Ryan Coogler to reboot "The X-Files"

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Rich Watson, Mar 28, 2023.

1. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Diversity in the cast wouldn't be an unwelcome change for me, but it wouldn't in and of itself justify a revisit of the concept. It would still have to be *about* something, not just another gimmicky procedural.

You know what would be interesting? If there's never any concrete proof of the paranormal on the show. The original made such a big thing about the sceptic vs. believer angle, except it didn't take long until the proof of actual paranormal phenomena was undeniable and it just paradoxically made Scully look increasingly deluded and in denial, when it should have been the other way around.
    So this time make Scully the one capable of critical thought, and Mulder be the "it's aliens" meme guy, only to be proven wrong every time---oh no wait; that's Scooby Doo! Ah well, almost thought there was an original idea there for a second . . .

2. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The thing is you wouldn't even need private funding. I could see the X-Files being leaked on the Internet. This would make tons of X-Files being explored by fans and people who fancy themselves as journalist. The Lone Gunmen idea but adapted to modern times where people report stuff on their Youtube channel. Or also what Alec Jones was before he went far into the political battles.

They kind of touched on this idea in the last couple of seasons with the Joel McHale character but they would need to improve on that for a new show.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I started a, admittedly v slow, rewatch at the beginning of 2022 (currently nearing the end of S7) and I'm surprised how well it holds up, outside of the techy episodes which really have dated quite badly, it doesn't feel like a 25 year old show. Yes it did go on way too long, and yes you'd hope a modern show might treat Scully a little better, but even nearing the point where Duchovny leaves I'm still coming a cross gems of episodes.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I did a complete rewatch of the entire series back in 2019, and yeah, it really does hold up. Seasons 2 through 5 are especially Amazing Television. Even seasons 6 through 9, though the show was very clearly losing steam are still worth watching, IMO.

I will say season 7 probably indulged on the silly episodes a bit too much. I still enjoyed most of them, the episode which is basically a crossover with Cops being a particular highlight. Still if one were to watch that season independently, they could understandably be left with the mistaken impression that it was a comedy show.

Starkers likes this.
  5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The Cops one is v funny.

I'm finding the quality more variable in season 7, and whilst I understand why it happened, the show is at its best when Mulder and Scully are together and the longer the show goes on the more often this doesn't happen.

To be making 20+ episodes a season with a minimal cast and still be mostly hugely enjoyable was a heck of an achievement though, must have been damn hard on David and Gillian though.

The Wormhole and Turtletrekker like this.