[Rumor] The complete Saga 4K Bluray box set in the works

Discussion in 'Star Wars' started by Mach5, May 2, 2019.

1. StalwartUK

StalwartUK Captain Captain

I hope they offer the original versions at the very least as an option versus the "improved" versions, even films like The Phantom Menace that have had some tampering done with them over the years.

Considering that there's a high quality scan of at least the first (in order of release) Star Wars floating around even just throwing that in would be better than the LaserDisc rip they went with in 2006.

Conversely I wonder if Disney/LucasFilm themselves have ever considered making their own "improvements" to the films in the past several years. Disney aren't exactly shy about "fixing" up their own classics like cutting a scene from Dumbo for being too racist or not releasing them at all like Song of the South.

2. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

Except that's not what people want.

And "the films as thet were first released" don't exist anyway.

3. Jayson1

Jayson1 Fleet Admiral Admiral

What do you mean they don't exist? They use to be on VCR tapes. Maybe I worded it wrongly but "Star Wars" was around before the first special editions in I think it was 1997.

Jason

Alejandro likes this.
  4. DigificWriter

Changes were made to the films while they were still in theaters.

The versions of the films that people think of as being the original versions are actually edited cuts.

mos6507 likes this.
  5. Jayson1

Actually both of those versions would be nice but I think what people want are the versions they grew up with and have watched a million times by now.

Jason

crookeddy likes this.
  6. DigificWriter

Which Lucasfilm has zero incentive to offer - even if they could - based on cost versus profit.

7. crookeddy

crookeddy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Anything pre-special edition would be accepted by most people I would think.

Alejandro likes this.
  8. Jayson1

I think a HD version of the classic films would actually make tons of money. I mean it's "Star Wars" afterall. Also demand is high because people have been wanting this ever since the first time they felt let down by the alterations.

Jason

Last edited: May 4, 2019
    Qonundrum and BillJ like this.
  9. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

You have no clue of what the cost vs. profit even is.

10. DigificWriter

I think you are grossly overestimating the amount of people who give a crap about an "issue" like this.

11. Jayson1

"Star Wars" isn't just some random movie franchise. Those movies are cultural Icons. I'm pretty sure their are people who would buy this who don't even have any interest in the Disney stuff. Even the prequels and those were also made by George Lucas. Those first 3 films are special in away nothing else in "Star Wars" will ever be, even when it's done well.

Jason

12. Ithekro

Ithekro Vice Admiral Admiral

What they basically want is a remastered version of the first VHS releases, or at least the first box set after the release of Return of the Jedi, since that was what most people saw before the Special Edition came out, and the version that is probably the most fondly remembered prior to the Special Edition.

13. DigificWriter

The vast majority of the people who would potentially buy a Complete Saga boxset are unlikely to care if said boxset contains "unchanged" copies of Episodes 4, 5, and 6, and there is not a large enough portion of those who identify themselves as part of the Star Wars fan community and care about the changes that have been made to warrant Lucasfilm spending the time, money, and effort to find or manufacture cuts of the Original Trilogy that "undo" said changes.

14. Turd Ferguson

Turd Ferguson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Considering I bought the VHS Vader/Stormtrooper/Yoda version, the Special Editions, the DVDs and the Blu-rays (or 4K Blu-rays, in the case of The Last Jedi and Solo), all I can say to Disney is.... TAKE MY MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!111!!!!!

15. Jayson1

I'll take any of them. Just give me back Han Solo shooting first, dump the musical number in Jabba's palace and enough with the bad CGI animals walking around Mos Eisley and Tattonie. Especially the one who actually walks in front of the screen and you can't see what is going on. Plus the tiny robot droids from "Phantom Menace." and we will call it even.:)

Jason

Alejandro and Qonundrum like this.
  16. ialfan

ialfan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm one of the few that doesn't have much problem with the special editions beyond Han shot first. I'd go as far as to say most of the changes are beneficial or at least neutral. I'm excited for this re-release and hopefully some improvements to the CGI in the prequels.

17. BillJ

I don't have a problem with the special editions, beyond their existence makes getting the actual originals harder to get.

Qonundrum and Campe like this.
  18. Jayson1

I was thinking something about the classic movies. I might be wrong but I think the only place you can watch them,well the special editions anyways, is TBS. That means they won't be on the Disney streaming service. I could see them not going with the HD upgade over the pre-special editons because in theory that would only benefit TBS in streaming and they have fully bought into the steaming fad and feel it wouldn't be worth putting it on disks.

Perhaps someday when they pry them away from TBS or basically buy TBS which also makes since because soon Disney will own everything, then that is when they will update them.

Jason

19. BillJ

TBS likely has the broadcast rights for a limited time. Even with those rights, it wouldn't stop Disney from selling new versions on disc and digital.

20. Jayson1

I know they could sell them on discs but they might figure all the money is in streaming rights. As for TBS I think I read where TBS has those rights for quite awhile actually. That Disney tried to get them but they didn't budge. Not sure if that is true or not though.

Jason