Scenes from the Kzinti War (the cat's side)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by darkwing_duck1, Jun 15, 2008.

1. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

Apparently I never posted these here, or they've dropped WAY off, so here goes (by request in the other thread)

Three different classes of Kzinti ships, circa late 2160s:

"Fast, maneuverable, and armed with formidible particle cannons, the Kzinti 'Rrralisash' (Standard translation 'Scream and Leap')-class raider made life miserable for remote Federation colonies in and around the border with the Patriarchy during the decade following the end of the Romulan War. The Starfleet designation for this class is 'Cheetah'."

(The example shown here is seen skimming the surface of an L-class desert planet in Sector 727.)

[​IMG]

"Emboldened by the perceived weak response by Earth/Federation forces (who were busy rebuilding and reorganizing Starfleet), the initial wave of raider activity was followed by more serious incursions by larger ships, such as the
    'S'ssurrash' ('Lone Hunter')-class cruisers. The Starfleet designation for these ships is 'Tiger'-class."
    [​IMG]

"Perhaps the pinnacle of Kzinti ship design was the
    'R'rrnizharru' ('Patriarch's Pride')-class battleship. It's main armament consisted of fore and aft batteries of particle beam cannons that had the astonishing (for their day) range of nearly 150,000km, and enough power to punch through most Starfleet shields in one volley. Only a handful of these monster (again, by the standard of the day) ships were ever built, and all were scrapped in accordance with the Treaty of Sirius disarmament provisions in 2177. The Starfleet designation for these ships was 'Lion'-class.

[​IMG]

2. Nerroth

Nerroth Commodore Commodore

I am getting a slight SFBish vibe from some of the ships - which is cool!

(Although, I confess that I like the Star Fleet Universe Kzintis better than the 'regular' Kzinti, so I suppose I'm pre-disposed to seeing things that way...)

3. AmbassadorKosh

AmbassadorKosh Lieutenant Red Shirt

I get the same feel from these, but that's natural, I thought that, aside from ST:TAS, SFB was the only place the Kzinti were found in the Star Trek universe.

4. Sisko_is_my_captain

Sisko_is_my_captain Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks like a really mean salamander. I like mean salamanders.

5. Nerroth

Well, bear in mind that in the Star Fleet Universe, the cat-eared no-tail sentient-female Lyran-and-Carnivon-hating Kzinti/Kzintis seen in the Hegemony (and the WYN Cluster) are somewhat removed from the Kzin/Kzinti seen elsewhere.

(Ironically, the Lyrans - a lynx-like race who were gentically related to, and also mortal enemies of, the SFU Kzintis - have Lion-class dreadnoughts as the biggest ships in their navy - unless you count the Cave Lion-class battleship! Note that the ship linked to is the Tiger-class heavy cruiser.)

Last edited: Jun 15, 2008
  6. AmbassadorKosh

AmbassadorKosh Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've always LOVED the catamaran style Lyran ships, they just look good. I knew the Kzinti from SFB were a bit different from those in ST:TAS and Larry Nivens books, not how much different, but different none the less. It's a shame that main-stream Trek didn't add the Kzinti or Lyrans, they would have made great adversaries for the Federation. In one of the Star Trek movies I saw, what I beleive to be, a Caitan, were they officialized from ST:TAS?

7. MarianLH

MarianLH Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me too, but from a gameplay standpoint they seem depressingly dull. No different from Klingon ships.

Marian

8. Nerroth

Um, really?

With the ESG as a very different system than the drones used by Klingons, the Lyrans have very different tactics on offer - while Klingons are much more likely to try and saber dance, a Lyran captain is more likely to use the ESG to close the range and try to ram!

I'll be interested in seeing how the Lyrans in the new Fed Commander release, Distant Kingdoms, fare in the FC system - the ESG rules are written somewhat differently to fit the FC system, but (in theory) have a similar kind of in-game effect for Lyran captains to consider.

And I think that Caitians are generall considered a 'canon' race in both settings - in the case of the SFU, I guess the upcoming Federation sourcebook for Prime Directive may detail whether this is the case, but bear in mind that there is another feline race in the Alpha Octant - the Korlivilar, members of the Interstellar Concordium.

9. MarianLH

I thought that was the Hydrans, but I just looked it up and you're right, it's the Lyrans that use the ESG. My mistake.

I'm still pretty new to SFB, never actually played anything but the Federation, Romulans, and Klingons.

Marian

10. Nerroth

No probs.

Have you given Fed Commander a go? It's pretty good, the intro pdf is free, and you can get started with the relatively cheap Academy set if the two Border box sets are a bit pricey to start with...

11. MarianLH

I have, and I actually like SFB better. I use the nicer FC map boards and counters for playing SFB though.

Marian

12. Nerroth

Cool!

(Oh, if you haven't already, feel free to pop over to one of ADB's message boards.)

Sorry for derailing this thread with talk of the other Kzintis, by the way!

13. MarianLH

I have, and you can see my account of my first game in the battle report thread. :)

Marian

14. Nerroth

I guess so, if I knew which of the two boards you were referring to, and which username you were posting there as...

15. MarianLH

Same as here, MarianLH.

Marian

16. Nerroth

I see it!

Sorry, a bit slow today...

...oh, and what is it about SFB you like more than FC?

17. MarianLH

Rather than derail this thread (too late! :)), I started a new one in the Trek Gaming forum here.

Marian

18. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

I will admit that I was inspired by the "Dark Stalker", which was developed for the never produced fifth season of Enterprise, and it in turn was inspired by SFB according to the artist. :)

Here's a bonus, my take on the "Traitor's Claw", from TAS "The Slaver Weapon".

[​IMG]

[​IMG]