Russell T. Davies Returns to Doctor Who as New Showrunner

It's pretty clear he loves Dr. Who, he just likes to have fun with it and doesn't take as seriously as the stuck up fans who has sticks so far up their asses that they choke on them. You can love something, and still have fun with it and not take it totally seriously.

I don't think he's saying their will be no explanation for Mrs. Flood, they just aren't going to address the 4th wall breaking. Which I was honestly kind of expecting, I don't think really there is a way to explain and have it make sense within the reality of the show.

God forbid that anyone care about anything anymore, we must treat every show and franchise like disposable fluff unworthy of any attachment :rolleyes:. The outright hostility people have to fans who like consistency and a even semblance of continuity is just ridiculous. Its not a character flaw to not want the showrunner of Doctor Who to randomly add incarnations of The Doctor because he thinks its funny, or to want the showrunner to write his mysteries to have actual solutions and not just write them to farm internet engagement. I'm sick and tired of being made to feel like an ass because I like a show to be as consistent with itself as is reasonably possible, like thats something only obsessive fans could possibly want.

"Stuck up fans"? No, fans wanting someone to take their damn job halfway seriously aren't "stuck up". Certain people are not superior because they want to experience things strictly in the most surface level way possible. I don't care if Atlantis has sunk twice on the show, or that Bi-Generation happened or even that I have to keep inventing head canons for all the extra Doctors, Doctor Who in all eras has weird inconsistencies. But, its gotten to the point where the person running the show is actively trying to be a jerk about things, and its not wrong to complain about that. The man literally just makes shit up, writes mysteries without real plans or eye for even basic details and sometimes just does things strictly to annoy the viewers, and I honestly think that all of this is pathetic behavior from a 61 year old who pretends to be a professional at his job.

Their goal was not to make one series a year. They achieved that. (They made two — but it took more than a year I think - which is good going even if I do not think it is wise, or that eight episodes is where they should be aiming)
Going forward it is not their goal to make series of the old length. Whether that then translates into eventually having gaps, or basically doing the 7A/7B thing (which is essentially what they did this time out) at some point remains to be seen.
It’s almost a semantic difference when it comes down to it — they made what would have been one series worth of episodes, but they will be put out over two years.

I was initially impressed by them gearing up and getting production going far enough in advance that they could have decent breaks for staff, post production, etc — but even the specials lost a bit of buzz from being so far in advance. Before we saw a moment of 14 actually on screen, we had already seen his replacement filming. Between that and the lack of anything really anniversary-like in the episodes, it was a real… mood killer. The most unspecial specials. Even Tennants last lot were at least transmitted on holidays.
Now we’ve had two Doctor-lite episodes, a full quarter of what is now considered a series, and there’s a possibility Ncuti isn’t currently even under contract (he’s appearing at a con without it being show promo, that wasn’t usually a thing for actors still on the show prior to now — so either the approach and contracts are changed, or he’s currently between contracts to the show) and whilst ‘season 3’ is being written, it means *most* of the production isn’t ongoing. So any headway is being lost, assuming the show is going forwards.
Even in the seventies and eighties, it was common for there to be a few scripts banked, or production staff working on things essentially just-in-case. Sometimes that was borderline hobby-approach-to-work (like Mike Tucker designing stuff that was never used — modern cybermats) but even in the modern era Moff and Chibnall had balls in the air just-in-case.
At the moment, it does look like the show won’t likely be in full production annually, however they show it, and that lead-actor availability is giving headaches again — which I am not sure should be a problem. It’s not some zero-hour delivery job, even accepting that an actor will want to do other projects between shoots to keep from typecasting or to keep their hand in. But it shouldn’t affect the production. And it is.

As to RTD closing the gaps… well, he’s not so much closing them as papering over them by spreading things a bit thinner in some ways. Again, I’m not sure that’s going to work, even with Moffat basically being holiday cover and doing Christmas — exactly as he did when Chibnall wasn’t ready to go at the start of his era. (Moff is writer and exec producer on the upcoming Xmas special. Like a mini return era-within-an-era from a certain perspective)

It’s very… chaotic. I am not sure that this time it is for the best, and all the stuff that’s come out about Ecclestone’s run and what went on with that makes me question whats going on. Chaos wasn’t good for people then, either.

You seem to be jumping to a lot of conclusions about things we really can't know about without actually being in the office with Russel David and Co. as they're making these decisions.
And the episode count has nothing to do with the popularity of the series, or trying to spread things out or anything like that, it is simply because they are making it with Disney+ now, and most of their shows are around 6 or 8 episodes. Of all the shows I looked at for Marvel, Star Wars, and just general Disney only two had more, one which I can't remember now had 9 and Andor had 12, but all of the rest had either 6 or 8.
God forbid that anyone care about anything anymore, we must treat every show and franchise like disposable fluff unworthy of any attachment :rolleyes:.
Or you could just lighten up and just have fun with it.
The outright hostility people have to fans who like consistency and a even semblance of continuity is just ridiculous. Its not a character flaw to not want the showrunner of Doctor Who to randomly add incarnations of The Doctor because he thinks its funny, or to want the showrunner to write his mysteries to have actual solutions and not just write them to farm internet engagement.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with adding the occasional joke reference in a scene here and there. The Shada Doctor thing was a quick moment that had no real impact on anything, so I really don't see where it's worth getting so upset about. It's not like they brought Richard E. Grant back for a whole episode focused on his Doctor, and then said oh never mind, that episode didn't count.
And his Davies' mysteries have all had solutions, they might not have been what people expected, but it's a absolute solid fact that we did get them.
I'm sick and tired of being made to feel like an ass because I like a show to be as consistent with itself as is reasonably possible, like thats something only obsessive fans could possibly want.
We can have those things, and still allow the fun little easter eggs that are there just of the hell of it.
"Stuck up fans"? No, fans wanting someone to take their damn job halfway seriously aren't "stuck up".
Demanding that a person only do things the way you want, and then throwing a fit, and insulting them when they don't seems pretty stuck up to me.
And just because a person decides to have fun with things every once in a while does not mean they aren't taking their job seriously.
Certain people are not superior because they want to experience things strictly in the most surface level way possible. I don't care if Atlantis has sunk twice on the show, or that Bi-Generation happened or even that I have to keep inventing head canons for all the extra Doctors, Doctor Who in all eras has weird inconsistencies. But, its gotten to the point where the person running the show is actively trying to be a jerk about things, and its not wrong to complain about that. The man literally just makes shit up, writes mysteries without real plans or eye for even basic details and sometimes just does things strictly to annoy the viewers, and I honestly think that all of this is pathetic behavior from a 61 year old who pretends to be a professional at his job.
He's not being a jerk about things, he's just having a bit of fun every once in a while, and with all of the bullshit someone like him has to put up with, I think that's fair.
And I hate to break it to you, but a writer's job is to literally make shit up, none of this is real, so it wouldn't be possible to make the show without making shit up.
And I'm sure he has a plan, we just haven't necessarily seen all of it yet, he's repeatedly said since the finale that this is not the end of Ruby and her family's story.

