Silver model mystery SOLVED!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by F. King Daniel, May 26, 2018.

1. Captain Clark

Captain Clark Ensign Red Shirt

Didn't they mention this is What we Left Behind?

2. C57D

C57D Guest

So, the boss's son poorly builds a plastic kit and it becomes canon. But all the amazing, creative, (at the time) Paramount licensed novels and guides are so soundly not?
    Just goes to show how half-arsed, canon is !
    Imho, ymmv & snafu etc.......

3. Nakita Akita

Nakita Akita Commodore Commodore

I'm not trying to imply that you guys are nerds or anything.:whistle:

4. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Don't yell at us. We're not the ones who dictate what's canon or not.

5. Bollie74

Bollie74 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

A constitution would have more sense, wasn’t their mission deep space exploration? It never seemed liked there would be enough room in Constellation class for the crew, labs, etc. especially since they had to have enough shuttles to evacuate the crew...

6. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

In Star Trek, a ship's mission rarely has anything to do with the design of the ship.

Nakita Akita likes this.
  7. C57D

C57D Guest

No, but "it's not seen in screen, so it's not canon" is frequently used to shut down creative brainstorming on this forum.
    I am just pointing out that a poxy, badly made plastic kit that the boss's son probably made in half an hour, by that criteria, carries more weight that all the well writen imaginative ST novels every created.
    A bit pathetic and ironic don't you think?

8. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Not really. That excuse only tends to be used when someone tries to use a non-canon source as 'proof' to justify something, because they mistakenly think the source is canon. Case in point: Lots of people think that the Star Trek: Picard Countdown comic is canon, but it isn't.

I think you're overblowing this a bit. It's just background set dressing with very little thought put into it. I'm not sure why its 'canonicity' in terms of just the fact that it was shown on screen has to equate in any way with novels.

Orphalesion likes this.
  9. Nakita Akita

I'm going to write this into my Fan-fic.
    My character is going to notice this, take the model away and fix it, then bring it back!:klingon:

10. C57D

C57D Guest

No, you can't do that because what is on screen is all that counts. Your repairing actions, in a fanfic, would still not be canon.
    All that would do is create another debate on here between what is in "holy", precious, onscreen canon and everything else.
    There is already enough heresy as it is!

Nakita Akita likes this.
  11. Nakita Akita

Sorry, I'm going to do it.
    I have to!:weep:
    I am compelled to:(
    It's happening after the show was filmed. Shortly after, I'll even list the star date if I have to. :mad:
    I'm doing it and nobody can stop me!!!:angryrazz:

C57D likes this.
  12. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

In story, maybe a crewmember's kid made it and presented it to Picard on "Captain Picard Day". Doesn't mean it's supposed to be an actual canonical Starfleet ship.

Orphalesion and Nakita Akita like this.
  13. Leviathan

Leviathan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Starfleet experimented with putting the nacelles on this way in order...to...ummm...fly sideways more. Yes. that's it.

F. King Daniel and Nakita Akita like this.