Season 2 Teaser

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Discovery' started by Tuskin38, Jul 20, 2018.

1. fireproof78

fireproof78 Admiral Admiral

Silly me :beer:

2. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

It looks fun. Something I wasn't expecting from DSC after the first season. Here's to hoping.

lawman and Jadeb like this.
  3. eschaton

eschaton Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They clearly want it to seem fun and lighthearted. Whether it actually is or they are selecting a handful of lighthearted scenes from the first 5-6 episodes remains to be seen.

BillJ and lawman like this.
  4. Tuskin38

Tuskin38 Admiral Admiral

Is it just me or does the Discovery seem less... bronze on the exterior? Maybe its just the lighting.

Her hull lettering is also black instead of white here

[​IMG]

BillJ, GaiusBaltarBand and ITDUDE like this.
  5. fireproof78

It struck a good balance for me.

JoeP, Ovation and Nerys Myk like this.
  6. Jadeb

Jadeb Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If there's a handful of lighthearted scenes in multiple episodes, that's still progress.

7. PT109

PT109 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Some fun throwbacks in Spock's quarters:

[​IMG]

8. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I'm fairly confident it will. I think this is the show Kurtzman wanted to make all along: TV Kelvin. (Or rather Kelvin-inspired TV)

We'll probably never know the behind the scenes politics, but I've suggested before that I suspected it was a big point of contention between he and Fuller. And there probably wasn't much he could do even after Fuller was booted. So he just figured he could ride out the season and do a soft reset by either bringing in someone else like-minded or just taking over himself. (I expected Herberts would be shown the door long before anyone of the shenanigans.

JoeP likes this.
  9. Campe98

Campe98 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

One word: Fun.

All of the whining in the thread (which has been minimal but still there)?

[​IMG]

10. eschaton

See, the thing is we don't know exactly when Akiva Goldsman was shown the door. And we do know that Berg and Harberts were only shown the door after all the episodes we see clips of here were filmed. So it could be there was a strong pivot from day one. Or it could be that the show began pivoting, but what we see here more represents what CBS wants the show to be tonally by the end of the season than what it has been in production to date. We have to wait and see.

JoeP, lawman and Kaelef like this.
  11. Serveaux

Serveaux Tasteless and unnecessary Premium Member

Or, it could be a few light moments cut together with energetic music that don't reflect their in-story context at all.

This is a marketing piece, not a scene from an episode. No, they are not responsible to accurately reflect the product or its tone. Their job is to generate good WOMs and lots of links.

lurok, dinzy, ATimson and 2 others like this.
  12. eschaton

So, thinking deeper about the trailer, the (somewhat overwrought) opening monologue by Burnham seems to directly relate to the "science vs. faith" aspect of the season that Berg/Harberts alluded to. It seems whatever the "red bursts" are, one interpretation of them will be they are some sort of divine message.

Also, I could be wrong, but I think there really are only three episodes being shown in this trailer: The first involving Pike's introduction, the one with the spinny ships in an asteroid belt, and one involving some sort of an away mission.

lawman likes this.
  13. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Seems like they're going for a different vibe this season. I can't picture them having certain of these moments in Season 1, out-of-context or not.

Jadeb likes this.
  14. Fandango831

Fandango831 Commander Red Shirt

Same skirt/legging set used in the Mirror-Universe alt female uniform (Detmer). Just now they have the colored blouse as the top and the blackened version of the DSC boots.

Spaceship Jo likes this.
  15. CorporalClegg

Maybe. But Pike literally says "Let's have some fun along the way." That's a little too on the nose to ignore.

And Kurtzman has always been the lighter touch of the old BR team.

CorporalCaptain and Jadeb like this.
  16. fireproof78

Part of Michael's growth which I am becoming fond of.

JoeP and CorporalClegg like this.
  17. CorporalClegg

Really obscure video game reference: but anyone who only plays the first few hours of Tales of the Abyss would most likely consider the MC, Luke, to be one of the worst, most annoying, want to kill characters in any game they've ever played. And yet he is very highly regarded within JRPG circles/fandoms.

18. Lord Garth

Lord Garth Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The trailer's fun. There's no denying that. It is. I got a blast out of it. But...

My only hope is that in the actual season, they didn't cave in too much to the people who were complaining about the show. I liked the darker tone. Whether that puts me in the minority or not.

Vger23, PiotrB and JoeP like this.
  19. CorporalClegg

It can be both.

JoeP and fireproof78 like this.
  20. Kane_Steel

Kane_Steel Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed. Burnham even looked miserable. She continues to be the stick in the mud for this show. A really boring character that doesn't really jive with the new tone. The fun Lenny Kravitz music blasting really didn't fit well with her character who is still better suited for this tone: