SimCity 5 on its way in 2013!

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Canadave, Feb 29, 2012.

1. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

First in-game look at SimCity (2013.)

LINK

2. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

Those look great!

I like how they went with a more stylized artistic approach over an attempt at super-realism like they did in SC4. I think it just fits the tone of the game better.

While it certainly wasn't as graphically as impressive, I actually think SC3 looked better than SC4.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I'm kind of mixed on the graphics as I prefer the more "realistic" tones and textures.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

This partially explains why the game requires a consistent internet connection. Essentially, the game is a multiplayer game because your city doesn't entirely exist in a vacuum isolated from other cities. These interactions do seem quite cool. On the other hand, a single player isolated city as an option isn't a bad idea overall, imo.

The biggest issue is a head start problem. Essentially, cities should be at the same level or it's not as fun. Additionally, there's the problem of what will happen after the game inevitably loses popularity. Aside from that, it still looks like it has potential for being very fun to play.

5. STR

STR Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Is there any Origin game that doesn't require an internet connection?

6. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm waiting for a solitaire game that needs an always on connection. They need to hurry and get everything running from the cloud so they won't need that anymore.

7. Kronos

Kronos Admiral Admiral

When I think about the types of people I've played online games with in the past..I really do not want my city to be next to theirs :wtf:

8. Alidar Jarok

Yeah, that's my biggest fear (along with the idea of a dead game). It's an interesting idea, but it should only be an option.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Offline Single Player or they won't see my money. It's that simple.

10. Alidar Jarok

Two articles about the game.

SimCity: Digestible Complexity - essentially a puff piece that talks about all the different systems and how the UI makes them manageable. It seems that the heart of the game remains about how it's always been.

Multiplayer: Competition and Experimentation

This one is probably worth a read if, like me, you're worried about the consequences of other people screwing up your city.