Season Six - What Gives?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Lois007, May 10, 2015.

1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the Fair Haven episodes contrary to the lousy Equinox. Captain Ransom should have been kicked out of an airlock.
    Again: to each his own.:)

2. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually agree about Ransom. He was not the nicest fellow. However, I like the episode because it showed up a sort of "worst case scenario" with a wacky Starfleet crew instead of the common wacky Maquis or whatever.

teacake wrote:
    Well.....I could actually watch season 6 again if I find a way to erase or get rid of "the episode which should never have been made" from the disc and see if my opinion has changed about the episodes since I watched the season in 2000. Just to show that I'm not a totally lost case. ;)

However, I do remember that I did find most of the episodes a bit uninteresting.

As for "Enterprise", I gave up on that one after 5 episodes for several reasons. I think that they did screw up established Star Trek history too much. I was also very critical to the fact that they abandoned the 24th century for a retro series.

But most of all, I was so p***ed with Berman, Braga and that gang that I felt an urgent need to smash the TV every time their names showed up.

However, in retrospect I must admit that "Enterprise", despite its flaws and despite being the weakest of all the Star Trek series at least was 20 times better than "Stargate Universe". The weird thing is that I watched most of the "Stargate Universe" episodes, most of all because of my twisted sense of humor and because watching the series turned into a joke between me and a relative who admitted that he did fall asleep on two occasions while watching it. :guffaw:

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

SG:U had some serious problems. See: most of the characters. But it was still decent, if plodding, sci fi that picked up considerably in season 2. I've seen it twice and will probably watch it again some time, it was much better the second time trough because I had gotten over my main gripe which was the tedious going back to earth in other people's bodies having drama storylines. I am not big on interpersonal drama in my sci fi, give me aliens.

I think you should just watch Blink of an Eye. It is a wonderful episode, classic Trek tale.

4. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. I haven´t watched more than 10 ENT episodes. I don´t like T´Pol and the actress who plays her. But compared with nuTrek there is still hope for ENT. I could warm to it. I even enjoyed the MU short story Age of the Empress.

Each show and each season has good and bad episodes.

5. Lynx

"Blink Of An Eye" is actually one of the few episodes from season 4-7 that I really like! :techman:

6. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

Blink of an Eye is awesome; there is so much to like in this ep. I like the astronomers and Daniel Dae Kim as Gotana-Retz, especially.

7. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh my gosh, wasn't he great? So likeable. I had a tear in the final scene.

As a matter a fact, I saw that episode today. It never gets old.

8. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I can't remember much of S6 as it had already become the Seven of Nine show and my interest in it had dwindled.

9. Lois007

Lois007 Ensign Newbie

I really appreciate all of your feedback. It's interesting all these different points of view.

I really loved Blink of an Eye - but I realized that I always love the shows that have space/time continuum wrinkles - in all of the series.

When I wrote the beginning post of this thread, I had just started rewatching season 6.

The episode Alice - well, that made me think of Stephen King's Christine...

Then there was Tsunkatse - Great:sigh: - Seven in Thunderdome...

And then the doctor with his singing and Reg with his neuroses...

But then I just went ahead and watched them.
    Alice = Christine meets Google Glass actually, it wasn't too bad.

Tsunkatse ended up being pretty good - with the Hirogen hunter... nice twist.

The Fair Haven stories...cheesy, but okay...

So, I won't say the whole season was bad. I still enjoyed most of the episodes.

Question - what is this "the episode that should not be named..." (or whatever it is called..)? I'm the new kid, so I'm clueless.

10. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

I like "Alice" a lot; Tom's my favorite, and it's full of Tom. :D

11. teacake

It's Fury. Lynx is in love with Kes and never recovered from that episode, you have to tiptoe around this unwanted piece of canon at times. If anyone ever starts an "I LOVE FURY!" thread I expect to find the forum in smoking ruins within an hour.

12. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Pretty interesting how diverse the reactions are with this season. I think 4 and 5 are the undisputed masterpiece years when it comes to VOY, with 3 and 7 not too far behind. 6, then, is generally a pretty weak bridge between all this other greatness. There are some standout episodes, but next time I go through the show I might skip many of the rest.

