SIZE OF THE INCREDIBLE HULK

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by HIjol, May 5, 2015.

1. HIjol

HIjol Vice Admiral Admiral

This Thread is started by indirect request. I hope it can stay up in the spirit in which it was intended.

It was felt in another Thread, that "someone" should Post Hulk dimensions in Science and Technology.
    Hulk canon, near as I can research, states his stature anywhere from 7'2" to around 9'. One reference mentions 15', but I believe that to be subjective, and an analysis of an early comic page, comparing Hulk to the background images. marveldatabase.com is referenced to state the above mentioned dimensions, with an additional "fact" of a waist size of 100"

If all this is true, is it possible to extrapolate other parts of Hulk's body? Arm and leg length/girth, neck size, foot size, or any other dimensions of body parts of interest?

2. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

If I recall, the Hulk's size is dependant on just how angry he is. The more rage, the bigger he gets.

3. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

He is whatever size is most convenient for the plot. In the movies he looks to be around 9 feet or so (when standing, more often than not he is hunched over). About half again taller than Banner and somewhat less than twice as tall as Black Widow. Sometimes a little more or less depending on the shot.

A quick browse of the internet came up with a size chart that states his "official" height in the MCU is 8'5".

Last edited: May 5, 2015
  4. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

Moved to Science Fiction & Fantasy. Sorry, guys. :p

5. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

/thread

6. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Surely the important question here is.....how, despite his immense growth, do his trousers stay on?

We need to address the elephant in the room (or is it a giant green penis)

7. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Is that a newer idea?

I know there have been very different versions of the Hulk...green, gray, bigger madder green, not to mention the more recent ones that are separate(?) versions altogether.

I also know the madder=stronger, but I don't remember madder=bigger.

8. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think that was the idea behind Ang Lee's Hulk.

9. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I think it was the Ultimate universe that said he grew bigger the angrier he got.

I don't remember other references but I was never a reader of the Hulk's solo comics.

10. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Ultimate is well after I stopped collecting. I was all in till the late 90's.

11. Forbin

Forbin Admiral Admiral

He must have an enormous schwanzstucker!

12. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

"He's gonna be very popular."

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Hulk was the most in love of his life, when he was subatomic in stature on Jarrella's World in the 1970s, but love doesn't make him bigger or stronger.

They called him a World Breaker for a while.

His foot steps cracked the/a planets crust in World War Hulk/Planet Hulk.

Theoretically that might mean that the angrier he gets, the denser he gets? Since I am scarce to believe that Hulk was stomping any harder than usual just because his strength multiplied tenfold... It was just a really weird story by Greg Pak.

Hank Pym proved the existence of Macroverses a while back. We all (should) know that you can "visit" the/a Microverse by "shrinking" with Pym Particles until you (I'm going to use some make believe science here) slide through manifold into a different universe, but the reverse is also true. You can get to a different universe by growing with Pym Particles. Of course Pym Particles change your density, creating more or less space between your molecules, which is the suggestion of massive compression or expansion of your personal matter into an irregular state of existence that takes on different, dare I say foreign properties which is why it seems that any one, or anything on Pym particles hard enough prefers to exist in a different universe, and suddenly does.... Where was I? This doesn't happen to the Hulk. He gains and loses mass from an extradimensional energy source, so Hulk is actually gaining matter or losing matter rather then his matter is being adjusted and jiggled to seem larger or smaller. He's actually probably gaining matter, while retaining the same dimensions. Which is just another way of saying that he is increasing in mass. Point is that if Hulk Grew from being over fed by his extradimensional energy source, he would not accidentaly travel to a Macrouniverse, which is not a question you had ever asked or wondered about, you're welcome.

The Living Monolith had to be literally "thrown" off Earth by Thor because he got two big after gorging himself on Cosmic Rays, and The Monolith eventually turned into a planet himself that floated away. Point is, if the weight of the planet alters significantly, first it frakks the weather, a little bigger and magnetism and radio goes screwy, and a little bigger and the planets orbit adjusts to a new equilibrium or falls into the sun... Which is why Thor grabbed the Monolith by the ankle and flung him at Jupiter.

THORRULZ!

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Big enough for Black Widow.

15. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm not touching this subject with a 10 foot pole… umm, 15 feet foot pole, 20 foot. Ok, never mind.

16. Guy Gardener

The Ultimate Hulk ate several people, and didn't get bigger. After the Ultimates Book stopped being mind blowingly awesome, they cloned the Hulk from Banner's dandruff, in an effort to make a less aggressive usable Hulk that would follow orders to level cities without the cannibalism (poor, dumb Freddie Prinz Jr.) but the end result of that program can only be described as "Poindexter Hulk". Imagine if Steve Urkle was cast as Hulk and his ####ing nose would not stop running with Hulk snot.

