Spoilers SKRS #3: Long Shot by David Mack Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Kertrats47, Jul 24, 2015.

?

Rate Seekers #3: Long Shot

1. Outstanding

14 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Above Average

15 vote(s)
    44.1%
  3. Average

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  4. Below Average

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  5. Poor

1 vote(s)
    2.9%
  1. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Commodore Commodore

[​IMG]

After Second Nature and Point of Divergence last year, Seekers returns with book 3: Long Shot by David Mack! With it already having shown up in bookstores, I hope nobody minds that I'm posting the review thread.

Excited for this one! Love Mack's work, and love the Seekers concept.

Here's the blurb:

2. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm over halfway through, and it's a fun read! I really like how Seekers makes you feel like you're watching an episode of a show, it feels very serial, if that makes sense.

3. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...based on the usual iBook release schedule, I'll be reading mine in about 71 hours. :D

4. Mage

Man, that was great. I've said it before, and I'll it again, not a big fan of TOS era novels. Just not my favorite era. Vanguard was the exception, and although Seekers sounded very cool, I thought it could never be as good as Vanguard and make me excited about novels in the TOS era.

And yes, Seekers 2 was a bit of a letdown after the great first novel if this series, but right now, this new line of novels is a solid 2 out of 3. Fun, exciting, fast paced. Just a great read.

5. Klaus

Klaus Vice Admiral Admiral

...I loved it, fast-paced and very funny in places. I really like these characters, it's a very interesting and different dynamic.

And according to DM on Twitter, the Xanth reference was unintentional lol. :D

6. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

This series is quite enjoyable, more than I thought it would be. I'm not too keen on a string of disconnected adventures as a hook, but Seekers has made the most of it so far, and it's actually almost refreshing. It's like I'm reading extended SCE stories mixed with New Frontier wackiness and TOS-style strange new worlds that are really rather silly - but are presented with flare enough that I don't mind. I'm also enjoying the insights into under-explored species like the Kaferians and the Arkenites (and the multi-species crew of the Sagittarius is appealing in general). I see these as side adventures of a sort, but enjoyable ones.

7. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Still waiting for Amazon to ship my copy....

8. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Stopped by my local Barnes & Noble earlier to discover that they haven't put their copies out yet. Ugh.

--Sran

9. David Mack

David Mack Writer Commodore

THOSE BASTARDS!

10. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Indeed. I did manage to read the first thirty pages or so via the B&N online preview and loved the beginning.

The beginning of the novel reminds me a lot of The Final Frontier, with everyone off having fun on a beautiful planet. I loved the scene with Terrell practicing his drive, as well as the bit with Illuci and Threx--and of course Babitz would object to what they were doing. As soon as I realized she'd climbed through the hatch, I knew she'd be upset about UV exposure.

Also, I was sort of hoping Illuci's Risa fantasy would actually be about Katherine Stano, if only because she'd hit the roof if she found out about it.

11. John Clark

John Clark Commodore Commodore

Finished it at lunch time. Thought it was a cracking read and am definitely looking forward to more of the series.

12. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has anyone gotten their shipped copy?

13. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. Mine was a shipped copy.

14. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I got my copy of Long Shot I can't wait to read this book and find out what Captain Terrell and his crew have been up to since the lfirst 2 Seekers novels came out last yearl.:bolian:

15. Reanok

I've read 6 chapters of Long Shot and like the story so far. I liked seeing Captain Terrell and his crew having shore leave on a planet and enjoying relaxing and exploring a new world.:)

16. starri

starri Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm guess I'm spoiled by so many years of serialized, slowly unfolding stories that these episodic takes aren't really my thing any more. Doesn't mean that it still wasn't a great read, because I love these characters so much.

Particularly the antagonism between Theriault and Dastin.

I also laughed embarrassing loudly that the "#ThanksObama" joke.

17. Mage

I loved the last few years in TrekLit, with plots spreads over novels, and everything interconnecting. Or Vanguard, which really was just a show in itself. And I wasn't to sure about this new episodic aprouch.

And I'll admit, I do miss that. But the last few novels that were more stand-alone were pretty nice allright. And there are still interconnecting novels being made, so I guess I'm happy with this.

18. Reanok

I finished reading Long Shot and voted Outstanding. Another terrific novel by David Mack. I hope the books sell well enough so we'll get more Seekers books in the future!:techman::cool:

19. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Commodore Commodore

Just posted my review.

The authors are just going to have to lower their game. I'm getting tired of saying "my favorite Trek novel so far this year"!

20. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Moderator

:lol: Nice problem to have :techman: