Shameless Whoring: Ward & Dilmore @ ST: The Experience!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Dayton Ward, Feb 29, 2008.

1. Species7582

Species7582 TrekBBS Lurker Premium Member

Just got back from Las Vegas - not fun with a standby ticket and getting bumped 3 times :( but it was worth it :).

It was great meeting Dayton, Kevin and Amy (bonus signee!!!) and thank you again for signing all the books and sorry again for leaving immediately.

PS. Did the rides survive you three?

PPS. Flew back with Ron Jeremy when I did managed to get a flight :cardie:.

2. Kevin Dilmore

Kevin Dilmore Captain Captain

^Holy crap - you got bumped three times??

But I'm flattered beyond my ability to express myself that you made such an effort to come see the likes of us. For the record, our new Species friend showed up with a duffel bag carrying every single title in which our work has appeared—each S.C.E. compilation, each anthology, each novel, each Strange New Worlds volume, Dayton's solo novels ... everything. Did we sign each book? Yup.

And yes, to our complete surprise and delight, we were joined at the table by the talented and spectacular Amy Sisson, who called in a mess of her husband's frequent-flyer miles (and probably a big favor or two) to join us on Saturday afternoon. We had more visitors to our signing table than we ever expected, and we made a whole mess of new friends.

The rides did continue operating after we were done with them. Amy took in both halves of the Experience on her own (and she screamed like a school girl when she was "assimilated" during Borg Invasion 4-D) while Dayton, Michi (the ever-patient Mrs. Ward) and I did only the Borg side this time around (we tried doing the motion-simulator but declined an hour-long wait for the next run). And then there was food. And drinks. And a concert for two of us. And walking. And lots of M&Ms. And water shows. And drinks. And butterfly gardens. And kick-ass gelato/sorbet. And pain-in-the-ass drinks. And drinks. And then sleep. (And a story that even Amy doesn't know about yet that I will relay offline—but you will be shocked and amazed, my friend.)

For those of you brave enough to share our day in Vegas, we thank you. For those of you unable to join us, better luck next time.

Kevin

3. Kevin Dilmore

Kevin Dilmore Captain Captain

Wow. Now that's a story.

Did you ask him to sign anything from your duffel bag?

Kevin

4. Smiley

Smiley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Without getting into all of the details, I was involved in an incident that ended up in the total loss of my car 60 miles west of Needles, CA. Nobody was hurt, but we were unable to make it to Vegas that day. I hope to see you guys on a future date.

5. Amy Sisson

Amy Sisson Writer Captain

Glad you are OK, Smiley, but sorry for the trouble you had!

Yo, Kevin -- no, you're the one who screamed like a schoolgirl during the Borg invasion. I screamed in a very dignified manner.

Yes, the husband is already making a wishlist of demands for letting me use his frequent flier miles for an unscheduled jaunt to Vegas. He really is the coolest husband in the world. (Of course, since I'd never been to Star Trek: The Experience, and he went once without me a few years ago, I had some guilt factor points I was able to use.)

Dang, that was fun.

6. Dayton Ward

Dayton Ward Word Pusher Rear Admiral

Sorry to hear about your troubles, Smiley, but I'm certainly glad to hear everyone involved is okay.

It was great to see you there, Amy, an unexpected yet truly pleasant surprise. The signing went off better than I expected, and Species 7582 gets the prize for "Iron Fan" of the day!

Regardless of what happens with the Experience, I'm jazzed I finally got to do a booksigning at such a cool location. Bookstores and cons are one thing, but Trekkie Mecca is something else entirely :)

7. Captain Robert April

Captain Robert April Vice Admiral Admiral

Now that ya mention it, there is a resemblence.

Remind me to bring my copy of "Back to the Batcave" to the next Starfest...

:D