"Sky Fighter"

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by tharpdevenport, May 2, 2018.

1. tharpdevenport

tharpdevenport Admiral Admiral

Lukas Kendall, who released the complete scores to "Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan" and "Star Trek III: The Search for Spock", as well as 99% of Ron Jones' scoring to "Star Trek: The Next Generation", on the defunct Film Score Monthly label, started a fund-raiser to make a short film called "Sky Fighter", to eventually lead to a feature length film.

Ron Jones has already agreed to score it. Lukas wants to hold off for now on an IMDb page.

I'm not here to ask people to fund it, but rather promote it and let you decide. For a man who's done so much for Star Trek scores, I think it's the least I can do. Plus, I want a short film score and hopefully a film score from Ron Jones!

(Link for those who can't see embedded Youtube videos [though it's also in the IndieGoGo page]: youtube.com/watch?v=HqQzKn27e4A)

If you want to learn more and possibly donate, you can search IndieGoGo and "Skyfighter" in a search engine like Google or DuckDuckGo.

I asked a MOD in advance (Timby) if this might be okay; I asked him originally since I was thinking of the SF&F subforum, which was not correct, but then asked if this one might be. So, if a MOD of this forum feels otherwise...

Last edited: May 5, 2018
    Armus, Lukas Kendall and Indysolo like this.
  2. Lukas Kendall

Lukas Kendall Ensign Red Shirt

Thanks for the nice words!

These things don't get a lot of responses unless you are controversial. Maybe we should make up a juicy rumor?

Lukas

dmac likes this.
  3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Did you ask Timby if a fundraising link was allowed? The Mods usually remove those.

4. tharpdevenport

I didn't think to ask; it seemed forgone I was going to link to it; there's nothing else to link to.

I'll let the MODs decide how they want to handle this.

This one time, at band camp, Lukas...

5. jespah

jespah Taller than a Hobbit Moderator

I am da mod. So, er, stay tuned, okay?

Of course I am totally cool with reporting on the production and the video. Just not a fan for the IGG link (or KS or any of the other crowdfunding outfits). Basically, crowdfunding platforms are not for IP violating productions, which every fan production is by definition (sorry, sports fans). I know these productions need $$. I do understand that.

So I'm mulling.

Thank you for starting the topic @tharpdevenport . I would, though, feel more comfortable if it was exactly as it is except sans IGG link. No problem with telling people it's on IGG. But they can search for it there themselves, yes?

Admiral2 likes this.
  6. Maurice

^^^That's usually what T'Bonz has said. If people are interested enough to support it they can find it with the Googles. Otherwise it's free advertising, and it invites everyone and their sister to come in and post crowdfunding links.

Last edited: May 5, 2018
  7. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

But Jespah, he is from New England like us... LOL ;)

Last edited: May 4, 2018
  8. Lukas Kendall

Hello Moderator(s): I appreciate your position and don't want to run afoul of your rules.

My production is not a fan film; it is an original story, meaning original I.P. that I created and own.

The Star Trek connection is that my composer is Ron Jones from TNG ("The Best of Both Worlds"). Also we have several Star Trek-related items available as perks for donors...and I was the producer of many of the recent Trek related CDs.

Does this help? Thanks!

Lukas Kendall

9. jespah

Then it's kinda not in the right forum. Let's figure out where it goes, okay?

And you might end up in hot water offering Trek-related perks, FYI, so be aware of that.

10. Lukas Kendall

Yes, please tell me where this belongs, thanks!

The Trek-related perks are all donated to me as promotional items by the rightful owners, so I don't see how that would be a problem.

Lukas

11. tharpdevenport

I have edited out the link as per jespah. Let me know when the mulling is over. That is some long mulling! ;-)

It may not be a fan film, Lukas, but it's still a short and I would like to hope the staff of TrekBBS would be understanding ,considering what you have done for Star Trek.

12. Maurice

To be fair to Lukas, we've posted and discussed original works here many times, the past line having been small works made by fans. Polaris for one.

13. jespah

All looks good to me and sorry about the extended mulling. Mr. jespah and I barbecued today. :D

Probably okay then. Best of luck with your endeavor!

14. Maurice

I loved FSM and I have a number of CDs from it, so I obviously wish you well, Lukas. I also appreciate that you're making an effort to show that you're a get-er-done kinda bloke and not a "30 days out" Axahat.

That said, I wish the audio on the pitch had been better and that there'd been perhaps a bit more about the film project to really sell me on it. Everyone claims they have a great script, so I wish you'd mentioned in the video that you'd co-written an indie feature (albeit I see mention of Lucky Bastard in the text of the crowdfunding page) as I think that would have been important towards building confidence for some potential backers.

The "EVERY PICTURE OF A DIRECTOR, EVER" gag is cute but it actually makes me, personally, cringe, having worked a number of shoots with novice directors who got way in over their heads. Heck, I was one of them, as I totally overreached on my first short and blew it. You can't know what you don't know, so I hope you plan to have experienced crew who can help you avoid those pitfalls.

Also, speaking personally, Burnett's involvement—albeit in post—is a bit of a minus me. He was really rude and obnoxious throughout the Axanar debacle both before and after breaking ranks with Alec Peters. Others' milage may vary.

15. Lukas Kendall

Hi Maurice,

Thanks for your helpful feedback, I appreciate it. I didn't know how much Lucky Bastard would be a plus or a minus given the controversial nature of its subject matter.

As far as the script for our short, I do claim to have a great script, and fortunately have had a lot of positive feedback. You are welcome to read and judge for yourself, that's why we're sharing it on the campaign page: https://www.dropbox.com/s/4wjkd8n0nlsdc9o/Sky Fighter short film 5-6-18.pdf?dl=0

I appreciate very much your points about first-time directors. I am, in fact, assembling a very experienced crew for precisely the reason you suggest.

About Rob...he's a good friend. I understand the Axanar affair left a bad taste in many people's mouths. I will say one thing that I don't think anybody can argue: Rob is an EXCELLENT film editor.

Thanks again for your feedback, I really appreciate your taking the time!

Lukas

16. Maurice

Hi Lukas. I'm a big backer of people trying to make films. And I will definitely read the script!

Yeah, what you list as a credit can be a plus or minus depending on the backer, and you obviously can't please everyone, but in my book experience counts higher than intent, so I was pleased to see you had a screenwriting credit and that made the project look more solid to me.

As I'm sure you know, where a lot of small sci-fi films gets jammed up is in post-production. I seem to be forever trying to help people get unstuck when their VFX pipeline is too narrow and clogs. Oy.

Last edited: May 13, 2018
    Lukas Kendall likes this.
  17. tharpdevenport

I see the short is nearly 50% funded, but it's slowed down a noticeable amount.

And Lukas posted today a story about the TOS scores and how the box set came about on the IndieGoGo page. You'll have to hunt for it as linking to it would mean a no-no.

18. Maurice

@Lukas Kendall
    I read the script, and it's good. I did find it a tad one-note being essentially a Mexican stand-off with a mild twist, but if well executed it could be tense as hell. There was a bit of—to my ear—distractingly contemporary sounding dialog ("end you") , but I find that in a lot of scifi.

The execution is what will make it either good or great... but that's always the case. :D

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  19. tharpdevenport

Five days remaining and it's at 83%.

20. tharpdevenport