warrior"

1. SUPERMAN (Excellent)

13.0%
  2. Red/Blue Blur (Above Average)

52.2%
  3. CLARK KENT (Average)

13.0%
  4. Kal-El (Below Average)

13.0%
  5. BIZARRO (Poor)

8.7%
  1. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    no... the article implies she directed the entire episode...
    http://www.newsarama.com/comics/Allison-Mack-Smallville-100212.html

2. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

What is it with this show and magic ? Sorry, but a BIZARRO from me. :(

3. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Contrast this scene with Zatanna trying to jump & hump Clark. The Zatanna scene is straight out of an adolescent fantasy (hot chick wants you so bad she casts a spell and you don't have do anything or say a word). The Chloe scene is subtle but at the same time obvious meeting between two adults looking to fill a void. The Chloe scene is how it really happens.

The episode was about fantasy vs .... not quite reality, but taking life too seriously. The two foreplay scenes contrast that. Fantasy is ... fantasy. It doesn't lead anywhere.

4. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's a series based on a comic book about an alien from another galaxy who looks human and just being under a yellow sun makes him invincible and gives him the ability to shoot fire from his eyes.

And you question magic? (Despite Zatanna being a DC comic book character.)

Last edited: Feb 14, 2010
  5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^No, I question the quality of episodes that feature magic and the supernatural. They have been universally poor. "Spell" ? "Thirst" ?

It's just not a subject this show deals with very well.

6. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Exactly. Magic and fantasy have always been part of the SUPERMAN comics. Remember Mr. Mxy (sorry, I'm not even going to attempt spelling his full name), Clark's mermaid girlfriend, the time Jimmy turned into a werewolf . . . .

It's comic book silliness. Go with it.

(FYI, it's Zatanna, not "Zantanna." Nothing personal. For some reason, it's a very common mistake.)

7. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

^These are things I know. I'm not objecting to the presence of magic in the show, I'm objecting to the fact that whenever they use it the episode is always awful, like this one was in my opinion.

It's a waste, this time, of a potentially interesting character and a really, really gorgeous actress.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Because she's a "black magic woman" you big silly.

9. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Would love to hear exactly what it was that you didn't like, and how you would have done it better.

The magic was incorporated directly into the storyline, it made WA pretty close to Captain Marvel rather than Superman. It worked a lot better than the old freak-of-the-week meteor episodes.

The actress playing Zatanna was gorgeous, with the most wooden delivery I've seen yet in the show. Every time she opened her mouth I just could conceive of her actually thinking and saying those lines.

10. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

That took me a second...

11. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I am sure not many guys could last long with her. Not even before she could get the fishnets off. Its ok dude....

Last edited: Feb 15, 2010
  12. Brent

Brent Admiral Admiral

The only magic episode I really hated in Smallville was the one with Lana where she was a witch

13. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I've seen every episode of Smallville.

I know not of this episode you speak, clearly you made it up.

14. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Blacked it out? :lol:

15. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Zatanna is hot. I'm surprised no one pointed this out yet. And I think she looks better in her normal clothes. The magician's outfit doesn't do much for me. I want to see her back in the skirt and boots she wore last year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

What else...

- I agree with what's been said about her and Clark. She does seem like a good fit for him relationship wise. They both have powers and know eachother's secrets. That's a good foundation right there. Of course, I have to remember that the Lois and Clark dynamic is pretty good too. He's just gotta tell her everything. At this point, the secret he's keeping from her seems forces and contrived. Everyone else knows, even the odd stranger, but not Lois.

- When I saw the Ollie-Ollie-Oop with Chloe, I thought... It's about time. Not because I think they make a great couple, but because it just seems like they should have hooked up by now. It won't last and I got the feeling that she'll go bad or something.

- The kid becoming Angel Warrior reminded me of Captain Marvel.

16. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

Here you go...

Lois was hot in that episode.

17. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm a sucker for fishnets, I'd just have her keep them on.

18. broberfett

broberfett Vice Admiral Admiral

Relaxing in Slave I listening to Holy Diver
    The picture makes it look good.

19. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

What I didn't like:

- I'm sure I'm going to sound like a stuck record here, but when a hot girl does it to a guy with magic or red Kryptonite it's okay, when a guy does it with rohypnol in a girl's drink it's date rape. Clark told Zatanna he was with Lois and that was that, so what does she do ? Even looking like that she can't get a man without force ?

- Natal product placement ? Already ?

- Serinda Swan's acting is not good.

- The sudden, out of nowhere Chloe/Oliver thing. First, we've barely acknowledged that Chloe's husband died all season. And Oliver talking about not having any fun ? Wasn't his problem that he had too much fun ?

- The Clark/Lois let's make each other jealous crap gets really boring really fast.

To make this episode any better the entire plot of "Hex" would need to be changed so that Zatanna could be someone entirely more trustworthy than she's presented here.

The whole "how to be a hero" storyline could have been replaced with Clark teaching Zatanna how to be one. With her track record, she needs the lessons - little ones about not abusing ones powers, for instance.

20. FreezeC77

FreezeC77 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wait you mean she talked? :wtf:

Are you sure? Guess I was distracted... :drool: