Sci-fi Brilliant but Canceled or little known gems

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Gotham Central, Apr 21, 2008.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

I concur.

Rewtched a couple months ago, and it totally holds up.

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Glad to know I'm not the only one, I think there were at least a few points where I actually liked Caprica better than BSG.
    If you're in the US and get the digital network AntennaTV they show it 9AM ET/6AM PT.

3. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I was wondering if anyone, ever watched "Homeboys in Outer Space?" I got to think the show mus havet been really racist but I never saw it. I know James DOohan(Scotty) was in some ep's.

I also watched a show called "Century City" about Lawyers in the near future. It was kind of good but it got cancelled early in it's first season.

Also when I was young I know I enjoyed watching the old "Flash" tv show were Flash was played by the actor who plays the dad of the current Flash character on tv.

Also I watched "Friday the 13" tv show were this guy and girl and a older man chased after curse objects that were cursed by Satan and return them to the antique store they operated out of.

Jason

4. The Laughing Vulcan

The Laughing Vulcan Admiral Admiral

I was disappointed when Defying Gravity got cancelled. It was missold as Grey's Anatomy in space, as for me it was closer to 2001 the TV series, as close to hard sci-fi TV got. It certainly had potential.

5. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember watching that, but I can't remember if it was any good. Another one that I have vague memories of is Mercy Point, which was about a medical space station in the 23rd Century according to IMDB. I don't remember anything about it other than that it existed and I might have watched it.

6. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Almost Human.

...too soon?

7. Jayson1

You know if your in the mood for something chessy you also have "ALF" and "Small Wonder" to consider.

Also I liked "Earth:FInal Conflict" which was based on a old idea of Gene Roddenberry and also did anyone else also you to watch "TEkWAR" which was based off a book the Shatner most likely pretended to write. It's set in the, near future, and deals with a future drug. It stared Greg Evigan and Dr Weir from "Stargate:Atlantis"

Also you got to watch "Herman's Head." It is one the more fun tv show concepts every done were you see inside a guys head and each emotion is represented by a actor, playing that emotion.

Jason

8. Guy Gardener

Apu and Lisa Simpson ####ed.

9. USS Triumphant

USS Triumphant Vice Admiral Admiral

"Firefly" is obligatory. "Journeyman". "Powerless" was freakin' hilarious and was getting better as it went - it deserved more time.

I'm tempted to second (third? fourth? seventh?) "Wonderfalls", but, I'm always torn about it. I would have loved more, but at the same time, that season/series finale was just such a perfect place to stop the story that I worry they might have ruined it if it went any longer. And I kind of feel the same way about "Limitless".
    It sucked. But regarding "Flash Gordon", I was really hoping for a movie / tv movie / "Chuck" fantasy episode, because Perfect would have been, well, perfect to play Flash, Chuck's sister would have made an awesome Dale Arden, Lester Patel would have been great as Ming, Morgan as Dr. Zarkoff, Big Mike as Prince Vultan, etc. And they even had Timothy Dalton on the show. I wish I had some way to record the shows I see in my head. :D

10. Jayson1

Has anyone here ever watched "Baywatch,Nights" when it became sci-fi in season 2? What was it like?

Jason

11. John Clark

John Clark Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I too enjoyed Powerless and would have liked to have seen more. Almost Human was good too.

USS Triumphant likes this.
  12. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Here are season 2 episodes; go to this youtube link for more:

13. Blamo

Blamo Commodore Commodore

The Robocop TV series was a really strange animal. Despite having none of the violence and grit of the movies, it still managed to pretty much nail down the world. It felt like a good superhero show. It's leaps and bounds better than that awful miniseries, which had the violence but none of the feel.

Also I suppose Bugs:-

Codename Eternity:-

Space Precinct:-

Space Precinct was so bad I couldn't even watch the youtube video. The only reason I remember it is because of Simone Bendix, who was gorgeous.

14. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Seriously? Tell me more. As a fan of the original, I thought the remake was bafflingly wrongheaded. What did you like about it? Were you a fan of the original?

15. USS_Serenity

USS_Serenity Ensign Newbie

Still Can't get over Firefly.
    But Dollhouse is actually a great show as well... Joss Whedon is a mad genius

16. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Never saw more than a couple of random episodes of the original many years before, so I went in with no preconceptions.

It was very weird, the exact kind of weird I like. I was hooked from start to finish.

17. Guy Gardener

Sad :(

Jayson1 and USS_Serenity like this.
  18. Steve Roby

Steve Roby Rear Admiral Premium Member

Ah, okay. I was a fan of the original, so a lot of the remake's deviations puzzled me, and the ending was really off. The two shows are not even vaguely about the same ideas, which left me wondering why they needed to do the remake as a remake instead of as an entirely original show.

F. King Daniel likes this.
  19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I thought it had cool ideas but needed the high concept-ness balanced out a little more to attach you to the characters and ground you a bit.

Also I'm not sure the show really figured out what it was trying to say about terrorism so it just felt like shock value.

20. Jayson1

You know a show I really liked was the tv version of "The Dead Zone" with Anthony Micheal Hall and Nicole Deboer(Ezri) and a few other characters. It was a fun series and it also had a love triangle were you don't got a guy/girl who you are clearly supose to hate which made it work. PLus I kind of just like the gimmick of his powers.

Jason