Season 2 Klingons

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Carl West, Apr 9, 2012.

1. nightwind1

nightwind1 Commodore Commodore

Plus, the original plan was to have Koloth as a recurring antagonist. The explanation being that his ship's patrol zone was contiguous to Kirk's, but on the other side of the Neutral Zone.

2. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

I would suspect that Star Trek Phase II is indeed the chief offender in this regard. In order to "continuously" run into the same characters, it presupposes that we are "continuously" generating episodes. I can't think of many other productions that generate enough episodes that there would even be any opportunity for such credulity-straining coincidences.

Obviously, of course, tapping into and relying upon the same people repeatedly (e.g. John Carrigan as "Kargh") is a cost-saving and time-saving measure--an important consideration for a production on a shoestring budget. But I think we do indeed suffer from "small universe" mentality. I think that's probably true of Star Trek in general.

3. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

It certainly became true of Trek post TOS.

4. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Yes. And in hindsight, it's hard to imagine that instead of having John Colicos reprise his role is Kor, it was considered a better choice to have--what was the actor's name? Ned Romero?--play the part of that compelling Klingon figure--what was his name? Krell?

If there was indeed a decision to avoid a "small universe" and to not use John Colicos as Kor, the drawback seems to have been a three-in-a-row series of weak second season Klingons.

5. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

When Abraham Lincoln showed up in a later episode, some of the poorer history students probably thought he was supposed to be a Klingon.

;)

6. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I understand the practical reasons for a fanflim to have a recurring character moreso than a prefessional TV series like Star Trek.

The problem with the 2nd season Klingons was the writing, not the actors.

7. DrCorby

DrCorby Captain Captain

LOVE IT!! Glad I wasn't taking a drink when I read that. Well done! :guffaw:

8. Midas

Midas Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

9. Tribble Herder

Tribble Herder Lieutenant Commander

Trying to imagine "Hello, Darlin'" in Klingon... :wtf:

10. Uxi

Uxi Commander Red Shirt

I've always liked the idea of the John Ford Janissary-style hybrid Klingons better than the "You have no honor" schtick TNG gave us, much less the augment virus idea (though I did like Brent Spiner's use there). The turning point was decided when they did the Albino thing, of course, so it was lost.

I never minded the Season 2 Klinks, though.

11. MANT!

MANT! Vice Admiral Admiral

[​IMG]
    K'Bob The Discount Klingon is displeased with this thread..

12. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

Yeah, this was about as low-grade as you could get. :lol:

13. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

Can someone Photoshop an Amish straw hat and a pitchfork into that Tige Andrews image?

That would be perfect.

Extra credit (a pound of topaline ore) for inserting a stem into his mouth. :lol:

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

[​IMG]
    This was the point that Adam Greer decided that he couldn't pass as a young hippy a need to recruit a "mod squad" to go undercover.

15. Tribble Herder

To be fair, they did make the Klingons a little swarthy in the second season. Just not as much as the first and third.

16. Maurice

According to one of those VHS intros done by the cast for UK VHS releases in the 90s Tigh Andrews (Bob the Discount Klingon, above) was supposed to be the Klingon in Tribbles but but was unavailable, which is why the role went to William Campbell. This is porbbaly be apocryphal, but there you go.

Last edited: Dec 18, 2019
  17. Wingsley

Wingsley Commodore Commodore

^ Doesn't make sense. We saw Kras get killed by the Keel the Capellan in "Friday's Child".

18. Tribble Herder

Time to drag out that old copy of Gerrold's book on the subject.

I don't remember any reference to Andrews...

19. Maurice

They didn't say he was going to play Kras. They said he was going to play the character that ended up being Koloth.

20. AtoZ

AtoZ Commander Red Shirt

Those looking to take offense and act all high and mighty aside, I have enjoyed watching this discussion go down. And while I see the point made about "low grade" Klingons, for my money the worst of the worst was William Campbell....a MARVELOUS actor...improperly utilized and arguably miscast in his role as a Klingon.

He was BRILLIANT as Trelane...but as a low budget Klingon.....sorry.