Season ONE OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Mutai Sho-Rin, Jul 24, 2012.

1. FrontierTrek

FrontierTrek Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

2. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

3. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Re: The OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Season 1 Discussion Thread

Maybe if she was trying out for other TV roles, but I doubt movie producers really care about that kind of thing. They only need her for like three months or so.

And it's not like she went through some messy, protracted process with the studio like a Charlie Sheen or something. All she did was go to Roddenberry and he let her out of the contract, plain and simple.

Obviously in retrospect she should have stuck around, but I seriously doubt her leaving is what ruined her career. It's more the fact she just wasn't a very strong actress.

4. davejames

Man, I never noticed before just how many old sets and props were recycled between the various TV series and movies.

5. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

Another great article. I like how in the new "wall of fire" shot, the compositor rotoscoped properly around the wood rail which wasn't done originally. It's little touches like that which make this remastering effort even more enjoyable to watch.

I agree also that it's strange they left the moving people in the observation lounge in the approach to Galaxy M-33. I suggested to Mr. Okuda several weeks ago that they should have erased the moving people from the pencil animation and just left the table and chairs for shots like this.

The same shot can be seen in the opening of act one of Season Three's "The Ensigns of Command." In that case, the windows are simply blue... but that would also be a great occasion to use a people-less observation lounge element.

6. Michael

Michael Good Bad Influence Moderator

I'm unclear about how the window lights on that shot of the 2-footer going to warp were achieved. I believe it was in this thread were it was said they were painted in digitally by CBS. Your article (and Mike Okuda's quote in it), however, makes it sound like the "lights" (= the reflective tape) were always there and it's just with the new compositing that they are visible now.

So which is it? :confused:

7. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

Honestly? I think both is the case, Mike left it open.

8. Maxwell Everett

I interpreted what he was saying as they shot a window light pass in 1987 by shining a light on the reflective tape... then CBS Digital took that element (now in HD) and boosted the levels to make the windows brighter white than they were on film originally. The new digital composite now has brighter looking windows as a result.

9. Michael

Yes, that's what I took from Mike Okuda's words, too. However, it contradics an earlier assessment by someone in this thread (unfortunately I don't remember who and where exactly), that the windows were painted in digitally in the remastering process. So I was wondering which version was true (as obviousley they can't both be ture).

10. Maxwell Everett

I would go with the guy who actually works on the project. ;)

Painting in the windows digitally would have taken forever... also they couldn't have done it with Tobias Richter's CG model because it has a different window pattern than the 2-foot model. Also, getting it to line up perfectly would have been very difficult (i.e. nearly impossible).

11. davejames

Well we already see that HD has made the lights on the OTHER models stand out a lot more, so it only makes sense that the same would happen with the 2-footer as well.

12. Ghostface1701

Ghostface1701 Commander Red Shirt

I think it may be both for warp-entry shots. There's no lighting pass when they use the slit-scan technique, so the lights are digitally added at that point (as they were for the shots in the opening titles).

13. Ghostface1701

Watched up to Haven now, and I was shocked to find it was actually OK (80's Emmy-nominated hair styles not withstanding)! There were the usual problems, like the crew acting way too late to a situation (why wait until the Tarellian ship was in transporter range of Haven before tractoring them, instead of intercepting them at the edge of the "solar" * system?), but the dialogue felt more natural than in any episode I've seen so far this season. I also loved Picard's instant trouble with Lwaxana, especially his little bow when she told him he may leave :rommie:

I really wish we were all able to watch these eps together, MST3K-style, as there's too much to comment on in a post after the fact.

* I really hate it every time they use the term "solar system" when referring to alien star systems.

14. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

What makes that situation worse is that they not only make Picard look incredibly unprofessional, but also the crew incredibly dumb for not thinking of teh obvious.

1. Picard actually waits for this ship to get within range of the planet before he orders the Enterprise to stop it. Why? What if the Alien ship had some kind of technology that resisted the tractor beam? Gee, if only we had done it sooner.

2. Did everyone in this episode (including the lady on Haven) just completely forget that the Enterprise has a tractor beam? It's a pretty important piece of equipment that was able to defend the Enterprise from the Picard Maneuver, a maneuver that up until than had no defense.

3. Picard acts like a pompous a**hole for no reason. Tasha Yar suggests using phasers to disable the ship (I thought the tractor beam was out of commission since no one brings it up) and Picard responds with "And than, Lieutenant?". Tasha Yar can't think of an answer and Picard completely dismisses her. Hey, Picard. You know what would happen if the ship were to be disabled? It wouldn't threaten the planet and everyone would be safe. To think that Tasha doesn't say that makes the whole thing worse.

4. Picard doesn't let anyone in on his plan. Why? There's no reason why Picard The leader on Haven is almost panicking about how the Enterprise refuses to do anything and all Picard does is essentially cut her off. Why not just say "We're going to put a tractor beam on the ship and prevent it from getting into transporter range"? Picard doesn't even tell anyone on the bridge! Haven could be issuing evacuation orders.

Is this really supposed to be the "enlightened humanity" that Gene kept striving for? Apparently the road to being like angels and gods means that we can screw with everyone and not have to tell them a darn thing, even when it involves a planet wide catastrophic event.

15. Michael

According to a TrekMovie tweet, that extended cut of "Measure of a Man" is now officially confirmed by CBS. Man, if they will also start to include audio commentaries (as Ira Behr's recent comment suggests), the second season blu-ray set will be even better than the first! Plus, some of my favorite episodes are in this season. I'm so looking forward to this.

16. Captrek

Captrek Vice Admiral Admiral

Sometime in the next couple of centuries that usage becomes standard. Like every soft drink is a Coke and every tissue is a Kleenex, every star system is a Solar System.

It's actually somewhat plausible as a shortening of extrasolar system.

17. Ghostface1701

I would've thought that the opposite would be true. After all, there are so many Federation worlds, and "extrasolar" only makes sense to one of them. It would be like calling every other lifeform "extraterrestrial".

18. Maxwell Everett

[​IMG] StarTrek.com ‏@StarTrek

#StarTrekTNG season two Blu-ray will
    include the intended extended version of
    Measure of a Man. "It is unprecedented."
    #STLV

I'm guessing this means in full HD (meaning they located the film), otherwise it would be neither intended nor unprecedented. :)

19. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

This is great but I hope the original version is there as well.

20. Maxwell Everett

You can probably take that to the bank. It's really just what form the extended version will be in that's still somewhat unclear. I wish the tweet above was more definitive -- they'll certainly have enough room even if S2 is a 5-disc set.