Sell me on Kes.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Plomeek Broth, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But that's what Ethan was going for.

His job was to annoy you.

And you were annoyed, so he did a wonderful job.

2. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I thought his job was to appease younger audiences... which was annoying... never mind.

3. Guy Gardener

For children who like paedophiles?

I just yell at the TV every time I watch pretty little liars, because the 16 year old heroine is shacked up with her 26 year old teacher (who now looks 30 because the show has been going for 5 years) and her parents are FINE WITH IT!

The Lolita complex.

Stupid children looking for weak adults.

4. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

I have been watching the show for the first time and am at the end of season 3. I agree with others who have said that Kes had a lot of potential that was never realized. Things were going well in the first season, but eventually she just became another body on the ship, rather than an interesting character in her own right. She has many good qualities but the writers did not let her shine like she could have. I think that the character was really hampered by the connection with Neelix.

This may sound silly, but I also think the ugly haircut made a difference. I know that once I saw her with long hair, I thought wow, why didn't we have this Kes all along? A visual thing so simple can really make a difference. We also know that Jennifer was a good actress from Warlord, but I did not like the way she played Kes. Maybe it was the writers, maybe it was her, more likely a combination of both, but the Kes character often felt fake to me and took me out of the show a little bit.

But on the whole, Kes doesn't even come close to my least favorite Trek characters. She's just sorta there.

5. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

I really cant help you.

Seven [and Jeri] was just far, far more interesting.

Kes for me is like wallpaper...i like her...but I just don't care. Also Lien's bizarre voice starts to grate after a while.

6. Spot's Meow

Spot's Meow Vice Admiral Admiral

Nice to know I'm not the only one. I found her voice soothing at first, but soon it began to annoy me.

7. TheGoodStuff

TheGoodStuff Captain Captain

Im glad someone else agrees. Jeffery Combs has a bizarre voice too...but it is epic. Liens at first is quirky and cute...then it just grates and becomes overwhelmingly monotonous.

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I loathe her voice. She sounds condescending most of the time, she reminds me of varying women I've known who always talk in this fake oh so sincere because I know better than you voice. I wish she had just talked normally, I would be very surprised if Lien actually talked like this!!

I remember the epic day Miss Chicken rose from the depths of the Lounges to announce she hated Kes's voice.. so there are some of us it did have a big negative impact on.

And yes "monotonous" also describes it.. there are times whens she sounds like the adults in Charlie Brown shows!

9. Guy Gardener

Seven of Nine is a cheap trick.

"Let's take the most interesting thing about Star trek, Data and/or Spocks search for humanity, and wrap it the most interesting thing about TNG: The Borg, and then give it an ample chest so that it will inspire girls to be strong and boy's to look for a small room with a lock on the door."

If you fell for that shit, because it's exactly what you had always wanted, you are unfortunately a doe eyed sheep.

It takes no effort to like Seven.

You are not an explorer or a detective plumbing unfounded layers looking for a kernel of amazingness...

She is a oral sex of Porsches... Or the Porsche of oral sex.

Same difference.

It's not a bad thing to be so middle of the road, I like her too, I can't help it, they designed her for me by committee, but I don't have to like that I like her, and I can be bloody minded and difficult about it.

Last edited: Feb 21, 2014
  10. teacake

I relate more strongly to 7 than I did to Spock, I feel she is the most like me in personality.

Of course I also relate strongly to Pinkie Pie..

I need help.

Also I don't want to plumb I want to BE plumbed and 7 plumbed me good :techman:

11. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

What happened to that Kes appreciation thread Plomeek Broth started? It's around here somewhere.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2014
  12. teacake

I'm going down to the hydroponics bay to look for it. I might take 7 with me. I've turned my comm badge off so don't try and contact me if I don't come back for a while.

13. teya

teya Vice Admiral Admiral

The funny thing is, I was absolutely prepared to hate her. Blond, buxom, pretty, young. Taking the spotlight from Kate. Yadda, yadda, yadda.

I tuned in to Scorpion 2 with a big bowl of popcorn and a beer, ready to celebrate the bimbo's crashing & burning. Because, you know, when you look like that, you couldn't possibly also be smart or talented...

By the time The Gift was over, I had a new favorite Trek character. It wasn't the writing by committee that won me. It was Jeri's performance. She took what could have been a wholesale disaster & made a compelling character out of her.

14. Guy Gardener

You say Hydroponics, but it was aeroponics... So where did she get the bowl of soil she ate for breakfast?

15. Guy Gardener

Oh completely.

I do question her design, but Jeri's performance however was first class.

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Kesgasm!

[​IMG]

17. teacake

That was Talaxian "soil".

18. Guy Gardener

Beats Talaxian stool.

19. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^I hear that's the key to growing Leola Root.

20. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

As I've mentioned before, I got that idea from an interview with Roxann Dawson in which she mentioned that she seldom had any scenes with Jennifer Lien, so I thought it would be fun to team them up in The Black Shore. That also gave me a chance to ask (via B'Elanna) the question we all were asking: "What exactly do you see in Neelix anyway?"

Back OT: I always liked Kes. She was sweet and curious and excited to be out exploring the universe, which provided a nice contrast to, say, B'Elanna or Tuvok. You need a diverse mix of personalities on a show like Voyager, and Kes provided the youthful innocence and enthusiasm . . . for awhile at least.