sf/f TV development news - 2013

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Temis the Vorta, Oct 10, 2011.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Well, there is a meth related subplot in Under the Dome.

2. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

3. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Roger Sterling's ex-trophy wife is cast as lead on Tomorrow People.

"The" female member, the rest are all guys? Odd for a CW series. Anyway here's hoping it turns out better than Heroes.

4. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Re: sf/f TV development news - 2012

Whatever happened to the Robert H. Wolfe project for Syfy?

Robert H. Wolfe -- Executive Producer/Writer After decades of war, the newly formed Unity Democracy orders a volatile mix of humans and trans-humans to lead the Starship Defender on an expedition in search of lost worlds requiring law and order.

I see no signs of it anywhere.

RAMA

5. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^It's still in development, as far as I know.

6. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Not a good sign, I lost track of this too...

..but I can easily find information on it and it says it's being shot. Defender was announced atthe same time and it disappeared.

7. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I hope it hasn't died. Defender is the project that I am most looking forward to.

8. Temis the Vorta

Some interesting casting tidbits.

Pouty hot guy cast in Delirium (that's the one where luuuuuv is illegal, angst angst).

Tricia Helfer joins the Texas Rangers.

The nagging jealous boyfriend from Smash (which I'm sure you all watched) is cast as the Fox Mulder of Gothica, one of the shows about Dracula, Frankenstein, et al in development. He's named Harker, wink wink. Now they need to cast his sexy but skeptical colleague, Abigail Van Helsing.

9. Temis the Vorta

Orlando Jones joins Sleepy Hollow.

They should have cast Jones as the lead, who says Ichabod Crane needs to be a white guy? And Jones certainly has the gangly look associated with the role...

10. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Nicole Beharie Lands Female Lead In Fox’s ‘Sleepy Hollow’

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/foxs-sleepy-hollow-nabs-orlando-422867

Robbie Amell Lands Lead in CW's The Tomorrow People

Last edited: Feb 21, 2013
  11. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

Did we have that information before? Him being a time traveler makes it a lot more interesting, although I don't like the idea of him being a captain in the Revolutionary War.

12. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

She's got a wicked fastball.

13. Temis the Vorta

That's news to me, I figured he'd be a modern-day character with no real connection to the historical character (or his great great great great grandson). I'm impressed that they cast a black woman as the female lead, and another black actor in a major role. Usually there's only one black character: the best friend/foil.

I do like the time travel angle (or did he just go back to sleep?) Anything that makes this less vanilla is fine by me. I'll put this pilot alongside S.H.I.E.L.D. and JJ Abrams' robot cop show in the list of ones I'm rooting for to go to series.

14. Christopher

The time-travel angle is a bit surprising; I was expecting an updated, modern Ichabod Crane, Sherlock/Elementary-style. It's been a while since we had a "person from the past transported to the present" series. There was a supporting character like that in Primeval a couple of years ago. Some of the cast of The 4400 was from decades in the past, but the show never really delved that deeply into that aspect of its premise. There was a supporting character from the past in Primeval a couple of seasons ago. And in the other direction, we've got Continuum with a lead character from the future. But the last show I can think of where the lead character or characters time-travelled from the past into the present (not counting shows about immortals like New Amsterdam, Highlander, and vampire shows) was the Rod Taylor series Outlaws from 1986.

Oh, there are certainly exceptions to that these days. Eureka had Salli Richardson, Joe Morton, and Tembi Locke. White Collar has Marsha Thomason and Sharif Atkins as regulars (Atkins was only bumped up to regular billing this season, but was a regular in all but name for years before then) and Diahann Carroll in a recurring role. And so on. I see a lot of shows today with nicely diverse casting, though there are still exceptions.

Wrong Washington Irving character. That's Rip Van Winkle.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I heard about the time travel aspect of Sleepy Hollow earlier today. I must admit that has made me a lot more interested in this than I had been before.

16. Christopher

I've realized there are actually several current shows with African-American (or Afro-Canadian) female leads. The groundbreaker, premiering last year, was Scandal, starring Kerry Washington as the lead character. It's been followed this season by Deception, with Meagan Good as the central character, and the just-premiered Cult, with Jessica Lucas as the co-lead along with a white male lead.

There are also at least two current shows with Asian-American female leads: Beauty and the Beast, with Kristin Kreuk as the lead character (and actually playing a half-Asian character this time, unlike on Smallville where she "passed" as Caucasian), and Elementary, with Lucy Liu as the second lead.

17. Temis the Vorta

Overall, American TV is still very white. Reading Deadline on a regular basis and noticing the casting choices for pilot season makes that clear. Of course, you can always cherry pick exceptions.

But I'll bet minorities other than blacks are the ones that are really underrepresented, since they don't even benefit from the "token best friend" phenomenon.

EDIT, I googled "racial diversity on TV" just for kicks and found a lot of squawking about it...like this.

That's why a show with two major black characters really stood out for me - the usual pattern is to be content with one major nonwhite character.

And NBC being the standout of diversity is a mixed bag because that network is really imploding in the ratings now, while llywhite CBS is still doing the best.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013
  18. Christopher

I'm not "cherry-picking," and I don't understand why you'd feel it necessary to use such an unkind characterization. I'm just pointing out that it's not unprecedented. Obviously there's still a long way to go, but there is evidence of progress.

As far as other ethnic groups go, I'm seeing an upswing in the representation of South Asians on TV. Sendhil Ramamurthy is staying steadily employed. Last week's Arrow episode guest-starred both Janina Gavankar (as the lead character's current romantic interest) and Rekha Sharma (as a fence), neither of whom was playing a character who was specifically written as Indian. The same episode's cast included two African-American actors (regular David Ramsey and recurring player Christie Laing), two Asian actors (Chin Han and Kelly Hu), and a part-Maori actor (Manu Bennett). More generally, the show's recurring cast includes Colin Salmon as the protagonist's stepfather. I've really been quite pleased with the diversity of the show's cast. Same with Beauty and the Beast, whose regular and recurring cast currently includes four central nonwhite performers (Kristin Kreuk, Nina Lisandrello, Brian J. White, and Nicole Gale Anderson) and is about to be joined by Ramamurthy and Edi Gathegi. The CW is doing quite a good job with inclusive casting, despite the inaccurate claims of that infographic you linked to.

19. Temis the Vorta

it's not unkind, it's accurate - if you want to get an overall sense of the situation, you need to look at the copious studies being done that address the whole picture, which are easily found since this issue has been studied to death and discussed extensively for years now.

I could cherry pick, too, by talking selectively about shows where the casts are all white except for that one token character, but what's the point? The research has all been done, you can google it just as easily as I can.

20. Temis the Vorta

Just to help prove my point, yet another white guy gets cast in a show in the last five minutes. :D Henry Ian Cusick joins The Hundred.

Well he's a good actor, I don't mind that at all, but I think I'm seeing a real gender as well as race bias in the roles Deadline is reporting (they just report major roles being cast, so the lesser-token roles don't even show up on their radar.)

EDIT: ANOTHER white guy! And I'm just reporting the genre shows. I swear, way more than half of the casting news is not just white actors but white guys. Well as long as they're cool like Mark Pellegrino, I won't complain but it's getting pretty weird...is Hollywood just giving up on anything more than token diversity?

Last edited: Feb 22, 2013