On the episode count front the show 13 episode seasons mostly brings to mind was Blakes 7. Obviously things like Merlin, Robin Hood and Atlantis on the BBC had 13 episode seasons but they were following the Nu Who model. If you look at the BBC genre stuff coming out before Dr Who returned it was very different.

Randall and Hopkirk Deceased - 6 or 7 episodes
Bugs - 10 episodes
Jonathan Creek - 6 episodes
Crime Traveller - 8 episodes
Neverwhere - 6 episodes

Outside of the BBC you had things like The Last Train and Ultraviolet, both of which were 6 episodes long.

There will also be a joint (!) Doctor Who / Star Trek panel on the Saturday hosted by RTD and Alex Kurtzman. Is Russell finally going to get his crossover? There's never been a better Trek series to do it with than SNW.
Though I kind of doubt it, I am reminded of some comments Anson Mount's been making about SNW S3 having a "really ambitious episode" that "even more bold than the musical." I'll admit, a Doctor Who crossover episode could fit that criteria.

Last edited:
As much as I would love to see such a crossover, I'm managing my expectations. I would not be at all be surprised if it's nothing more than a fun conversation between the two showrunners, gushing over each other's work and respective franchises.

The only actual kind of crossover I would expect is in print or video game. Or a cruise.

I would love to be wrong. So we'll see.

Last edited:
Doctor Who won 'Outstanding Achievement in Family Programming' at the Television Critics Association Awards.

It beat "Heartstopper", "My Adventures with Superman", "Percy Jackson and the Olympians", "Renegade Nell" and "X-Men ‘97".

Doctor Who won 'Outstanding Achievement in Family Programming' at the Television Critics Association Awards.

It beat "Heartstopper", "My Adventures with Superman", "Percy Jackson and the Olympians", "Renegade Nell" and "X-Men ‘97".
As much as I prefer DW over all those shows, I prefered X-Men '97 over this season of DisneyWho.

Sorry.

The Who/Trek panel should be fun, but I'm not expecting any kind of crossover announcement or anything like that to come from it.

I wouldn’t entirely rule out an onscreen crossover at some point— Davies has been interested in the idea since his first tenure— but I’d be surprised if it happened any time soon.

Already posted here* but people might miss it due to avoiding spoilers. The recent hack of Disney data has thrown up some DW related news.

S2 is due to start on the 28th March, which would tie in with set dressing for the Finale placing it in May.

Disney consider it a low budget investment for them, which bodes well for their continued involvement.

*https://www.trekbbs.com/threads/s2-15-spoiler-round-up-lots-of-spoilers-obviously.317054/

Last edited:
'Deadline' have a big article on the series future which is mostly speculation and the same things people have been saying for the past few months.

They do give the most concrete details regarding it's performance on Disney+ though. It was their most watched UK-originating show and the 7th most watched series on the channel during its run.

So basically good but not spectacular but also (crucially) not that expensive.

Last edited:
They do give the most concrete details regarding it's performance on Disney+ though. It was their most watched UK-originating show and the 7th most watched series on the channel during its run.
That claim comes from a third-party analyst, rather than from Disney, and as such is of debatable value; Disney doesn’t release that kind of hard information about performance even to the people who make their shows. Parrot Analytics appears to draw most of its data from social media engagement rather than actual ratings.

The article overall feels like Deadline waded into a discourse it knows nothing about and has no good sources on. When you’re getting your UK ratings analysis from DWAS… Anyone who expresses surprise that regular episodes airing in May have a significantly lower audience than specials airing in November and December doesn’t know enough about how British TV viewership works to be worth quoting.

I also laughed at this:

A rumor has spread that a scene in which a giant snowman falls down and lands on Gatwa’s Doctor at the start of Christmas special ‘The Church on Ruby Road’ was demanded by Disney after filming had wrapped to add exposition for American fans only just coming to the show.
This is a hell of a way to say “RTD openly acknowledged that Disney asked for an early scene featuring the Doctor more prominently so new audiences could see him in action.” Disney’s a contributor same as the BBC; they get to give notes on something they’re paying for…

A certain actor was dropping heavy hints at a recent convention that they are coming back in S2. They mentioned shooting at a country manor; which is where some of the shooting for the Xmas Special was done, for what it's worth.

It was Clare Higgins; though obviously that doesn't necessarily mean she's playing Ohila again.

Back