Set blueprint exchange

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Redgeneral, May 10, 2014.

1. Star Trek Apolgist

Star Trek Apolgist Lieutenant Red Shirt

Have you been removing blueprints? I know you sometimes get request to do so.

2. Redgeneral

Redgeneral Commander Red Shirt

3. Star Trek Apolgist

Oh okay, btw is there any way you could send them to me? I promise not to post or share them. I am of course assuming you kept a copy privately.

4. batboy853

batboy853 Captain Captain

If that's an option me too please :razz:

I PM'ed Joe the last time this came up. He is hoping to get a site online for him to post his repository.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2021
  5. Redgeneral

Joe is working on his online repository - I recently sent him a zip of all the removed items to help him set up the site. It should hopefully be online soon.

Also I have a small announcement to make:

I am rebooting the Galaxy Project - a complete redo from scratch. Very little of the original will be carried over.

The Galaxy Project is the oldest set of plans, and have become outdated. It was about time for a refit as:
    • New copies of blueprints have since been found
    • Better references became available
    • New dimensions and information learnt from the Voyager Project
    • Improvements to my camera matching, 3d modelling, and blueprinting skills etc
    • My blueprint style has evolved over time
    The aim is to redo all the existing sections and expand to new sections.

Although a significant chunk of the project is complete, there is no predicted release date yet - there is still a long way to go.

DEWLine, danellis, Henoch and 7 others like this.
  6. Star Trek Apolgist

Thanks for the info, also I was wondering why you did not Start With TMP since the sets from TMP till the end of Voyager are just modified off of each other.

7. Redgeneral

There are several reason that I tend to focus on TNG and VOY over the TMP film era
    • Both TNG and VOY have 7 seasons, so there is a greater number of potential camera angles. Thus a greater number of references
    • Although the "bones" of the set carry between TMP to TNG to VOY, the further alterations mean that TNG is structurally closer to VOY than it is to TMP. It makes more sense to work from VOY to TNG than TMP to TNG.
    • We already have a larger number of usable VOY blueprints than TMP - so we have a stronger starting point for the VOY and TNG
    • The TMP-era films had rooms that had limited use or scene specific - very few camera shots with limited angles
    • Both TNG and VOY generally had a neutral bright lighting which is ideal for the project. By contrast the films focused more on atmospheric lighting - details are harder to see (e.g https://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tffhd/ch9/tffhd1268.jpg)
    Finally, I just prefer the set designs of the the TNG and VOY era . Given how long it takes to research, model and make the set blueprints, I will always focus my work on what I prefer.

ashleytinger, Nays and danellis like this.
  8. Nays

Nays Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm very excited about this!

9. Star Trek Apolgist

Well Red, I love the project, and the blueprints are you do it are helpful too. I actually want to make the Enterprise A sets. but I would like to have one upgradable from tmp all the way to season 7 tng. I always found it funny that your Voyager transporter pad is the Enterprise Season 4 upgrade. They just never changed it. If I had the room I totally would build it from your blueprints. I am glad to have contributed to your blueprint list. I was considering making my own but you did such a good job of indexing it. You are also better because I have no interest in DS9 Voyager or anything after TNG. Your index is more complete then I would have made it.

10. Redgeneral

ST-VI is the closest version of the Movie Enterprise interiors to TNG sets - a few physical alterations and a revised colour scheme. Should be possible to build that version from the Galaxy Project (when finished...)

Also in ST-VI, the presidents podium is on top of the small TNG cargo transporter pad - https://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tuchd/ch11/tuchd2129.jpg

Talking of the movies, I've just found the concept/blueprint for the main section of the Orbital Office Complex complete with some (very tiny) dimension numbers
    http://archive.frogland.co.uk/#15415366461389/16262110050134
    Source: https://alphamecha-mkii.tumblr.com/post/650252296456896512/star-trek-the-motion-picture-space-office
    Although not a set plan, I think this one is important to archive - I've stuck in in the Starfleet folder

11. ashleytinger

ashleytinger Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well that and the corridors in Star Trek V are pretty much the TNG corridor sets

RichT and Redgeneral like this.
  12. batboy853

I'd echo what ashefivekay said. They really put no effort into redressing the TNG sets for Star trek V.

