Should the Discovery crew still wear Starfleet uniforms next year?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Jayson1, Apr 21, 2019.

1. SJGardner

SJGardner Commodore Commodore

What I'd really like to see is something like the first drafts and concept arts for Deep Space Nine were, a millennia-old patchwork space station cobbled together from the contributions of who knows how many species throughout its history. Also mostly held together with duct tape and the spirit of Miles O'Brien.

2. Attentiveluke

Attentiveluke Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I’d like to see them dress in the clothes Kirk and co wear on Star Trek IV...

Longinus and seigezunt like this.
  3. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not wading through five pages of this thread to see if this has already been said, but I say, ditch the uniforms and have everyone go around wearing Disco t-shirts.

Kemaiku, SJGardner and SpocksOddSocks like this.
  4. SpocksOddSocks

SpocksOddSocks Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And nothing else... :devil:

SJGardner likes this.
  5. Soong-type Android

Soong-type Android Captain Captain

I hate the Discovery uniforms so I wouldn't miss them. But due to how recognisable and iconic the Starfleet delta is I imagine the producers would want the characters to keep wearing it in some fashion to show it is still a Star Trek series.

SpocksOddSocks likes this.
  6. SJGardner

"Ensign, I know we had to call all hands to battle stations in a hurry two hours before your shift starts but couldn't you have at least put some pants on?"

Kemaiku likes this.
  7. valkyrie013

valkyrie013 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tilly in Yoga pants? Yes please! :vulcan:

8. SJGardner

To be fair, Tilly seems like someone I could best imagine shambling onto the bridge wearing mismatched pyjamas (with a faded pic of Merida the Brave on her shirt) and fluffy slippers because she didn't feel like dressing up that day.

Kemaiku likes this.
  9. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If the new Captain is like Janeway, then they'll wear Starfleet uniforms. If not, then no.

10. Shamrock Holmes

Shamrock Holmes Commodore Commodore

There's also the question of whether the V'draysh already exist during the period they end up in. If they do, and they are the 'bad guys' that Calypso implies they are, the DSC crew might want to ditch the uniforms to reduce the risk of confusion.

11. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

I could totally see Saru having incredible silk pajamas covered in all sorts of Kelpian designs. The rest in dressing gowns with the Starfleet insignia just lazily sewn in.

(And it's Merida DunBroch, she does have a surname)

SJGardner likes this.
  12. SJGardner

My serious answer is I'm suspecting it's Saru and he will probably insist on it. I'm guessing he'll give a speech along the lines of "if we're the only thing that's left of Starfleet, then it's all the more reason to keep Starfleet alive."

Damn, I can even imagine some storyline significance for it... some characters might become more lax in their adherence to protocol, their uniforms becoming more and more casual and shabby, maintained less and less as they're slowly all beginning to have crises of faith and identity, with only Saru and probably Burnham clinging staunchly to a perfect look by the end. But as they're finding their place in this weird and dangerous new place, going around discovering new wonders and helping out people, they're gradually rediscovering what Starfleet truly means and they all begin to take pride in wearing their blues again.

This would make a nice pitch for an episode... one of the alien species they encounter attacks the Discovery, believing them to be a V'draysh ship. They haven't encountered the V'draysh before, only hearing rumors that traders brought back with themselves from the unknown reaches towards the Alpha Quadrant, about a rapidly expanding new threat. The situation would be defused by the end, making new friends with the aliens, and Saru would ask their captain why they confused them for the V'draysh... and then the captain would present him with a V'draysh communicator one of the traders brough back with him... a 32nd century Starfleet arrowhead combadge.

Last edited: Apr 23, 2019
  13. Yistaan

Yistaan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe the Federation will be the new villains in Season 3? Led by a corrupt Ash Tyler who led a Section 31 takeover of the Federation?

14. seigezunt

seigezunt Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]

Longinus and SJGardner like this.
  15. SJGardner

Holy hell, imagine Saru wearing that :guffaw:

seigezunt and Kemaiku like this.
  16. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Come on! If you wade through all five pages and give a detailed review of ever post made within those five pages I promise to like every thread you make for the rest of the year. Imagine the cache of seeing your like totals expand rapidly in away it rarely does for most people.:)

Jason

17. Lokiberry

Lokiberry Ensign Red Shirt

Of course they'll wear the same uniforms. The situation they're in will make them want to cling to the things that are familiar.

18. SJGardner

That's the most probable outcome, especially if Saru remains in the captain's chair. I'd still like it however if the show did something more with the uniforms. Being symbols of the things they've lost, the show could use the state of each character's uniform as a convenient shorthand to reflect how hopeful/disillusioned they are, with the main characters putting less and less emphasis on proper protocol as they are starting to have doubts and crises of faith and begin questioning whether the word "Starfleet" still means anything for them. And, as I've said earlier, it could be all the more cathartic when they all find their places and new niches in the future and start wearing the uniforms proudly again as they rediscover what it means to serve in Starfieet.

19. Kor

Kor Fleet Admiral Admiral

No. They should dress like intergalactic pirates.

Kor

20. SJGardner

If Lorca's tribble is still around somewhere, pirate captain Saru could use it as his parrot.

seigezunt, Kemaiku and Kor like this.