Science Fiction Television?

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Arpy, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

Nightmare Cafe: 1992 NBC series canceled after 6 episodes.
    Fansite:
    http://iaith.tapetrade.net/nightmarecafe/ntmrcafe.html
    Wikipedia article:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nightmare_Cafe
    Clips at Google Video:
    http://video.google.com/videosearch?q="nightmare+cafe"&hl=en&emb=0&aq=f#
    IMDB entry:
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103502/
    Cool site I just found called "Great but Not Forgotten":
    http://greatbutforgotten.blogspot.com/2008/07/nightmare-cafe-tv.html

I've been thinking about science-fiction television and would like titles, links, and feedback. Don't just give a title or list of titles - you can find those all over and I don't care how many you can spout on call...this is as much about connecting with people who like sci-fi tv as much as the shows themselves.

For my first one above, it's not even Science Fiction so much as fantasy or horror. I've not seen it since it first aired and am half way through the first episode now - won't tell you where in case it's illegal, though it's amazing how many places have the entire run.

This show freaked me out when I was a kid and it's stayed with me. It's about a mystical diner that appears just long enough to put patrons through cathartic hell. ...I was going through something similar, then in my early teen years, being forced by time and nature beyond the joys, and unfinished business, of childhood into the looming fright of adolescence. NBC made a fuss about the show leading up to its debut and then quickly canceled it. My window to the fringe of the adult mind disappeared. I remember being bored at times, but I wanted to know its secrets...like Lost, or The X-Files. Its surrounding factors made the show more important to me than it may merit, and it's probably entirely wrong for this thread, but there you have it. I'll chime in with better stuff later.

If you're gonna go the easy route with Trek, SW, B5, SG1/A/U, Doctor Who, Torchwood, nuBSG, etc, (all of which I've seen and liked) provide some especially good or otherwise meaningful links. They're always good too.

2. Leroy

Leroy Commodore Commodore

Not sure I understand, are you looking for a recommendation on what shows to watch?

3. 23skidoo

23skidoo Admiral Admiral

Yeah I'm not quite sure what's being asked of us here, either. At first I thought maybe this was a thread about shows cancelled before their time, but then there's the reference to Trek, Who, etc. If the OP could be a bit more clear as to what he/she wants it might be helpful.

Alex

4. Orintho

Orintho Vice Admiral Admiral

5. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

Does pancake bunny apply here? I'm confused.

6. T'Baio

T'Baio Admiral Admiral

Yes, Master! *salutes*

7. Arpy

Arpy Vice Admiral Admiral

If you like a show and have links and a tale, share. :p

8. Kirkman1987

Kirkman1987 Commodore Commodore

Well, I'm always willing to throw out some love for twin peaks, a stylish little series about murder, a gateway to another dimension, and coffee with pie.

You can watch everything but the pilot online (lame considering how important the pilot is)

http://www.cbs.com/classics/twin_peaks/

IMDB

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0098936/

And not true sci-fi, but Life on Mars (U.K.) is a series I recently found and fell in love with. It's a gritty hilarious cop show, and Gene Hunt is one of the best characters in television history

Intro to life on mars

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R6rkfbKnjZ0

9. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^Second that rec. for the UK "Life on Mars." Please skip the crappy US version; the UK version is far, far better. Gene Hunt is one of the best characters on TV in a very long while.

10. Mistral

Mistral Vice Admiral Admiral

Ah, but the American version has Gretchen Moll, which went a long way towards redeeming it. Actually, I had a good time with Life On Mars-american version. I have yet to see the Brit version though.

11. CmdrAJD

CmdrAJD Commodore Commodore

I seem to remember hearing there's some rights issue with the pilot, since it was also released theatrically in Europe with a tacked-on ending to make it a self-contained story rather than the lead-in to the series.

I know the old VHS box set didn't come with the pilot either. Very annoying.

12. Kirkman1987

^
    Yes, I assume that's the cause

You can only get the pilot in the complete series box set that came out awhile back, so it's not that inconvenient, but it does pose a problem to anyone who may just want to watch it online. CBS likely only got the full rights for dvd release, and decided not to pony up for online rights to the pilot.

It is on youtube however, if anyone is ever looking.

13. CmdrAJD

I need to get that box set. I also keep hoping for either an extended edition of Fire Walk With Me or at least a release with deleted scenes. I want to see that extra footage!

And you're in Memphis? I grew up there. Well...Germantown, really, but close enough. I haven't been back in years, though.

14. Kirkman1987

Yes, I moved to Memphis just two months ago primarily to live with my girlfriend. I'm also continuing school. I live right by the University of Memphis right off of S. Highland street. I formerly lived In Kansas City, MO.

I think we will see the FWWM deleted scenes at some point. Lynch really wants them put out. I'd like to see a lot of them. I would love to see all the scenes with The regular cast, although I would be most excited about the Deer Meadow footage. I thought that first segment really captured the quirky atmosphere of the show.

Regardless, we need an SE of Fire walk with me, the current dvd is pretty bare.

The gold box is worth it if you are a fan. There's a discussion piece just with Lynch and some of the cast as well as a comprehensive documentry that is over 2 hours and interviews almost everyone. They are not afraid to speak frankly about the second season, and it's very honest about some of the problems they had. You also get lots of old ads, bumpers, an SNL sketch, and so on.

15. CmdrAJD

Ah yes. I know the area. I went to the elementary school on the U of M campus (Memphis State at that time) on Zach Curlin.

From what I've gathered, a French company funded FWWM, but I'm not sure if they still have rights to the footage or not. Still, considering every movie seems to be getting an SE release these days, it's probably only a matter of time.

That doc on the box set sounds great. I prefer the ones that are honest about the production of a show as opposed to the cheerleading sessions that you see in a lot of special features.