Spoilers Shazam! (AKA Captain Marvel) - Fury of the Gods: Review and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by thribs, Mar 17, 2023.

?

Rating

1. A*

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  2. A

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  3. A-

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  4. B+

8 vote(s)
    38.1%
  5. B

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. B-

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  7. C

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  9. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

So, is Shazam going to be a Deadpool-ish somehow ported into the new universe situation ?

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

With the current box office numbers, I'm going to say probably not. The first movie apparently under performed, and with a second movie that (at this point) is probably going to outright flop, it doesn't seem like something they'd bother to keep around for a third entry. Especially since they seem to have so many new projects they want to get made, unless Shazam 2 makes a literally miraculous turn around I don't see why they'd bother to keep this particular version of the characters around, and I say that as someone who likes the first Shazam, thinks that Black Adam was legitimately good and will probably like Shazam 2.

Relayer1 likes this.
  3. Timofnine

Timofnine Saintly henchman of Santa Premium Member

I went to the cinema with my friends to watch this film yesterday. I think that this is the first film that I know of where the day is saved by a product placement?

“Taste the Rainbow….” :shrug:

6/10

Guy Gardener likes this.
  4. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Have you seen the box office numbers?

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

To be honest, no.

I just took it from this thread that they weren't great.

6. Dee1891

Dee1891 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Why is it that the Daughters of Atlas reminds me of the Fates from Season 5 of "Legends of Tomorrow"?

7. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I watched it yesterday and I really enjoyed it. I love how silly it was willing to be (and not just instances like the Skittles Moment) and didn't take itself too seriously, much like the first film. I especially enjoyed watching Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu just chewing up the scenery and I loved the meta moments like the "Captain Marvel" name check and mocking the Wonder Woman 1984 setup. There were only a few instances were I thought the awkward humor was too out of place or went too far (most notably the spider in the mouth moment and the horrible music intro for Wonder Woman).

But most importantly, I loved how the film didn't forget that these are kids inhabiting superpowers. They're still young and make poor decisions based on hormones, inexperience, and dreams beyond comprehension, regardless of whether they're in their human form or the Shazam form. Much like the first film, the focus is squarely on Billy and Freddy and their relationship with each other and the world, and that remains the core and heart of the film.

That said, if there is a third film (which, unfortunately, seems unlikely considering the regime change and poor opening box office take), I would love to see more focus on the three younger siblings.

Although...if there's no sequel, that would make the post-credits scene all the funnier.

1001001 likes this.
  8. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I love the idea of Shazam and Peacemaker getting together…

:lol:

9. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

Problem with Billy in future movies is that he isn’t a kid anymore and so the main appeal of the character is gone.

10. Rich Watson

Rich Watson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Coming to streaming April 17. Seems very quick.

11. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

This movies pretty much DOA. WB wants that streaming money now to recoup losses.

TREK_GOD_1 likes this.
  12. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, it'll be the classic old style "Two weeks and done..." theatre release.

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

A lot of movies are going to streaming pretty quick. I think Strange World was on Disney+ pretty quickly too.

Saw it this morning, and I enjoyed it. Nothing totally amazing, but it was pretty fun.
    Getting to see the all the kids doing the superhero thing was fun. This was definitely Billy and Freddy's story, but they still managed to give the others a decent amount of attention.
    All three of the Daughters of Atlas were pretty cool. Of course you can't go wrong casting Helen Mirren and Lucy Liu, and Rachel Zegler held her own with them pretty well.
    Wonder Woman is one of my favorite DC characters, and Gal Gadot's version is one of my favorites, so I really enjoyed her role here.
    A lot of the jokes and humor worked pretty well.
    One thing my mom said, which I agree with is that all of the Skittles stuff is one of the most shameless examples of product placement since the Reese's Pieces in ET, but the way they came into play with the Unicorns was pretty good.
    One thing my mom and I noticed was the "no animals were harmed"/American Humane credit, but neither of us remembered seeing any live animals in it.
    I am a little disappointed we probably won't get any follow up on the mid and post-credits scenes.
    I gave it an A in the poll.

Timofnine likes this.
  14. The Nth Doctor

I don't think the unicorns were entirely CGI considering our heroes rode around on them.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That was my first thought, I know they do use real horses for stuff like that sometimes

16. thribs

thribs Vice Admiral Admiral

The unicorn scene didn’t add much. I would have had Wonder Woman help them out there instead. Having her fight Greek monsters would have been fitting.

17. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

What about a Prequel where Captain Marvel Junior and Jim Gordon live together in Kurt's pool house?

18. The Nth Doctor

Hard disagree. The unicorn scene was one of my favorite moments of the entire film.

19. Starscream2112

Starscream2112 Captain Captain

I was debating on seeing it in the theaters or not. This just made up my mind for me. Will wait to buy it on itunes.

20. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

So another DC sequel falls flat in the tradition of Wonder Woman: 1984--the biggest difference is that Wonder Woman was a great film all around, making its sequel a far more disappointing affair.

Judging from the general reaction to Shazam 2, it would appear few ever want to see this approach to the character again.