SF/F TV development news - 2017

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

2. Enterprise is Great

‘The Age Of Miracles’ Series Adaptation From Shawn Levy In Works At AMC

3. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

That genuinely sounds interesting, however reading the book reviews it appears the source text is more a coming-of-age drama than an SF Apocalypse Now drama/thriller.

I wonder which way the producers will go - keeping it soft SF, more of a backdrop, or escalate and widen the story to take in the science/reality of such a disaster.

Still, interesting premise, but no doubt they will age up the 11-year old main character to allow for more audience cross-over

Hugo - better than nothing, or better nothing at all?

4. Enterprise is Great

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Pretty much all of these shows from the last few posts have at least some potential.

6. Enterprise is Great

7. Enterprise is Great

FX artificial intelligence comedy Singularity

8. Hugo Rune

Hugo Rune Vice Admiral Admiral

Who knew RAMA could be a showrunner in between the supersets!?!

9. Enterprise is Great

10. Enterprise is Great

Pop network series in development:
    http://deadline.com/2017/04/pop-upf...dicks-clique-new-series-er-reruns-1202068880/

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Two Princes almost sounds a but like Enchanted in reverse, could be fun, and I'm always up for a good monster hunter show.

12. Enterprise is Great

King Kong: Skull Island tv series in the works

The Hollywood Reporter

Kai "the spy" likes this.
  13. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Hmmm, wonder how that effects the Kong/Godzilla/Kaiju franchise they were building around Godzilla '14 and Skull Island?

14. kitik

kitik Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps the tv show will be limited to Skull Island, while the movies will feature Godzilla and eventually Kong stomping around the rest of the planet.

I just saw some more casting news for the Godzilla sequel today, so that's definitely still happening, and with how much money KSI made, I'm sure they're still planning on going ahead with the Godzilla/Kong combo movie. That's going to be a big-time money-maker.

15. Kai "the spy"

Kai "the spy" Admiral Admiral

I doubt it'll affect the Legendary Monsterverse that much. This proposed TV show is apparently based on Joe DeVito's expanded history of Skull Island which in turn is based on the original movie from 1933. It's like with Kong-comics, there's currently the monsterverse miniseries "Skull Island: Birth of Kong" from Legendary Comics, but there's also the ongoing "Kong of Skull Island" series from Boom Studios, which is also based on DeVito's work. So, expect this TV show to star a smaller Kong (as he does not have to fight Godzilla) and a Skull Island populated by dinosaurs.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

So Kong of Skull Island is in a different universe than the Monsterverse then, I was wondering about that.
    Even if it isn't part of the Monsterverse I still think there's a lot of potential in a series set on Skull Island. I wonder if it'll use any of the movies as part of it's backstory or if it'll be it's own completely separate thing?

17. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

The fact that it's based on the original movie certainly intrigues me. But I wonder how they will handle Son of Kong. I'm not familiar with Joe DeVito or his expanded history.

18. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

Being a TV show, it will be funny to see how they do it with not having probably 1/100th the budget for effects. Maybe it will be based on the 1933 movie as an excuse to bring back a puppet as King Kong :lol:

19. Evil Robert

Evil Robert Admiral Admiral

The 2001-2002 I found was a little more of the former but it did have promise. I do think a lot of the limitations was is being a show on basic cable in 2001 (more police procedural and less fantastical elements due to budgetry and CGI constraints).

Granted the show was ruined by Yancy Butler being a drug addict and drop dead drunk, because otherwise it got rather good ratings and reviews. I think enough time as passed to try again and it would be nice to try for a reboot with a more reliable lead.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

A TV series that replicates the look and feel of the original movie? Works for me.