Skipable TOS episodes?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by WinterSoldier, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Wasn't "Miri" the reason the other three got banned after its initial transmission here in the UK ? After the violence by the kids, the BBC reviwed the rest of the series, resulting in the four being banned for years.

I'm not sure tbh, but I remember "Miri" being missing from viewing order for a while on the BBC, after an initial airing, and as I've said, I've no idea why.
    The other three episodes were banned for many years, whether they were independently banned, or banned due to something they had in common with "Miri", I couldn't say.

johnnybear likes this.
  2. Methuselah Flint

Methuselah Flint Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I agree! When I got the 3-per tape UK re-release as a young teenager for my Easter present, I remember finding the episode very boring and seemed to go on forever. But now, as an adult, it is one of my favourites.

Phaser Two likes this.
  3. johnnybear

johnnybear Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My Trek memories were mainly from the early to mid seventies although I remember Court Martial on it's initial BBC transmission but I've never seen Miri ever on the BBC!!! I know they finally caved in and showed it and the other three sometime in the nineties but I was more into my videos of the series by that time anyway!
    JB

Phaser Two likes this.
  4. Delta Vega

Delta Vega Commodore Commodore

Some of the things the BBC deemed "unsuitable" back in the day, you really have to wonder what sort of dinosaurs ran the Corporation

johnnybear likes this.
  5. uniderth

uniderth Commodore Commodore

None of then are skippable. But the only one I'm ever really tempted to skip is "The Empath". That episode is chloroform on screen.

This is the correct answer. You can only skip watching them, once you have them memorized so perfectly that you can watch them in your mind.

KennyB and Marsden like this.
  6. Ryan Thomas Riddle

Ryan Thomas Riddle Vice Admiral Admiral

"The Alternative Factor" is completely skippable. "And the Children Shall Lead" is a close second.

7. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

For me it's patterns of force piece of the action the Apple and the children shall lead and Miri

8. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Your room at the Tantalus colony is ready for you. ;)

Herbert likes this.
  9. johnnybear

Miri is an episode that I've always liked along with The Alternative Factor and And The Children Shall Lead! The Empath can be a little unpalatable and Whom Gods Destroy can be a little dull! I, Mudd can be embarrassing to watch in company but only Plato's Stepchildren embarrasses when watching it alone!!! Could be worse viewing it with others though...:angryrazz:
    JB

Phaser Two likes this.
  10. johnnybear

Something has to be done while watching that one agreed! :vulcan:
    JB

11. Talos IV

Talos IV Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It's the only episode I've decided to change from skippable, to I'm-pretending-it-was-never-produced. A recent re-watch of it confirmed this for me. If there was a way to remove it from my Blu-ray disc, I probably would.

12. Herbert

Herbert Commodore Commodore

That's very funny. :guffaw:Well played

13. drt

drt Commodore Commodore

For what it's worth, I think he is supposed to be 40-something, which adds to his creepiness.

14. johnnybear

There is no reference to Doctor Sevrin being the same age as the others in the episode and it's pretty obvious that he's older! He's like their Guru and he has had more experience of the bad things in the Federation and they believe him, even if he is carrying a dangerous disease they know absolutely nothing about! :wtf:
    JB