Or, perhaps, I will simply be happily drunk for them.

13. Lynx

:guffaw:

That comment really made my day!

Smoking ruins? No, that could have happened a couple of years ago but not now. The Lynx is a diplomatic and civilized person now.

However, I must admit that a certain episode still really annoys me.

14. teacake

An.. unnamed episode.

15. Ghost

Ghost Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man I had to look Season 6 up as I barely could recall it any more. But yeah I agree with some posters here that basically this was when Voyager became really average though traces could already be seen in Season 5 (personally I enjoyed Season 4 and 5 of Voyager the most but even these had stinkers such as 'In the Flesh' and 'Timeless'. I much more enjoyed the idea by an article writer who believed that the 100th episode would have been about an attack on the Federation by species 8472 and the Voyager crew having to work together with LaForge to prevent it).

There were still some good episodes such as 'Equinox' part 2, 'Tinker Tenor Doctor Spy' (I found the Doctor exploring imagination fun at least), 'Dragon's Teeth' (they really should have done more with the Vaadwaur), 'Blink of an Eye' (neat concept for a world).

But for the rest I did not care much for this season including the appearances by the Borg which otherwise would have been highlights for me.

Season 7 only continued this decay and it became a chore to actually get through it.

Last edited: Jun 2, 2015
  16. Balok's Head

Balok's Head Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have a warm fondness for seasons 1-4, I actually do - some great Star Trek there. But season 5...something just felt wrong. It's almost as if the shit-filter came off and the episodes seemed like draft scripts raced into production.
    Earlier seasons had Mike Pillar and Jeri Taylor really getting to the core of a script and making sure the shows had at least some polish to them. Everything post season 5 just got lame too easily, not to mention on-set tensions probably made things worse performance wise. Kate and Jeri being at odds, Beltran starting to hate his job, some of the cast had obvious tensions with Berman WHILE THE SHOW WAS IN PRODUCTION - it all comes out in the show in the end.

Post season 5 still does have some great shows, as some have already noted but my god - that episode 'Nothing Human' was the first time I was actually shouting in anger at my TV.

I'm most sad about the Chakotay character, he had some great potential and I liked Beltran as an actor too. Tattoo showed some great promise but it ended up going NOWHERE. Fair enough he was pissed.

Actually moving through season 5 now with my girlfriend who was complaining that she'd never seen the last episode where they get home. I usually only watch shows from the first four years, a few episodes deep and it's starting to get hard...

The show peaked season 3/4, 4 had some particularly great shows and it was clear that the writers were having fun with new cast additions/subtractions.

It's interesting that Ron Moore left after two episodes season 6. I like Braga and his work but I think it's obvious he didn't give a fuck about the show.

17. Ghost

Ghost Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You actually made me look back at Season 5 Balok's Head after reading your post. And it seems I have been a bit to forgiving on Season 5.
    I liked the opening episodes 'Night' and 'Drone', 'Bride of Chaotica' (for its old sci fi serial silliness), 'Dark Frontier' (somewhat, still the Borg Queen :( ), 'Relativity', 'Warhead' and 'Equinox'.
    But for the rest, when I check all the summaries of the episodes again I come to the conclusion I found most of them average or forgettable.

Thanks a lot Balok's Head, now I consider most of Season 5, 6, and 7 a waste. :p

18. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Season 6 is like Season 5 for me, a handful of good episodes mixed with a lot of mediocre/bad episodes. The highest point of Voyager might have been Season 4 where it seemed like every episode was great.

19. Balok's Head

Balok's Head Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Agreed^, however I did think season 6 was a step up on 5 - can't remember much of 7 (should be there soon). But the last seasons are totally phoning it in.

Another thing I've noticed about the last 3 seasons was the music. I would argue it's slightly more musical than the Berman wallpaper tones of seasons 3/4 but I must say it's pretty terrible. I think it's worst in the 6th season from memory, the music just doesn't feel 'Trek' to me. Anyone agree? I'll take the wallpaper tones of VOY and DS9 over that any day.

And you're correct, Ghost!

20. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

Which is the Episode That Should Never Have Been Made?