RichT and Redgeneral like this.
  13. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

That was true for TUC a as well. The engineering section in particular bugged me.

14. Star Trek Apolgist

I know last time I asked for you to model something RedGeneral, I got a little annoying and I am sorry for that. I think I have one that would be easy for you. I am going to just ask, and leave it at that. I have an easy one for you that would really help me with a Video I want to make about the Star Trek V turbolift. Up and down the turbolift are these panels that after Star Trek 5 was used all over TNG and Star Trek 6.I was wondering if you could model that panel.

The best place to start would be the TNG Episode "A Matter of Perspective" in that episode not only is there a straight look at the panel, But they directly show it in relation to the Holodeck Door. I know you have already modeled the Holodeck Door. From there it should be easy to model the other variation of the panels only seen in Star Trek 5. If you really want to be extra helpful try and model the first floor of the Turbolift. But anything would be helpful.

It is going to be used for a follow up on my video about the Turbolift shaft. I did one explaining the deck issue. It is also a follow up to the video about how they got to the center of the galaxy in 6.7 hours. In that video I explained how they did it, but in this one I an going to go over how it should not have taken 6.7 hours to get to the Forward observation lounge.

I will be constructing a action figure scale model of the turbolift, also showing how it would fit into the enterprise. I know you have other things to do but I thought I would ask.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2021
  15. RichT

RichT Guest

At least they repainted it "2290s light grey" from "2360s warm beige" and used era-specific wall graphics. In Star Trek V the Enterprise-A's corridors are literally the Enterprise-D's corridors; colour scheme, carpet, LCARS-themed door labels, and all.

Honestly, I always felt that that engineering set and warp core design were better-suited to the Enterprise-A than the Enterprise-D anyway. A ship the size of the Enterprise-D but its engine room is a tiny corridor junction where civilians can just wander in at any time? Madness! The interesting thing about the warp core in TUC is that it's filmed quite cleverly. We all know that it's the Enterprise-D's warp core, sure, but pains were apparently taken to avoid showing this as overtly as it might have been. We mainly only see the blue of the matter constriction segments, in reflection while Scotty is smiling up at it when the Enterprise-A leave Spacedock, then as the camera pans over the worried faces of the engineering crew as Spock counts down the arrival to Khitomer. The one time the camera does actually focus on and pan over the core proper, during the fight with Chang, it's shot in such a way that it only shows a single plasma transfer conduit leaving it. My feeling is that, knowing they'd have to use the TNG core, they deliberately shot it in a way to suggest it's intermediate between the horizontal intermix shaft of the TMP era and the TNG-style centralised core.

[​IMG]

16. Redgeneral

@Star Trek Apolgist - You already know that I do not and cannot take requests and have been told repeatedly. So do not post requests.
    My free time is very limited due to the impact of my health issues and so my own projects take up all of this time.
    Blueprinting a panel is not a simple "easy" task as I would have to at least camera match the room to remove perspective. Camera matching, Modelling, and Blueprinting take a very long time.
    Also asking me to model the entire floor of the turbolift shaft room is "pushing it"

I have looked into the panels for you:
    In "a matter of perspective", I believe the reinforced door and corridor are attached with a camera mask. You can see that the height of the door relative to the wall changes between these two shots
    Shot A - https://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x14/a_matter_of_perspective_hd_107.jpg
    Shot B - https://tng.trekcore.com/hd/albums/3x14/a_matter_of_perspective_hd_110.jpg
    Thus it cannot be used for scaling.

However these items on the archive may be of use to you

RichT likes this.
  17. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

On the whole, I would agree. I think, however, the warp core would have looked better using the later-rebuilt Voyager configuration, that used a similar intermix effect that the TMP refit had. That TNG core, with the animated red and blue neon light hoop blinkies always looked really super-cheap to me.

RichT likes this.
  18. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

@Star Trek Apolgist, let's not do this song and dance again. If I ever see you requesting anything here again, I'll hand out a warning. I'm so tired of seeing you do this spiel. So please be wise and follow those instructions.

19. RichT

RichT Guest

Oh yes, I quite agree. I never liked the design of the TNG warp core at all. Voyager has the best of course, and the Defiant does pretty well for itself too.

137th Gebirg likes this.
  20. batboy853

I posted a very cleaned up screencap of this panel years ago.

[​IMG]