Clearly unreadable, but I did it anyway.

There was a point in the early nineties, where Wonderman needed rage to maintain his muscle mass. Without it he'd waste away to (female) fashion-model size, and I think Simon might have gotten a little bigger, but more deformed, irregularly inflated when he was super pissed, than anything you'd see happen with Pym particles.

Speaking of Pym Particles, Scott "Ant-Man" Lang's 15 year old superheroine daughter "Stature", her "resting" height is tied into her self-confidence (wow, I never thought about how sexist this is. But then it's maybe intended to be about an insecure teenager (which is a real issue) than making fun of for women being sensitive.) that I'm guessing her height wavers between 4 foot 11 and 5 foot 3, depending on how many of her facebook friends are being jerks at any given moment.

17. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

So with characters that grow and shrink and are obviously a lot heavier in their larger forms (i.e. Incredible Hulk, The Thing, Ant-Man, etc.), where does the extra mass come from, and where does it go?

Kor

18. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

"Extradimensional", i.e. "handwaved".

BTW, I keep thinking the title of this thread was the title of one of the 1980s TV movies.

19. Guy Gardener

I just finished reading a bunch of Hulks from the John Byrne era (1985y) where I thought the term Inter-dimensional in relation to his additional mass was coined. Nope. Not there. Could be anywhere, but a lot of other Nerds are vocal about the same memory, so it's in there somewhere, but goodness knows where.

What about in Time Travel situations, or clones, where there are multiple Banner/Hulks in play? Are they drawing from the same extra-dimensional source?

Is it a tiny pocket universe with just enough energy in it for Hulk to be a scary ######fucker, or is this place an entire full sized infinite Universe? In Voyager The Q and the Grey, the Q were using exploding suns in the Delta Quadrant as weapons (bullets.) against one another. Does the Hulks transformations have an equivalent environmental toll in his possibly inhabitated personal universe of undefined size whenever he extracts or injects mass into it?

The impressive (sexy?) curvature of Hulk's biceps might be measured in the endless megadeath of planet after planet after planet, thrown into a furnace that is his rage?

(Let's pray that the Hulks extra-dimensional energy source is uninhabitated.)

Although the Beyonder said that the Hulks strength was potentially infinite. Bad writing? To become infinitely strong, by a progression of finite steps, Hulk would have to be getting Angrier for infinite time, which is all the time in the universe till the end of the universe as well as including all the time in the universe from before he started getting angry. Although, the last of a species is cosmically imbued with Elder of the Universe Status, so theoretically Hulk can make it to the end of the Universe, if he can make it to the end of the Human Race. Is it "last of a species" or "last of all species on a planet"? Something has to kill all the insects too. And what about the humans off Earth that have injected their DNA into Aliens? It's not that easy to become an Elder of the Universe (And google is telling me that Elder status is not some automatic reward that just magically appears, there are other hoops to jump through, but #### google.), but I have faith in the Hulk to be the last dude standing, and therefore become further imbued with "the power primordial" and become literally immortal on a cosmic scale rather than just being really persistent at living... However, because of his fractured personality, Hulk/Banner is many people and therefore cannot be the last human being, because he alone is many human beings.

(I was trying to talk about time travel...)

If Banner turning into Hulk from 1990 draws energy out of another universe in 1990, maybe half the universe, and then he time travel's to 2050, taking all that 1990 energy with him, but then turns back into Banner in 2050, excreting all that 1990 energy back into the other universe circa 2050, could that mean if Banner travels back to 1990, is Banner 1990 from that point only going to only have half a universe to draw mass from now instead of a full universe because he misplaced the other half of the universe he draws mass from in 2050?

Also, rather than just drawing energy from that Universe, two Banner/Hulks from different eras, in confrontation, sourced from the same place, seething/riving in the same extra dimensional energy should be able to leech off each other directly rather than getting stuck in an inter dimensional interface like the three stooges getting stuck in a doorway. Point being is that the Hulk with the Strongest will, should be able to turn the other Hulk into a shrivelled green raisin, like when Parasite gets a good grip on Superman and sucks the life out of him, wait? It's not willpower it's anger. The angrier Hulk will draw energy faster, therfore starving the less angry Hulk.

Do Liv Tyler and Jennifer Connelly get along?

20. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretty sure the whole "other dimensional source" had it's origins in the Official Handbook to the Marvel Universe. It was the go to explanation for every size/mass changing character from Ant Man to The Vision.

They even used it to explain where Cyclops gets the energy for his optic blasts despite the fact that this had already been explained years before in the actual book--Cyke's blasts are solar powered.