Size of the Galaxy class.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Charles Markov, Nov 29, 2018.

1. Charles Markov

Charles Markov Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Ok so the Galaxy class starships are big. Really big. Freaking enormous in fact. But I have seen a large number of sources all of which cite vastly different sizes for the ship. Some as low as half a million tons. And others go as big as five, six, seven or even eight million tons. Both ends of these figures seem impossible to me.
    I wonder though, has anyone on this site, or does anyone know of someone who has done the math to figure out exactly how large the Galaxy class of starship is? And if so have they also found the sizes of other starships from the wide world of trek?

2. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

3. Jedi_Master

Jedi_Master Admiral Admiral

That is a FANTASTIC website. Thanks for sharing.

The Wormhole likes this.
  4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

The official sizes of the various Enterprises, from the latest Star Trek Encyclopedia:
    [​IMG]

DEWLine likes this.
  5. Charles Markov

Charles Markov Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yeah I have read that article. But it doesn't really cite any figure on the volume of space the ship displaces anywhere does it? I'm not really interested in the size of the vessel in terms of dimensions, length, width and height. But how much the ship actually displaces. RL naval vessels often are shown as displacing a certain amount, IJN Yamato for instance displaced over seventy thousand tons. I was just wondering if anyone had done the math to find how much the Enterprise D displaced, or would displace if she were real.

6. Timo

Timo Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, a starship by definition displaces zero tons, regardless of size.

That is, displacement is not the mass of the ship - it's the mass of the substance the ship shoves aside till it settles down deep enough not to sink. (If it does sink, the concept becomes meaningless. With submarines, it merely becomes complicated.) A starship displaces massless vacuum....

Or are we discussing the ship entering air or water? In the former, it would most probably sink, and there would be no displacement. In the latter, who knows? It's perfectly possible to build a shell the shape and size of the E-D and have it float. But we have little idea about how much warp coils weigh, say.

Except we sorta do. Scotty's ship was said to be "nearly a million gross tons", and a "gross ton" is a unit of mass more or less the same as the metric or imperial tons (and not to be confused with the gross register ton, which is a unit of volume). This means there's something superdense within the ship, to allow her to be that dense on the average. Might just as well be the warp coils. We get little quantitative data from that, but it certainly justifies the Tech Manual or fandom speculation on a Galaxy mass of a few million tons, give or take.

As for ship volumes, here's basically all you ever wanted to know, and then some:

http://www.st-v-sw.net/STSWvolumetrics.html

Timo Saloniemi