News 'Sandman' TV Series a Go at Netflix

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Enterprise is Great, Jul 1, 2019.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

2. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Very cool.

3. The Nth Doctor

Nerys Myk likes this.
  4. The Nth Doctor

Netflix Geeked has tweeted our first brief behind-the-scenes look of the show with glimpses of the sets and props which all look amazing. I especially love how Neil is absolutely gushing at the sight of his dream coming to life.

That said, I absolutely hate Twitter's insistence of square videos and this video doesn't appear to be available on YouTube.

Richard S. Ta and Starkers like this.
  5. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

I've been rereading the series as prep for the show. Up to Dream Country. I forgot how violent some of the stories were. Preludes and Nocturnes has some pretty graphic elements and does Dollshouse. Be interesting how that translates to the screen.

Richard S. Ta likes this.
  6. The Nth Doctor

I don't know how I was unable to find this earlier but here's the proper YouTube video:

Yeah, I need to go back and reread all of it. Problem is the Absolute Editions aren't the easiest to read through comfortably for a long period of time.

I've also wondered about the scale of violence will be depicted (particularly in "24-Hour Diner"). The early stories were intended to be more horror than fantasy before later scaling towards fantasy outright.

Last edited: Jun 9, 2021
    Forbin and Nerys Myk like this.
  7. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I need to read more of the comics. I read Preludes and Nocturnes a couple years ago, but ended up getting sidetracked by other stuff and never got back to it.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I could be wrong here but hasn't Gaiman said he either regrets writing the stuff that happens in the diner, or that it's the most horrific thing he's written? Something like that anyway! I'll be surprised if they do that element verbatim!

9. The Nth Doctor

Hm, it's possible but I couldn't swear to it one way or the other. I have seen him recently state that he would've used they/them pronouns for Desire instead of it/itself if he was writing The Sandman today, so it's clear that he is continuously and openly reflective about his writing in a modern light.

Starkers likes this.
  10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

How involved has he been with the show? I was under the impression he's been fairly hands on with it.

11. The Nth Doctor

Per Neil just last night:

Good Omens, I wrote every episode and showran it. I was on set for pretty much every decision.

Sandman, I'm working with Allan Heinberg on casting, costumes, major designs, approving scripts, writing bits or talking through problems with Allan, watching all dailies.​

Starkers likes this.
  12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

OK cool.

13. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

I think they'll definitely tone down the diner stuff a bit, possibly take out the rapes. The first seven issues are definitely a lot more shockingly violent than what comes later.

14. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

The thing to know about the series is that Gaiman's concept and plan for the series took awhile to solidify. In the first few issues the series takes place alongside the rest of the DCU and then in the next story line or two Gaiman is writing a straight up horror series before the final tone of Sandman starts to emerge.

The Doll's House is a great story and so is Season of Mists. Dream Country is a collection of stories published in between those where Gaiman really seems to find the voice for the character. I would suggest starting again with Doll's House (a full blown horror story) and keep reading from there with the expectation that the tone of the series changes drastically after that.

15. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't think I've heard that he regrets it; just that he was writing it as a horror series at the time.

Starkers likes this.
  16. CaptainWacky

CaptainWacky More than meets the eye Rear Admiral

I'd say go one issue earlier than Doll's House, if you can, and start with issue 8. It introduces a very popular character.

(Or just read it all with the knowledge that the first seven issues are a bit different.)

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think I remember that issue from when I read the first collection, and it was the best one in it.

18. The Nth Doctor

19. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Must be Netflix Day! Whenever I see Charles Dance I think of Numsie from The Golden Child, funny how our childhood leaves impressions.

Richard S. Ta and FreezeC77 like this.
  20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

They did a big event they called TUDUM (which was supposed to be the sound the logo makes when you open up Netflix) with all the new reveals.
    Definitely like what I saw there. I just hope it's not to much longer before we see more.