Should it have been a straight reboot?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Ssosmcin, Sep 7, 2009.

1. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

While these days the main focus is on a do-or-die, huge opening weekend, TMP was more of a "sleeper" hit. It ran in some cinemas for over six to eight months - and I seem to remember a short piece in "Starlog" whereby Paramount execs expressed surprise that TMP had actually made a profit after all, despite its over-inflated budget and Paramount's creative accounting to write-off its "Phase II" development money.

2. urbandk

urbandk Commodore Commodore

I think it should have been a gay reboot.

3. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Not in the US. Of the 55 or 56 mil it made in domestic rentals (not gross, rentals), 39 of that came in 1979 between 12/7 and 12/31. The 'biggest opening ever' was something like 950 or 1000 screens here.

Domestically, the film was playing to empty theaters everywhere in January, but the theaters had to carry the film (i think it was something like a 12 week or longer guarantee, but most places flaked on it.)

4. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

A Rebooty

5. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

It will be great in 2029, or 2039, when the next reboot of Trek happens. We'll have people saying 'Blasphemy! It won't be a patch on Abrams vision' and 'Whoever this new Kirk is, he ain't no Chris Pine!'

Someone will say 'Well, you know, there was this earlier version of Trek' and get nothing but blank stares.

Trekkies are eternal. We'll have people fighting over who is the definitive Kirk, three, four, reboots down the track; and hundreds of years from now.

6. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if you ask me, I prefer Pierce-Brosnan-Kirk but I'm leaning towards Daniel-Craig-Kirk.

7. Therin of Andor

Well, I seem to remember it was many, many months before Paramount was declaring it a profitable movie.

8. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

A Schumacher Trek

9. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

That probably had more to do with their reluctance to pay net profit percentages ... didn't the principals get together to do an audit of the first few pics before TVH or SFS, and then right before the accountants went to work, par announced, 'hey these things are in profit.'

I mean, on the 2.5 to 3 multiplier rule for rental-to-gross (which is a lot like the 2.5 budget to returns profitability rule), that would have tmp at 100 to 117 mil domestic gross after 23 days, which would have put it close to breakeven before international sales or anything in 1980. Of course you've got TMP's budget all over the place between 35 mil and 46, but even so, the early return was good, especially given the bad word of mouth and general reviews.

The rental numbers are straight from Variety by the way. A friend of mine at the time subscribed to THR and VAR and tracked all this stuff for me.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Syndicated on Bravo

11. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Queer Eye for the Wormhole Guy

12. Therin of Andor

In order to make sure everyone signed for ST V, William Shatner fought for hefty contractual pensions for De Kelley and "the gang of four". They'd really been left behind in comparison with movie contracts of the day.

And they were also rather pleased to get it into the Guiness Book of Records, ousting "Cleopatra" as most expensive film.

13. darkshadow0001

darkshadow0001 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I dunno, I think it worked out ok. Because it would of screwed with everyone's heads if this wasn't in an alternate timeline. I know I was confused with it before I found out it was an alternate timeline, because the story didn't coincide with TOS. So it actually worked out pretty well.

14. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

The difference there is the New Galactica is a remake as opposed to a reboot, which is what Star Trek XI was.

15. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

I like it just the way it is. Trek got rebooted, yet "Enterprise" remained a legitimate prequel to both Abramsverse and the old school.

16. Mr. Laser Beam

I view those terms as the same.

Although, going by your definition, ST XI would have been just fine as a remake.

17. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

But they're not the same. If they were, Leonard Nimoy would not have been in the new movie talking about the past, and how it was changed. That's what makes it a reboot.

Galactica, on the other hand, told more or less the same story as the first show, but used different variations of characters and settings. That's what makes it a remake.

But I agree with you on Star Trek. It should have been a straight remake. As it is, the movie made Spock look stupid. Everytime on TOS there was a potential change in the timeline, Spock was the one who said "History must not be changed". But in XI, when the changes included the death of his mother 60 years before she died originally, and the death of his homeworld presumeably eons before that was supposed to happen, he just accepts it. Makes no sense to me, but there it is.

18. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I.... don't think I understand what you are trying to imply here. The Batman series and the Batman movies aren't even in the same sphere as the entirety of the Star Trek universe. :wtf:

19. Mach5

Mach5 Admiral Admiral

Exactly. The Batman franchise consists of comics, the 60's TV show, god knows how many animated shows, four movies seemingly set in the same continuity (though I doubt Tim Burton seriously considers Joel Schumacher's films to be sequels to his movies, I most certainly don't), and Chris Nolan's movies. All of these are separate, independent entities/universes. Star Trek only has one universe (well, actually it's a multiverse, but you get my point).

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Maybe Spock Prime realized what I have always suspected: History won't be changed, since he and Nero emerged into the past of a different universe (thanks to the black hole). It wasn't just time travel, it was inter-universal travel as well. It would certainly explain why the Prime universe can continue to exist - since Spock and Nero didn't travel to its past.