Should the new Trek series depict radically different dietary habits?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Kor, Dec 11, 2015.

1. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Especially with such radically varying and completely incompatible ideas on what constitutes "healthy" food. Macrobiotic? Paleo? Low-fat? Ketogenic? Alkaline diet?

Never the twain shall meet.

Kor

2. Jackson_Roykirk

Jackson_Roykirk Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

People 200 or 300 years in the future would probably still want meat and meat products, but I can imagine a future where the muscle, fat, and connective tissues that form a piece of raw beef are grown in a factory rather than being grown as part a living bovine.

So even if we see Captain Lorca and Lt. Cmdr. Rainsford enjoying a nice filet Mignon, that doesn't mean a bull died in order to feed them.

...Oh -- and the asparagus on the side will be genetically modified in order to not make their pee smell odd.

Mr. Laser Beam likes this.
  3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Whilst I think some kind of meat eating will continue, the idea of killing something to eat it will be viewed as barbarism in the future. You only have to view how attitudes to animal rights have already changed, and then compare it to similar changes in attitudes to race and colour, homosexuality, transgender and disabilities.

Animal rights may be lagging behind, and they will probably never attain the same status as humans (possible exceptions being the great apes) but things are changing.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Then cows had better start hoping that their dairy products are still seen as valid, because otherwise the species is history. Cows exist entirely to feed us (you never see them in the wild, do you? :lol: ), and if they can no longer do so, then they will disappear.

5. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well... there are wild bovine species in certain areas of the world.

Kor

6. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Besides, we would no doubt keep breeding herds of the various species of cow as a conservation measure in just the same way as we would conserve wild species.

7. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

EAT MOR REPLIKATED CHIKN

8. cultcross

cultcross Postponed for the snooker Moderator

I would hope by the 23rd century, we will have ceased to treat species entirely by their value to us as a commodity.

Except for wasps. Fuck those guys. Ain't nobody ever doing a time warp to rescue two wasps.

Mr. Laser Beam and { Emilia } like this.
  9. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

I can see the huge wasp probe pulling into orbit to REALLY fuck up your picnic.

Zzzz zz Zzzz zz Zzzz....

Kirk turning up with a jam jar containing a breeding pair...

Epic !

10. Captain Indecisive

Captain Indecisive Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't see what any of that has to do with what I posted about?

11. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think i remember a non-canon novel where the Titan's carnivores and vegetarians has informally established exclusive periods in the mess hall where they could eat with just their groups and not gross the other guys out.

I imagine in the future there will still be small-scale boutique farming of live animals for consumption as a cultural tradition, just as Picard's family grew grapes for traditional wine making. Maybe there are small enclaves of cowboys, fishermen, or even seal hunters on Earth.