News 'Sandman' TV Series a Go at Netflix

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Jul 1, 2019.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

They were good, but I can't see Ellis as the Sandman's Lucifer.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't, Jenna Coleman and Gwendoline Christie's versions were different enough that I didn't mind that they weren't Ryan and Ellis.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

@valkyrie013 Matt Ryan and Jenna Coleman played/are playing entirely separate and distinct characters.

The present-day version of Johanna Constantine isn't a genderbent version of John Constantine; she's an Expy created to fill the same role as John in Dream's story because the Sandman series couldn't use John himself.

4. wayoung

wayoung Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't finished the show yet so back to the non spoiler thread for this.

Unfortunately, it's looking like I was probably right - this may be a one and done. Apparently Gaimen has been tweeting that he needs viewership numbers up, and that you need to complete the entire series for it to really count. The show just costs too much to continue unless there are more eyes on it ASAP.

Example tweet. He's been replying to others about it as well.

https://twitter.com/neilhimself/status/1561179123942293505?t=3vKL-L5VQkDAeo-QabOppg&s=19

5. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Conversely, he's been retweeting that the show is still currently number one in quite a few countries around the world (I lost count this morning around a dozen). He also said we won't hear anything from Netflix until after a month of viewing. I saw something somewhere else (I forget where) that the show is the most viewed show in Netflix history, but I might be recalling the exact statement incorrectly

Sooo...let's not be all doom and gloom just yet.

6. wayoung

My pont was, it's not the garunteed 5 season flagship show to replace Stranger Things that others here & in the other thread were saying.

7. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

No show on Netflix is a "guaranteed" five season show after being released for two weeks. Stranger Things picked up viewers and grew in popularity with each successive season. I've certainly got my fingers crossed, but I also remember Cowboy Beebop being number 1 in Canada when it was first released. <Fingers Crossed>

The Nth Doctor likes this.
  8. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Speaking as a huge Lucifer/Ellis fan i am glad they didn't choose Ellis to reprise the role. His depiction of Lucifer in the show was comedy from the start, he was hedonistic and self centered but he was not evil in a sense however the Sandman version is ( at least from the view of a non comic reader like me and the impression i got from the show).

It would have been too jarring for Lucifer fans i believe and wouldn't have worked as well as it did in the show.

9. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Yeah - Netflix' decision process seemed a bit erratic in the last few years but since we don't have hard numbers and background information we can't know why one show continues and the other gets cancelled.

For me personally i hope the show continues for as many seasons as it needs to tell its story or at least the producers get advanced warning so they can write the last to close the show in a somewhat satisfactory manner.

10. theenglish

If the show does get renewed, there is a great Lucifer storyline coming up.

11. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

I really enjoyed it - in particular episodes 4 thru 6. I liked that it wasn't structured as a typical serialised story, but a couple of mini-arcs, a couple of standalones, as well as hinting at the designs of larger players (Lucifer, Desire).

It was #1 down here for a week or two. I don't know if it's been toppled yet.

12. theenglish

It was number one for the first week or so in Canada and has been at number two since. Never Have I Ever and Echoes have been in first.

13. theenglish

14. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Not as good as it is for real trainwrecks but here's the honest trailer

15. The Nth Doctor

That was pretty good, er, honestly. I didn't like the last couple of ones but this one was a lot of fun.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2022
  16. The Nth Doctor

17. wayoung

I'll admit, I was wrong. I'm surprised, but happy.

Commander Troi and 777 like this.
  18. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lets goooooo

19. StarMan

StarMan Vice Admiral Admiral

Great news - especially after clicking some dipshit clickbait saying it was cancelled yesterday.

777 likes this.
  20. Skellington

Skellington Part-time poltergeist Rear Admiral

Wonderful news, if a little unexpected at this stage. The show was shaping up to be a masterwork on several levels, IMHO.