Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Seems like Stewart knew it was a hit in season two at least...

http://blastr.com/2012/02/why-patrick-stewart-panic.php

2. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm watching Naked Now properly right now, so many good moments in this episode. My favourite thing about this is how Riker is just to damned tough to give in to the disease.

3. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Riker has always been my favorite character on the show. You tend to not notice him, but when you think a bit about it, he's had a surprisingly large number of really solid episodes in the series. Kind of in the way how superficially the big things in Best of Both Worlds are the Borg and Locutus, but really when it gets down to it, it's a Riker story. He forms the emotional core of that story and Frakes delivers a damn fine performance.

4. Pindar

He's always been my favourite next gen character too. I think probably because he reminds me of Kirk.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

He was my favorite up until the end of season 3, after that he just felt redundant.

6. Pindar

Can I add that Wesleys sweaters look fantastic in HD. It's been a long time since I watched S1 of TNG I had kind of forgotten how much I hated him back then. Funnily don't mind the character any more maybe because I love Wil Wheaton these days.

7. Solarbaby

Solarbaby Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I noticed that. It sounds like they are all talking trough a metal pipe

8. Nero's Shadow

Nero's Shadow Captain Captain

:drool:I've just started to watch it in HD and I noticed that they changed the movie enterprise schematic in the episode The Naked Now to the TOS Enterprise !!! HD does wonders for your eyes lol also loving the 80,s promo trailers for each episode !! STAR trek the next generation !!!! And how many times does Picard call Wesley boy in the 1st season !!! In a nutshell I'm loving STTNG HD !!!!:techman:

9. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

It's funny, I used to always think Riker was incredibly stiff and boring early on. But watching the first season again I can totally see the stoic, "Gary Cooper" vibe Gene was going for with the character.

Frakes pulls that off really well, and it's a shame he didn't appreciate it more than he did. Because that Riker actually seems kinda cool now.

10. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

12. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gotta say, one of my favorite additions to the BD are the "next time on star trek the next generation" promos. Sure brings back memories. I would get so excited at the end of the episode to see the next week's episode promo. and be so bummed when the announcer didn't say "all new."

13. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

I've only watched The Arsenal of Freedom so far, and the new extras. I wished they'd gotten more into why people like D.C. Fontana left half-way through the first season. Was it all because of Gene and his rewrites?

Also, did anyone see the "Next time on Starrrrr Trek: The Next Generation" promo at the end of the third Stardate Revisited? Looks like we'll get a good insight in the Season 2 set into exactly what happened with Gates McFadden.

14. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

It's a well known fact that D.C. Fontana and others quit during the first season because Gene was difficult to work with and constantly rewriting the scripts. There's a documentary out entitled Trek Nation where Fontana talks in depth about this and states that she and Gene did not end of good terms.

As for Gates McFadden's absence in Season 2 it does appear they will go into more details. During the theater event this past Monday there was an extended trailer that showed a clip about Dr. Pulaski. Michael Dorn joked "One minute Gates is out and Diana is in and the next Diana is out and Gates is in." I'm hoping Gates goes into more detail about her departure. The basic story for years has been producers weren't happy with the Crusher character

15. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

I've read somewhere (infamous opening words, I know...) that part of the reason McFadden left was because she felt really uncomfortable around... uh, who was it... Maurice Hurley, I think? That he was making advances on her?

Crazy stuff if true. But I don't even begin to remember where I heard it is, so eh. Not trying to spread nonsense, though. I know I read it somewhere...

16. bullethead

bullethead Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

SFDebris mentioned that someone put it on Memory Alpha in his review of The Child.

17. Quinton O'Connor

Huh.

18. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

^ Which i find odd, considering in the first season she got a fair amount of screen time and development, more so than Data or any other secondary main character after Picard and Riker. Her back story with Picard was interesting plus she was one of the few strong independent female characters on TV at the time.

19. Quinton O'Connor

Do they ever give any explanation for Pulaski's disappearance after the second season? I know there's the whole Starfleet Medical gig for Crusher, but did Pulaski even get that much?

20. mr.peany

mr.peany Commodore Commodore

Negative. it may be explained in the novels.

EDIT: This is related to nothing, but I just realised I have been a member here since May 2000. Sweet Jesus. My longest relationship.