S13E03 "Once, Upon Time" BBC1 6.30-7.20pm 14th November

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Nov 12, 2021.

?

Rate "Once, Upon Time"

1. Once In A Lifetime

3 vote(s)
    14.3%
  2. 2

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. 3

6 vote(s)
    28.6%
  4. 4

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  5. 5

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  6. 6

2 vote(s)
    9.5%
  7. 7

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  8. 8

4 vote(s)
    19.0%
  9. 9

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. Not In This Lifetime

1 vote(s)
    4.8%
  1. ThreeEdgedSword

ThreeEdgedSword Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm telling you that kid is at least 8 ys old. Or 20. Unless she really is/ will be the Doctor, which... I hope not.

Commander Troi likes this.
  2. Commander Troi

Commander Troi Geek Grrl Premium Member

Just sounds like my parents... :whistle:

ED-209 and ThreeEdgedSword like this.
  3. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Or maybe her pregnancy was held in stasis for a long time (not unlike Aeryn Sun in Farscape) and she's only gestating now for some unknown reason.

Starkers and Commander Troi like this.
  4. ThreeEdgedSword

I enjoyed listening to this podcast/ discussion of the episode:

5. dupersuper

dupersuper Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So...1 is good and 10 is bad?

Very much agreed.

Or she's watching an old message...

6. JRoss

JRoss Commodore Commodore

Chibnall is really doing much better this year than the previous two. Why couldn't we have had stuff like this back then? I really hope he sticks the landing.

7. CuriousCaitian

CuriousCaitian Commander Red Shirt

Rating this one highly purely because of how much I simply enjoyed watching; I was involved and reacting to a degree I haven't been to Who in a long time, possibly since Smith. Direction, most of the effects work, music, acting, all top notch. I'm genuinely eager to see where this goes.

And, of course, therein lies the caveat. Three eps left to tie an ever-expanding list of elements together in a satisfying manner, because for me there has to be a solid degree of resolution, explanation and progress at the end of this series, not just a black screen with "to be continued in the specials" on it. You can only draw the mystery out so much before you leave yourself with too much to do, and Chibnall may already be past that point.

Speaking of, this is the best writing he's managed in his entire tenure, presistent niggles aside - the flat repetition of a moment others have highlighted, for example - and shows he is capable, just not consistently so. Someone I follow on Twitter suggested that he might not be entirely to blame for the issues with his era, that interference from higher up, in the executive echelons of the BBC, might have played a part. Flux is thus far markedly better because the interference has lessened, and he has more freedom. I consider it a plausible theory, and am very interested to hear the opinions of the TrekBBS Who collective.

Summary: greatly enjoying, but with an underlying anxiety that's growing with every ep that provides no concrete answers. The routine's superb, but you really need to nail the dismount, Chibbers.

David cgc and Commander Troi like this.
  8. ThreeEdgedSword

Mr TARDIS' review:

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

I finally remembered what the second one was- Lytton's distress signal from Attack Of The Cybermen, played with a much lower volume. I can't see it being any more significant than just being something from an earlier Cybe episode as an Easter egg.

10. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Probably just like all of the visual references.

Lonemagpie likes this.
  11. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

I have to wonder if all these call backs are a wink to old school fans. But a wink with a purpose. Maybe not relevant to the story they're in but a more overall indication the Chibnall is also old school. A subtle message saying, don't worry about the TC and how it'll change the mythos. I'm an old school fan too and you'll be fine with the resolution.

Maybe.

Hopefully.