Rose and the Doctor

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Von_Steinwehr, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Von_Steinwehr

Von_Steinwehr Lieutenant Red Shirt

I have been watching Doctor Who on www.surfthechannel.com. I have completed the first and second seasons, and I am trying to pinpoint exactly when Rose fell in love with the Doctor and when the Doctor fell in love with Rose. The excellent quality of the writing makes this transition very difficult to locate. Personally, I think Rose started developing feelings for the Doctor when David Tennant arrived. I was curious what other people's thought are. Thanks

2. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

Definitely strong hints in Doctor Dances. My memory's a little fuzzy to be more specific than that.

3. AdmiralGarak

AdmiralGarak Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Rose loving the Doctor: "Dalek", perhaps. The Dalek that scanned her memory did try to get the Doctor to open the blast door by calling Rose the woman that the Doctor loved. Since the Dalek had no way of knowing the Doctor's feelings, he was preobably playing on Rose's feelings and hopes.

The Doctor loving Rose: "Bad Wolf" & "The Parting of the Ways", perhaps.

4. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's a mistake to look for an exact moment. It probably happened fairly gradually, though I think there was a strong attraction from the moment they met. After all, the Doctor made it a point to come back after telling her to run away just to find out her name and introduce himself.

The Doctor had obviously fallen for Rose by the time of "World War Three." That scene in the Cabinet Room says it all: "I could save the world but lose you." And the Dalek in "Dalek" obviously knew that the Doctor had feelings for Rose by the time of that episode. I think Rose probably had feelings for the Doctor by then and wanted him to open up to her about them and pursue her, which was why she brought Adam aboard the TARDIS -- to spark some jealously in the Doctor.

Rose had definitely fallen for the Doctor by the time of "Father's Day," IMO. They were way too angry at each other for both of them not to have fallen for the other by that point. In particular, Rose's line -- "For once, you're not the most important man in my life!" -- sticks out.

Rose and the Doctor were definitely dancing around the elephant in the living room that was their mutual feelings for each other by the time of "The Doctor Dances;" Rose seems to have felt that the Doctor, even if he loved her, was either incapable of or unwilling to engage in a romantic relationship, though she seems to have been trying to get the Doctor to change there. Each was jealous of the other's other attractions by the time of "The Parting of the Ways."

Mind you, neither one was willing to admit to their feelings, and the regeneration, I think, made things weirder for Rose -- even as it also made her more physically attracted to the Doctor than she had been already.

ETA:

If you really want to single out one moment, I suppose I'd point to that moment in "The Unquiet Dead" when the Doctor turns to Rose, grabs her hand, and says, "I'm so glad I met you."

5. WillsBabe

WillsBabe Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Interesting and informative post.

That's interesting you say that because for me, the chemistry between 9 and Rose is so hot it melts the screen. Whether that is "love" I don't know, and I don't know when they fell for each other, but thinking about it, I'm sure that it must be early on in season one.

6. Von_Steinwehr

I say that because in New Earth (season 2, episode 1) Someone inhabits the bodies of Rose and the "new" Doctor. While in the Doctor's body the person says to Rose something along the lines of "you have been looking. You like this Doctor."

7. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

9 and Rose had a very easy, very convincing chemistry. Too often the chemistry between 10 and Rose seemed forced, childish and bloody annoying!

8. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, while I'd say Rose had definitely fallen for the Doctor, I think that his feelings for her didn't advance beyond the typical companion affection for a while longer. He certainly considered her at or beyond the Sarah Jane level of attraction before he regenerated.

Once in a newer, thinner, younger body though, I'm sure Rose felt a little more at ease being in love with someone merely fifteen years (apparently) older than her rather than twenty or more. Not that modern love respects age boundaries anymore, of course. :P

Mark

9. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Doctor was terrified at the idea of saving the world but losing Rose in "World War Three" and implicitly acknowledged that the Dalek's characterization of Rose as the woman he loved in "Dalek" was true when he didn't contradict it. Do you really think that he was that strongly attached to most of his companions?

The Doctor'd fallen for Rose by "World War Three."

I don't know that she felt more at ease per se. I'd say that it was just that the attraction she felt for him was now more overtly sexual than it had previously been (in addition to the already-established emotional attraction).

10. WillsBabe

I hope you don't think I was picking a quarrel with you, because I wasn't. :) I think I remember the scene you are talking about. I took that to mean that she liked this Doctor, too - as well as the previous one.

11. Von_Steinwehr

^ I certainly did not think that. ;)

12. WillsBabe

^ Good. :)